Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

It’s a black day for candy lovers…

October 28, 2011

Okay, take that black stuff out of your mouth, put it on the floor, and back away.

That’s just me helping the government warn folks about the danger of eating too much licorice.

Noting that Halloween is only days away, the Food and Drug Administration has just warned that “If you’re 40 or older, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could land you in the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia.”

Excuse me? If you’re 40 or older and you’re still collecting candy door-to-door at Halloween, you may have problems way more serious than too much licorice.

The FDA warning further advises that “If you have been eating a lot of black licorice and have an irregular heart rhythm or muscle weakness, stop eating it immediately and contact your health care provider.

That’s their opinion. My own view is that if you’ve been eating that much black licorice, you may want to visit your dentist before anybody else gets a good look at you.

Top: A pumpkin sculpture by artist Ray Villafane is displayed during an exhibition in the Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian hotel-casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, October 26, 2011. REUTERS/Steve Marcus

Right: Licorice photo from FDA Website

Comments

I am in no danger then.. I do not like liquorice, AT ALL!

Still eating candy?
Are you forty or older?
You have a problem!

This is not a trick,
And neither a childish treat:
It’s the FDA!!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

When it comes to Halloween around here, it’s hard to tell the locorice eaters from the natives at times. Do you know why there’s no CSI North Carolina? Because there are no dental records and most of the natives have the same DNA….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Oh snap! @Moonshine, that strikes waaaaaay too close to home.

Those are some serious choppers on that pumpkin. Guess it’s not from NC either.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

The only licorice stick I partake in is the clarinet.
Daughter taking lessons now. And the dogs are getting used to those high notes or as her band teacher calls it, gnats on steroids.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

OK, Dave…Sorry. It’s just that I get tired of all these NCers making Tennessee Vol jokes all of the time, so I try to get in a little payback when I can. (Do you know why all Volunteer fans wear orange? So they can watch the game, pick up trash on the highway and go hunting – all without changing clothes…. See what I mean?)

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Wow, that’s harsh. Thank God I’m from Indiana and nobody ever makes fun of Hoosiers.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

RB, my Mom’s from Indiana and she always said that the definition of a Hoosier is “a person dribbling a basketball around the Indy 500 racetrack looking for mushrooms.” I never got the mushroom part….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

*sob* say it ain’t so! Licorice causes heart problems?
Noooooooooooooooooo.

Well, back to the deep-fried cheeseburgers I guess.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I think Nosmo just gave Frisco an idea for next year’s Texas State Fair…deep-fried licorice :P

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Cool! Nosmo and Frisco can make the stuff along with Frodo and Bilbo….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

and maybe Unca, Auntie, and the kids (Flotus & Potus) will show up!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Harrumph, I say! Unless you are volunteering us for the test tasting crew, Peaches! At least we can try to keep our Dogs and Crabs away from the deep friers, right? I just can’t face the day when George ends up on a plate, with deep fried tartar sauce as the complement! Also, no deep fried Cool Dogs!

Also, for those unitiated, here’s Georges FB addy:

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Can I trade in a few sticks of licorice for some ouzo?

One of my friends gave me some really wonderful licorice to try and then related the tale of how she ate a quantity of it and did wind up with a rapid heart beat.

All things in moderation. Most of the time…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Say what? How could the FDA say that when I thought black licorice was required by law to be the only candy available at Gram-grams house?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

In grade school, a classmate who lived down the road, Kathi, thought I liked her, so she would chew Black Jack Gum and cover some of her front teeth so that it looked like they were missing. This, she thought, would cool my passion for her, that is when we weren’t hitting each other with sticks.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Why…………………..? ? ? ? ? Am I missing some details in the story ?

Posted by Memi | Report as abusive