News, but not the serious kind
Let’s do something spontaneous, Baby!
Hey Blog Guy, how come you’re sitting in that huge tub of ice cubes up to your neck?
That’s my new “home.” I eat, sleep and blog here, under constant monitoring.
Sure. A coroner in Ireland has officially ruled that a man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion. The coroner said it’s the first time in 25 years of investigating deaths that he has recorded such a verdict.
So you’re saying a human can actually just burst into flames?
So this is a new hazard that’s going around?
It’s not new. Charles Dickens killed off a character in “Bleak House” by Spontaneous Human Combustion. According to Wikipedia there have been 200 cited cases worldwide over the past 300 years.
What IS new is that I never knew about it before, but now that I do I’m not taking any chances. I could easily have been one of those victims, what with idly sipping from cans of charcoal starter now and then and enjoying flammable cocktails…
I mean, one minute you’re sitting in the drive-through line at a Roy Rogers, the next minute, KABOOM!
It really makes you think, Blog Guy.
Indeed it does. Hey! Guys! More ice cubes over here! What am I paying you for, anyway?
Top: Chen Kecai (L) and Jin Songhao are seen in glass containers during a cold endurance competition on the Tianmen Mountain in Zhangjiajie, Hubei province January 3, 2011. REUTERS/Stringer
Right: Krook, in “Bleak House” publicity photo
Left: Magician Ray Wold lights a hat on fire on Magic Johnson’s head during a commercial break in the taping of Johnson’s new television show, The Magic Hour, in a 1998 file photo. REUTERS/Sringer