Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

All aboard for the Lipitor City Express!

October 24, 2011

Readers of this blog know I have little patience with “stories” that not only state the obvious, but find it necessary to deliver the information in list form, for folks who are intimidated by paragraphs.

Hot on the heels of “8 Foods to Banish from your Diet” I have stumbled upon another time-waster, headlined “10 High-Cholesterol Foods to Avoid.”

SPOILER ALERT: Three of the 10 have the word “fried” in their names, and two more have the word “cheese.”

That’s right, it turns out fried chicken, fried eggs and French fries are not actually health foods. Nor are cheeseburgers or macaroni and cheese.

Hang on to your hats, because “although chicken is usually considered to be a good low-fat meat choice, how you cook it can make a big difference.”

No way!

It gets better. Did you know that snacks may be bad for you? “Whether it’s fried, au gratin, crispy, or stuffed, many of the things we love to eat are bad for our cholesterol levels.”

The “story” goes on to inform us that “…a single cup of ice cream has more fat than a hamburger and more cholesterol than 10 glazed doughnuts.”

What an eye-opener! No ice cream for me from now on, I’ll just opt for the 10 doughnuts, instead.

The “story” further reminds us that liver is very high in cholesterol. Hey, thanks for making me eat so much of it when I was growing up, Mom. Why didn’t you just shoot me, instead?

Anyway, if I want to know what food I should avoid, I don’t need a list like this to tell me. I’ll just follow the presidential motorcade.

Top: A plate of fried eggs are pictured at a Washington cafe, August 23, 2010. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Right: Screen grab from “10 High-Cholesterol Foods to Avoid.”

Left: President Barack Obama is served fried chicken as he visits Mrs. Wilkes’ Dining Room in Savannah, Georgia March 2, 2010. REUTERS/Larry Downing

Right: Obama eats an ice cream at DeWitt Dairy Treats in DeWitt, Iowa, August 16, 2011. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Right: Obama buys two Philadelphia Cheese Steak sandwiches in Philadelphia, September 20, 2010. REUTERS/Larry Downing

Bottom right: Obama places a doughnut order at Gingerbread House Bakery in Kokomo, Indiana, November 23, 2010. REUTERS/Jim Young

Comments

I ran a 5k Saturday. There were high school kids selling Krispy Kremes along the route!?!

NO, I did not buy any. As I turned to go back to the finish line, they gave it one more try. I yelled, “EVIL!!! Get thee behind me.” ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Now there, you better take French fries off the list.. I am warning you!

Georgia, “evil” spelled backwards is “live.” I knew a young woman some years who called herself “Evil Roma” or “Amor Live,” depending upon how she felt that day. I can see how a person who be of two minds about their name on any given day.

– Doctor Rotcod

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Liver is bad for you? Dang! There goes those plans I had for a chain of roadside deep fried liver stands.

I once ran 5k.
Then I remembered I had a car.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Georgia, I ran a 5K too! Well, almost a month ago.. lets compare stats, shall we?

Well, the Texas State Fair ended yesterday so we’ve eliminated one source of fried food from our diets here.

But it was soooooo yummy.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

I feel so hungry seeing all those fried chicken :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@Shra – I am a S L O W runner, but I did outrun all the other slow runners in my age group. And set a new personal best time of 30:51 :P My goal was to finally beat 32 minutes, so I was psyched!

of course, that means next year I gotta beat 30 minutes (gulp). Meh…I CAN DO IT!!!

:) Feeling fried??? Join the OE Blog Network :)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I’m just glad they didn’t mention chocolate

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

I’m mentally ticking off everything I ate this weekend as I look at this list. By all accounts (or per this article), I should be dead.

Good thing I went to the gym this morning. Surely, an hour of exercise negates the negative medical effects of everything I ate over the weekend, right…?
(It’s also a good thing that I put on a splash of SARCASM this morning.)

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Last picture, 2 thumbs up for the security guy looking inconspicuously to the left.

Posted by grok | Report as abusive

Spin, you’re not supposed to use SARCASM instead of a shower at the gym….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

BG…you have to tell us these things! (note to self: remove SARCASM Splash from gym bag; add towel, SARCASM shower gel and shampoo)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

We don’t take too kindly to people telling us what not to eat around here. If I want to mop up some sausage grease with a biscuit or eat the fat off of my steak…I WILL!! In Texas, we would rather die young (after a life of BBQ, fried chicken, potato salad, and giant bowls of banana pudding) than live forever eating twigs. I’m just sayin. Now could someone please call an emergency crew to extract me from my house? I have an appointment with a motorized WalMart shopping cart….

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

At Ford Field (Detroit Lions), you can buy a sandwich that consists of 2 hamburgers, 2 eggs, cheese, 10 strips of bacon, and 2 grilled cheese sandwiches (that serve as the buns).

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, JustK, you didn’t mention the always included diet Coke in your replies! Bad People! For Shame!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

I had a burger called a “Shack Attack” last night. It was a burger pattie with mushrooms, cheese, bacon, lettuce, onions, and tomato between two grilled cheese sammiches. Yes, instead of buns it was between two grilled cheese sammiches. It. Was. Delicious!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Mr. Pilot – fly down this way and check out the Vortex (one of Adam Richman’s favs. Adam wears his Vortex T-shirt on many shows). Awesome burgers, potato salad, fried zucchini…mmmmmmmmmmm. And it’s also a great place to people watch if you go the Little Five Points location.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I once thought about running 5k; but, I decided to walk so I wouldn’t drop my ice cream…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I wouldnt run, if I had an icecream either, One..
Though I did munch on some amazing Greggs’ chicken pasties after..
Pure.Bliss.

if they’d been selling ice cream along the race route, my willpower would have caved. Or maybe I’d have run the route twice, so I could get double the ice cream ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

as usual, the other news agencies get their reports in late. http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 011/10/24/8467559-7-crazy-gut-busters-fo r-national-greasy-foods-day

thanks for preparing your readers ahead of time, BG. And happy National Greasy Foods Day!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Hey, didja hear? Today is Chicken-Fried Steak Day here in Texas. Pass the cream gravy and pepper.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@Frisco, don’t forget the biscuits! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Frisco: Every day is chicken-fried steak day in TX. Just stop by your local Grandy’s, and they’ll tell you so.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive