Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

What’s wrong with this picture?

October 12, 2011

Blog Guy, I’ve been seeing photos of well-armed rebels in Yemen in recent days, and I notice a lot of swollen cheeks. Are those plucky lads in need of major dental care?

No, don’t worry about that. These guys are just getting stoned on a leaf called qat.

According to Wikipedia, qat contains an amphetamine-like stimulant which is said to cause excitement and euphoria.

But…but…but… That one guy is holding a huge honking rocket-propelled grenade! Should he be doing that?

Oh, don’t worry, it’s no worse than giving Ozzy Osbourne the keys to a fully-armed battle tank.

But you wouldn’t DO that!

You make a good point. An RPG is kind of extreme, but these guys on the right are also chewing qat, and they have nothing more dangerous than AK-47s and semiautomatic pistols.

Don’t they fire those weapons?

Only when they’re excited or euphoric…

Top: A defected army soldier chews qat, a mild stimulant, while securing the frontline of a site of recent clashes with forces loyal to Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, in Sanaa October 8, 2011.

Right: Defected army soldiers chew qat, a mild stimulant, as they secure the frontline of a site of recent clashes with forces loyal to Yemen’s President Ali Abdullah Saleh, in Sanaa October 8, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Ahmed Jadallah

Comments

Bottom shot: Latest additions to the boy band “Fingerbang.”

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

What is wrong with these pictures is that none of the guys are digging into their weapons with their knives!

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/10/07/lemme-just-hack-away-at-this-gi zmo/

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

A side effect of qat (or khat) is impotence. Hence, the need for the big RPG and AK-47s.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

‘They stab it with their steely knives’ then they watch it go KA BLOO(y)!

George the Crab thinks that he wrote for the Eagles. Mr B, can’t you just send some insignificant gift to make him feel as if he won something for describing ‘What’s wrong with this picture?’ Then I won’t have to listen to his complaints about prejudice against Rubber Crabs for, like forever!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

This is one time I will happily admit that I don’t know qat.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

is QAT in the Scrabble dictionary?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

It is haiku time:

Chewing on some qat
While holding an RPG
Dangerous combo

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Think I’ll join you Spin:
Thugs with guns chew qat
All day long, in the sun. Hey!
Play Scrabble instead!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: Even if these fellows don’t take your advice, we now know of a great way to use our “Q” in Scrabble when we’re missing a “U” or a blank tile.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

The doors behind that fella are pretty. Do you think I could get a cheap salvage rate for them?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Hell yeah I would give the keys to a fully-armed battle tank! Are you kidding, the shennanigans that would entail would be friggin hilarious! A reality show would be made of it and you all know you would watch!

You know you would!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Misplaced apple?

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

One could also write “qat” as “khat” if I’m not mistaken, and that would be just as good for a scrabble game. It would of course have a baseline score that is less than “qat” by 1 point, but at least with a four letter word you are more likely to land your letters on point-boosters.

Given that SHRA (7 points) is away, I think I’ll be spared the taser for being educational.

Still, I hope I didn’t bite off more than I can chew with this post… Am I euphoric yet?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Malty, you are always euphoric!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Malteser, @jclimacus, and other Commenters: Let’s all go to Yemen and play a game of Scrabble. What do you say? @jclimacus, can you bring your set?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

SHouldn’t it be “Qut’s wrong with this picture?”

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

We can play here Spin. Find words using the letters LYGGOUB.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Excellent idea, Spin, I’m packing as we speak.
@Malt: I know that one… what? oh darn, personal names aren’t allowed in Scrabble, are they?

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

If we’re going to Yemen, don’t forget to wear appropriate headgear:
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/02/04/be-sure-to-wear-some-flour-in-y our-hair/

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

To Ozzy. That should be I would give the keys to a fully-armed battle tank to Ozzy.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@jclimacus, I didn’t say you should find names, I only asked for two words. Seems you got them, you deserve a doughnut…

Buy one.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

It’s not the Qat, it’s the brand spanking new uniforms. Wonder who’s paying for that?

Posted by BDStyers | Report as abusive