Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

This train is bound for glory, this train

October 31, 2011

Whoa! Did you see that, Clancy? Looked like Pope Benedict on that train that just went by!

Nah, it couldn’t have been, Lamar.That’s an express and the Pope takes the local.

Couldn’t he take the express and change to the local at 72nd Street?

Yeah, I guess that would work. Maybe he’s running late this morning, or he’s got a sales call before he hits the office.

I seen him once on the F Train. Real friendly guy.

No way! He say anything to you?

Yes, he said:

This train don’t carry no smokers, this train,
This train don’t carry no smokers, this train,
This train don’t carry no smokers, two-bit liars, small time jokers,
This train don’t carry no smokers, this train…

Hmmm. You must have been in the no-smoking car. Where did he get off?

Coney Island.

You don’t say! Ain’t that Napoleon Bonaparte’s stop, too?

Top: Pope Benedict XVI waves from his train, which is headed to Assisi, at the Vatican October 27, 2011. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano

Right: Pope waves out of the window at Spoleto train station during his journey to Assisi October 27, 2011. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano

Bottom right: Pope arrives at Assisi railway station October 27, 2011. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano

Comments

Looks like his Popeness is dressed to audition for a role in ‘The Hobbit’.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Lovely white coat. Not something I would wear though.

Good morning Italy how are you?
Don’t you know me I’m the Vatican One,
I’m the train they call The City of Assisi,
I’ll have said five hundred prayers when the day is done.

Apologies to Arlo Guthrie and Steve Goodman.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

as long as His Holiness didn’t board the OTHER express train…

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

The Pope has his own train???? Holy cabooses, Batman!

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

When did the Popemobile get so big?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Boy I bet all those folks who heard that the Cardinals would be on the train were real disappointed when the Pope stepped off.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo, hey I see where you went with that one! Well done! :)

Oh so that’s a window and those are real people Pope is waving to in the second pic? Looked like a TV screen to me. Thought he was watching a re-run of Real Worshipers of Vatican City.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive