Have another round? No, I mean drinks!

October 13, 2011

Blog Guy, I need some of your great advice on home entertaining.

Is it something that can be solved by a fancy Williams-Sonoma gadget?

Not this time. I’ve invited some of those anti-Gaddafi soldiers over for a home- cooked dinner, and I’m wondering if there’s anything special I should know. We’ll start with pre-dinner drinks in the living room.

That sounds lovely. Make sure they have a clear line of fire.

Excuse me? Clear line of fire?

You know, they’ll want to use your sofa’s arm rest for their assault weapons, so you should only put one fighter on each piece of furniture.

Yikes! What about my dining room? I’ve planned a formal setting for an eight-course meal with my Limoges china. Is that okay?

Sure, as long as the guys can squeeze off a few rounds from an open window between the soup and fish courses.

This is kind of scary, Blog Guy. When the shooting starts should I take shelter in the bathroom?

Probably not. Sometimes those guys like to blast away on full automatic in the bathtub, just to hear the brass hit the porcelain. Have a good time.

Top: An anti-Gaddafi fighter prepares to lay down heavy fire from inside an apartment to suppress Gaddafi snipers as they push forward towards the centre of Sirte October 10, 2011.

Left: An anti-Gaddafi fighter lays down heavy fire from an apartment window to suppress Gaddafi snipers as they push forward towards the centre of Sirte October 10, 2011.

Right: An anti-Gaddafi fighter prepares to lay down suppressive fire from inside an apartment as they push forward towards the centre of Sirte October 10, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Anis Mili

Ah, the Libyan version of the biathlon.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

In New York, an apartment with two elevators that go directly to it is a rarity. Now I know why this person has Limoges china.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Man, those anti-Gaddafi fighters sure are supressive. Maybe a little “couch time” would help….
Wait, don’t shoot! I was talking about psychotherapy.

I have a friend who lives out in the woods and hunts deer from his bathroom window. He says the same thing about the brass hitting the bathtub (but only single shots…definitely NOT fully auto).

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Technically, is that hunting if you just shoot something out your bathroom window? I mean, living room, sure, that’s hunting, but the bathroom?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Personally, I prefer the kitchen window…It’s that much closer to the stove!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Frisco, the third one seems to be participating in a “bathlon” actually.

As for the rest of the pictures, I’m sure the host gets a lot of complaints from his neighbours about the oft-noisy guests he invites over…

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Limoges china eh? That’s a very specific thing. I can’t imagine that’s something one would have a random knowledge of. Did you just let slip a hobby of yours Mr. B.?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Dear Martha Stewart, I was wondering what the correct etiquette is for automatic weapons at the dinner table?
Is it soup spoon, entree knife, AK-47, main knife, or does the AK sit BETWEEN the soup spoon and the entree fork.
Thanks.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Nosmo, that kind of depends on whether you fixed your knife as a bayonet on the AK – it would obviously change things around a bit.

And no, you cannot affix a fork instead. That would definitely not qualify as correct etiquette.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser: Sounds like you’re ready to write the next etiquette column for Reuters news. I can’t wait.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

[...] Have another round? No, I mean drinks! [...]

@Spin: Last I heard that was still BG’s job. I won’t intrude unless I’m invited.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser: Other folks write the etiquette columns, and the Blog Guy refers to, clafifies, expands upon, and riffs on them. You can totally write the next etiquette column for Reuters, and the Blog Guy will have things to say about it. Then you can both go out for a doughnut from the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop and eat the doughnut with the correct fork.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Nosmo, I do believe that Doc, Mr B, Dave and I all shared in the common day practice of eating while heavily armed! I still do…and if that waitress doesn’t show up soon…well, use your imagination. I DO have a CCW on my license, which means I have a stamp that lets me carry concealed weapons.

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive