Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Oh, so this is a SERIOUS bike lane!

October 16, 2011

Okay, listen up, troops! I’ve got your duty assignments for the anti-Gaddafi army!

Smith, you’re riding in a tank. Jones, you’re a bombardier. Williams, you fire rocket-propelled grenades and blow up big stuff all day long. Johnson, you’re on Bike Patrol. Williams, you’re…

Um, excuse me, Sarge?

What is it, Johnson?

Well, you know, I mean it doesn’t sound very cool to just ride a bike.

Really, Johnson? But it’s a ten-speed two-wheeler, very shiny, and you get to shoot your AK-47 from the handlebars.

Yeah, but it sounds kind of dangerous, what with all the heavy weaponry around.

I mean, I’ll be pedaling along the front lines at 15 miles an hour. How fast can those artillery shells travel?

I think they go a little faster than that, Johnson. You’d better try to pedal harder…

An anti-Gaddafi fighter rides on a bicycle as he heads to the frontline in the center of Sirte October 12, 2011. REUTERS/Saad Shalash

Comments

is it true they get extra cool points and a free donut at the GFM&DS if they make the OE Blog?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I shot TWO Prius today so far! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@ifly…that’s Prii.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true.
I’m half crazy over the likes of you.
It won’t be a stylish marriage
I can’t afford a carriage
But you’ll look sweet upon the seat
of an AK-47 for two.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@Frisco, Priusesses.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Atia had the fall cycling season in mind when he chose this ensemble. He dares to pair jungle camo with a pop of color, sticking with neutrals for footwear and chapeau. Could the choice of purple be a subtle hint at his hidden royal lineage?

Join the OE Blog Network…c’mon, all the cool kids are doin’ it!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I have missed the Blog!!!

Did anyone think that might just be a toy AK-47? Little cousin Osmar wants to play too!

Welcome back, Shra!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@ifly … LOL!

My paper route would have been a lot more fun if I had THAT bike.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

SHRA!!!!! Welcome back :P

rut roh…we need to mind our Ps and Qs kids. This nun has a zapper instead of her trusty ruler (and she’s not afraid to use it!)

:) Join the OE Blog Network…make it a habit! :)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Is this an appropriate Welcome Back post for Shra? (Well, I guess those are interesting boots he’s wearing)

Shra … we haven’t learned a THING from this blog while you were away (wink, wink, nod, nod) :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I wouldn’t make fun of using bikes in war zones. While it lacks the machismo of other transportation methods, it’s not clear from the article this guy isn’t patrolling as bicycle police do, using less energy to cover a wider area. Further, perhaps this soldier, along with the US military, is learning what tree-huggers have said for a while: conserving fossil fuels makes sense, especially as petroleum costs time, money and lives. Frankly, I’m surprised and disappointed Reuters did not acknowledge this.

Posted by dkearney | Report as abusive

Where’s Shra when you need her? Who will do the honours with Mr/Ms. dkearney?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

OH WAIT! Just noticed she IS actually back. Somehow she must have sensed the serious comment… lol

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser: Nah, @dkearney isn’t teaching anyone anything other than the fact that s/he missed that this is a humo(u)r blog.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

If you have to ask your sarge if artillery shells can travel faster than a bicycle perhaps you shouldn’t be allowed to carry a weapon that shoot real bullets.

Posted by Spinhound | Report as abusive

Welcome back, Shra! George is dancing in honor of your return!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

It’s great having you back, Shra. We missed you.

Folks, what do you say we chip in for a bicycle for Shra that she can ride while she uses the taser — kinda’ like the man in these photos?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

maybe training wheels should be standard on the AK-47 bike. A loss of balance could be deadly…and cause a flat tire.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I like that idea very much, Spin..
Now, where did I put my taser…

nice post friend