Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Lemme just hack away at this gizmo…

October 7, 2011

Blog Guy, I’m looking for a new career and I know your advice is the best. I picked up a colorful brochure called, “The Exciting World of Battlefield Rocket Repair,” and I was wondering if you think that’s a good way to go?

That brochure is really making the rounds, isn’t it? I hear from lots of young people, captivated by the opening lines, “Hey, have you always wanted to see Libya?”

So, what do you think? Would I need to learn to use a lot of complicated tools?

Not really. You can see this guy in the photo working on a sophisticated Grad rocket, and he’s just using a knife.

Yikes! Using a knife on a Grad rocket? That seems pretty dangerous!

Hey, there are worse jobs than his.

Like what?

So where would I go to learn how to repair this kind of rocket?

You really want me to say it?

Sure, go for it, Blog Guy, it’s a Friday!

Grad school…

Top and right: An anti-Gaddafi fighter uses a knife on a Grad rocket from a strategic checkpoint, north of the besieged Libyan city of Bani Walid, September 30, 2011.

Left: Anti-Gaddafi fighters prepare a Grad multiple rocket launcher from a strategic checkpoint, north of the besieged Libyan city of Bani Walid, September 30, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Saad Salash

Comments

My lovely K Bar Marine Fighting Knife and Rocket Repair Tool is outraged by your cavalier handling of such a touchy matter, Mr Blog Guy!

George the Crab still idolizes you, though!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

In Star Trek the expendable crew member always wore a red shirt – I see that in Libya they always wear a blue one.
So if you ever visit there, just make sure you’re not standing next to the dude wearing the blue shirt.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

So…if they did this training virtually, they’d be e-Grads? E-gads!

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

I like the way the Grad launcher is lashed to the pickup truck bed with clothesline. You can get your clothes dried to a crisp with just one volley!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I bet few students make the same mistake twice.

Soar into the stratosphere…Join the OE Blog Network

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

“That’s not a knife….THAT’S a knife”.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

“Like that guy behind him, who has to pour a bottle of water on the Grad rocket if it starts to take off.”
Might help him if he took the cap off first though…

Get ready to get ready with the OE Blog Network

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

I hope those red marks underneath the Grad rocket aren’t the result of knife nicks.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

It’s the best job of your life
You work on a Grad rocket with a knife
You might get a nick
But it’s over with quick
At least you don’t have the water-pourer’s strife

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Another way to career advancement
Fill up your resume with ordinance management
Cut a swath with your knife
Just don’t lose your life
By banging too hard on the casement

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Hmmmmmm … I guess you only get one shot at that job.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

The Central European University in Budapest is advertising a tenure-track professorship in law and legal studies.

It’s a beautiful day outside my office window. The document I’m drafting is tedious. And I’m tired.

Seagulls balance on
the breeze in front of distant
Fall leaves in the sun.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Those are experienced Grad rocket hunters ladies and gentleman, you should never try to hunt a Grad rocket yourself. It took three of them to hold the thing down but look at Lonnies technique is severing the detonation artery killing the rocket instantly! They pack their kill in their truck and on to the taxidermist! The Grad rocket mades a fine display in any hunters show room.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

HaHaHaHaHa! Especially if you want to go with a BANG!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Doc: lovely lines.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Now, I just need to get Mrs. Doc to apply for the CEU job, so I can retire and be a kept man.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I still think they’re just messing with somebody’s wood leg.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

I still think they’re just messing with somebody’s wooden leg.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Is it so bad for someone with a healthy dose of inquisitiveness trying to get a little bit of facetime with the innards of a nice rocket, which was actually created to just go off harmlessly in the stratosphere?

Which means a bit of latitude to any of the suppositions, above listed…

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

I love all of the answers, but iflydaplanes thing with the rocket dismantlers hustling the poor rockets body off to their basement, to be taxidermizated still has me snickering, 24 hours later!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

uncarastus, agreed. ifly FTW.

Did anyone notice that the two gentlemen in the background of Pic 1 must have switched hats?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive