Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Well, time to slap the old vodka bottle!

October 18, 2011

Blog Guy, I know you’re an expert on other cultures, and I have a question.

I just heard an Eastern European expression, “slapping the old vodka bottle.” Jeez, I’m really hoping that’s not a euphemism for…

No, it’s not. Relax. In some countries, they open a bottle of vodka by slapping the bottom until the cork comes out.

The cork? But these days, vodka bottles have screw-tops!

Well, then I guess they could be at it for quite some time. That’s why they normally bring along a plate of sausages, to keep their energy level up.

So slapping the bottom of a bottle is a totally pointless tradition in the 21st century? It accomplishes absolutely nothing?

I wouldn’t say that. If you need to get the last bit of ketchup out of a bottle for your burger, this is the guy to ask…

Tomasz Bodzicz of Poland opens a bottle of vodka in a traditional style as he sits in the back of a truck in front of Poland’s embassy, during a protest in Bucharest, Romania, October 9, 2011. REUTERS/Radu Sigheti

Comments

It’s a little funny that a Polish man is protesting at the Polish embassy in Bucharest, Romania. I would have expected, perhaps, Romanians — not Polish people — to protest the Polish embassy.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

The heights and the lows that your mind visits, Mr Blog Guy! Now excuse me, I have to see a man about a horse…

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

A slap on the back is quite common in Europe. :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Bring on the vodka! Careful with the cork tho, I dont want you wasting the good vodka..

Old Romanian saying:
Mai bine să palmă vodca dumneavoastră în public decât să palmă kielbasa tale in public.

Better to slap your vodka in public than to slap your kielbasa in public.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Tomasz Bodzicz is wearing a tuxedo — or at least a bow tie — to a protest. That’s quite different from the usual Occupy Wall Street garb.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

A slap on the base may be quite continental
But a corkscrew is a drunk’s best friend

Square gin or beer glut, these guys fall on their butt
A corkscrew is a drunk’s best friend

A corkscrew, and I don’t mean an air pump, is a drunk’s best friend

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Really, RB, where is your mind today? Vodka, sausages, Paris, Kim???

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

Is he representing the “Sausage and Vodka” platform? That’s one sure way to bring in the votes!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

If that’s the pepper flavoured vodka, that could go really well with sausages.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

When in Romania, do as the Poles do. Cheers! Gen Dobry!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@AllThatJazz: Put corn meal around those sausages, put them on a stick, take a pic of the Blog Guy eating one, and then I’ll believe that he’s on the campaign trail.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

The caption doesn’t say Mr. Bodzicz is a part of the protest, it just says he is there during it. Slapping bottles of vodka. ‘Cause why not?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Tomasz was hoping his slap the bottle style would get him noticed by BG in time for the European launching of the Shall Lamar fragrance line. Now, if he could just trade those sausages for doughnuts…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I’m not sure if there is anything wrong with this picture. Vodka, sausages and slappping sounds like a pretty fun time to me!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Did Mr.Spam Filter mess around with Sarabelle’s comment? Sure looks like it to me..
CG, I tried pepper flavoured vodka when I was at home, and I loooooved it! :P

No, Shra, Mr. Spam Filter did not mess around with Sarabelle’s comment. Indeed, he seems to have approved it twice….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

maybe Mr. Spam Filter slapped the Vodka bottle one time too many ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Mr. Spam Filter might be getting tired of spam and is longing for Romanian or Polish sausages instead.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive