Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Come back, Sarah, it’s not too late!

October 6, 2011

Blog Guy, you look pretty upset. What’s wrong?

Are you kidding me? It’s the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. All the potential fun is evaporating before my eyes!

What do you mean?

I still can’t believe it. Sarah Palin now says she’s not running!

Two days ago, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie opted not to run. Donald Trump flirted with a bid, then dropped out.

The great ones are disappearing, and it’s not even 2012 yet! How can I replace the likes of Palin and her version of Paul Revere’s ride? I may as well just hang up my blogging license and become an ornithologist!

Calm down, Blog Guy. Step back from the edge. That corncob guy is still running.

He is? That dude in my very favorite photo? He’s still in the race?

He is. And that congresswoman is still in, too. Remember her corn dog photos?

The one who wished Elvis Presley a happy birthday on the anniversary of his death? She’s still in?

I believe so, yes.

Huzzah! Corncob Man and Corn Dog Lady are still in! I suppose now I have to learn their names?

It probably wouldn’t hurt, Blog Guy.

Top: Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin gestures as she speaks in Woodbury, New York, February 17, 2011. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

Right: Real estate magnate and television personality Donald Trump speaks in Las Vegas, Nevada April 28, 2011. REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus

Bottom right: U.S. Republican presidential candidate and Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann reacts as she puts mustard on a corn dog at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, Iowa, August 12, 2011.  REUTERS/Daniel Acker

Left: Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney (L) looks at an ear of a corn during his visit to AgVision Agriculture Software, as CEO Jose Laracuente looks on in Ankeny, Iowa May 27, 2011. REUTERS/Brian C. Frank

Comments

“Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney (L) looks at an ear of a corn…”

This may be the best caption. Evah.

Sorry, it’s my day off tomorrow, so I’m finding humor in things easier than I normally do.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Stock in the Tea Party just went up by 15%.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

So for the Republican Presidential nominees that leaves:
Michele BTO
Mitt ‘Corn Ears’ Romney
Pizza Guy
Ron ‘Big Mouth’ Paul
Rick ‘No Evolution’ Santorum

The sheer quality of these candidates should gladden the heart – of all Barrack O’Bama supporters

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Hold on a minute, Blog Guy. You have a license to use this thing? What does it require to get licensed?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a current events haiku:

Palin out of race
Corn cob and Corndog are in
But I miss Steve Jobs

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@Spinny – by coincidence, the only licensing requirement is a degree in ornithology ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

“Here I come, Mr President! The next time that I see you, I will have this pretty rock in my hand! No more Corn Dogs used for sacrifical offerings! Peace out!”

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Georgia, Spin: I bet my philologist’s lutanist that the Blog Guy’s got a licensing agreemet with Wikipedia or the OE (that’s the Oxford English) Dictionary to bring big words like “haberdasher” and “ornithology” back into more common use. Can you settle the bet BG?

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Que Sarah Sarah
Whatever will be, will be
The corn dog’s not ours to see.
Que Sarah Sarah
Whatever will be on Blog OE.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

A little rewrite…From “The Man Who Blogged Too Much”:

When I was just a wee voter
I asked my pollster, for which party
Do I go Dem, do I go GOP
Here’s what they wrote to me.

Cue Sarah, Sarah,
Whatever will be, will be
The corn dog’s not ours to see.
Cue Sarah, Sarah.
What will be, find out on OE.

When I was a conservative
I asked the Blog Guy what lies ahead?
Will we have our jobs, day after day?
Here’s what our blogger said.

Cue Sarah, Sarah.
Whatever will be, will be
The corn dog’s not ours to see.
Cue Sarah, Sarah.
What will be, find out on OE.

Now I have comments of my own
Read by others, for all to see.
Will I be spiteful, will I be curt?
I write them tenderly.

Cue Sarah, Sarah,
Whatever will be, will be.
That corn dog’s not ours to see
Cue Sarah, Sarah,
What will be, will be.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

And the award for best combination song parody and movie reference goes to….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@FriscoJohn: You nailed it twice today between “Wash that ‘bot right out of my hair” and “Cue Sarah, Sarah.” You totally get the doughnut award today with whatever kind of sprinkles you want.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Just give it time. As long as there are “Republicans” in the race – as long as they are allowed to TALK – you will continue to be fed Blog Fodder.

I promise.

(Life-long Independent Democrat)

Posted by lceel | Report as abusive

Nice one Frisco John. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Corn-cob Mitt flopped his flip
BT’s overdrive’s in the pits
Hangman Rick opened his lips
Dr. No gets booed by nitwits
The rest rival a family of drips.

Now Sarah joins the sideliners,
Who all resemble sidewinders–
If The Donald is any judge.
Where’s the end of this sludge?

Answer: Baz/Lamar 2012!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

abso-freakin-lutely, JC!!

save us Baz/Lamar. You’re our only hope!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@69Spinster…Thanks for the accolades. Actually I’m partial to crullers. Whatever happened to them?

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@Frisco: Ah, I’m sorry. The BF had one just the other day. He might have had the last one. May I offer you another kind of doughnut? I can fling it to to you with a trebuchet, and you can eat it, along with a corny dog, at the Texas state fair. Corn Dog Lady would approve.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/01/28/come-to-the-border-for-a-fling/

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Hey BG, is Mitt and his corn cob pic going to give Eugene “Toilethead” Johnson a run for his money in the Most-Appearances-in-the Blog category?

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Sure. Who could pass up a shot like that?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@69Spinster: Hurl it high enough to come down on Sunday. That is when I make my gastronomic sojourn to the Texas State Fair.

Let’s see….Where should I begin? Fried pineapple upside-down cake, autumn pie, buffalo chicken in a flapjack, kraut balls, walking taco, and deep fried Texas Salsa. And let’s not forget the obligatory Corny Dog. I think I’ll pass on the Fried Bubblegum, though. I know, the grand finale should be the fried Lipitor and Alka-Seltzer. So many calories, so little time…

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive