Farewell to the Gaddafi Goof-O-Rama

October 21, 2011

Blog Guy, have you been crying? What’s the matter?

Oh, you know, I just hate to see Muammar Gaddafi go.

Are you nuts? He was a brutal dictator, overthrown by his own people!

Sure, but he was a madcap, zany goofball, too. He was in a class all by himself, and my blog was richer for him.

So it’s all about you and your blog and your goofy stuff, Blog Guy? Everything in the world?

Sure, now that you mention it. All I had to do was search our photo file for his name, and there he was. Meeting a foreign leader next to his ornate Kleenex box

Or driving around with Hugo Chavez, or steering his “Mr. Toad” Club Car, or making an origami swan at the United Nations…

He wasn’t really making origami, Blog Guy.

I know, but it was close enough for my needs. And always that same puzzled look on his face. Sniff…sniff…

There there, Blog Guy. Here, dry your eyes with this tissue.

Tissue? Is it from a hand-carved Gaddafi Kleenex box? Did he leave one behind for the Blog Guy?

Top: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi during meeting with Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, May 26, 2009. REUTERS/Ismail Zetouni

Right: Gaddafi pretends to rip a Charter of the United Nations and Statute of the International Court of Justice as he addresses the 64th United Nations General Assembly at the U.N. headquarters in New York, September 23, 2009. REUTERS/Mike Segar

Left: Venezuela’s President Hugo Chavez drives Gaddafi’s limousine as they arrive at an event in Margarita Island, Venezuela, September 28, 2009. REUTERS/Miraflores Palace/Handout

Bottom left: Gaddafi drives his personal cart in Tripoli after making a speech which he sought to defuse tensions after more than 10 days of anti-government protests in Libya, March 2, 2011. REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah

More Stuff from Oddly Enough

There there, BG, you can replace Gaddafi with more pics of say, Putin? Or how about Chavez? Goofy Prince Charlie?
Hey, I know! How about Sarah Palin!

uh…my deepest sympathies for your loss?

you still have Hillary, BTO, Crazy Sarah, Wacky Mitt, Goofiest World Leader Dude, the FLOTUS and the POTUS, etc. Next year is a presidential election year!

and if all else fails, http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/10/14/well-always-always-always-have- paris/

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

you are saying that ” my blog is richer for him” may be other blogs are richer for him. lolx. great jok
my last post Toronto Airport Limousine

Posted by airporttaxigta | Report as abusive

Yeah, and the fashion world will also mourn his loss…it was definitely richer for him. Sniff, sniff….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Better headline: No more Muammar. Cheer up, BG. Someone else will soon fill the void.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Tough times at the Blog Guy office, as first Hugo Chavez gets cancer and now Gadaffi gets a lead labotomy.
I’d say that I feel your pain, but to do that I would have to stop laughing first.
On a completely unrelated topic, has anyone else noted how often media types have started using the word ‘optics’ to describe a situation that looks bad?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I have a great idea. Why don’t you have a temporary exhibit — or a permanent new wing — dedicated to Gaddafi at the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

Good-bye, Gadaffi
We are sad to see you go
And your goofy pics

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

What? There isn’t ALREADY an exhibit of Gaddafi at the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop? What was up with that animatronic version of him that was eating doughnuts out of a hand-carved wooden box in a very confused manner? You mean that was really HIM?

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

You know. I always thought that Gadaffi’s problem was one of optics. He always came off as just one mean old dictator. I don’t think he would have had all those problems if had done something to soften his image. Like maybe modififying his name to something like Gadaffiduck.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, wouldn’t the Muammar car make an excellent bumper car attraction at the GFM&DS? You know, something for the kids, while the parents enjoy the more serious side of the place, such as the Goofy Prince Chuck Hall of Mirrors or the Vlad Putin manly-man gymnasium and shooting range?

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Moonshine, I agree with you! No more Mr G strutting around in his trend setting dresses! And don’t cry, Mr Blog Guy! Shall I send you one of my rubber George/Georgia the Crab? He or she can squeak you back to the giggling guy that we all love and admire!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Yep, that was the real Gaddafi when you visited the museum. The only animatronics we have are me and Lamar. Fooled you, didn’t we?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

the GFM&DS is a scaled down Westworld? Eeeeek!!!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

yeah, scaled WAY down, Georgia. we find it’s better to manage expectations at the museum…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Mr B: “The only animatronics…are me and Lamar.”
Speak for yourself, sir, but Lamar’s mom and I agree it’s labels like that which have held my Lamar back in his otherwise rocketing career. Kids said all kinds of mean stuff in the early grades, and later, so did most of his infrequent employers. Do you have any idea how hard it is to swim upstream once you’ve been labeled “animatronic”?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Isn’t it about time for you to visit the museum, ladylala? You’ll get VIP treatment…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@ladylala, you are awesome.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@nosmo: optics – distortion lenses to make the truly horrid newsworthy? I’m thinking I want blinders this weekend to avoid all the craziness for a couple of days.

@ladylala: Loved the Gadaffiduck! Apparently he didn’t. Duck, that is. On second thought, that “u” could have been replaced with another vowel.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I just uncovered a small poem written by Muammar, addressed to the BG.

“It won’t be easy
You’ll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your blog!
After all that I’ve done
You won’t believe me.

All you will see
Is a man you once knew
Although he’s dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

I had to let it happen
I had to change
Couldn’t stay all my life chased by rebels.
Looking out of the drain pipe
Staying out of the sun
So I chose freedom (fighters)
Running around trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it too.

Don’t cry for me Mr. Basler
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don’t keep your distance

And as for fortune and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world
They were all I desired
They are illusions
They’re not the solutions
They promise to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and origami!

Don’t cry for me Mr. Basler

Don’t cry for me Mr. Basler!
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don’t keep your distance

Have I said too much?
There’s nothing more I can think of to say to you
But all you have to do
Is look at me to know
That every word is true.”

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser: Bravo! Bravo! Neither Patti Lupone nor Madonna could have said it better.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Nosmo – I am LIKING “lead lobotomy”. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Spin, thanks. I hope the BG recovered by now. I can imagine him singing to the tune and remembering the goofy Muammar, all the while with tears shedding down his cheeks…

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

BG, I think you have enough material to come up with a OE Blog Musical…
Leading actors could be JC, Spin, Malt, FriscoJohn, LadyLala, Georgia…
I would be in the audience, making sure no one learns..

The musical idea is brilliant Shra… we’d have a track called “You’re the One that I tase!” and it would go like this, (with apologies to Newton John and Travolta)

B: I got pains.
They’re multiplyin’.
And I’m losin’ control.
‘Cause the tasin’
you’re supplyin’,
it’s electrifyin’!

G: You better dumb down,
’cause I need a fool.
and my eyes are set on you.
You better dumb down;
you better not learn
to my heart just be a fool.

B: Nothin’ left, nothin’ left for me to know.

Both: You’re the one that I tase.
(you are the one i tase), o,o, oo, honey.
The one that I fry.
(you are the one i fry fry), o,o,oo, honey.
The one that I shock
(you are the one i shock shock), o,o, ooooo
The one idiot.
Oh, yes idiot…

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser: Fantastic! Oddly Enough: The Musical is practically ready to go into rehearsals now.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Malt, that is fantastic!!!
I am saving this.. :)

@Malteser: a standing ovation!!!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Hah..glad you like that! Shra, you should have said it’s fan-tase-tic. Would be more in character.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive