Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Courting the goat vote…

November 2, 2011

Blog Guy, with the 2012 presidential campaign now underway, I’m surprised nobody is covering the goat angle.

Yeah, many political writers handle that group with kid gloves, but not me, not with all of the candidates actively courting the goat vote.

Are goats interested in the issues?

Are they! You go to any candidate’s events in New Hampshire these days, and you’ll find the goats bleating about something or other.

Four years ago they went for Obama, but this time around they’re listening to the Republican candidates and ruminating.

Ruminating, huh? You’re enjoying this, aren’t you? Do they tend to vote as a group?

Yeah, generally goats do fall in line like a bunch of, you know, sheep.

You think they’ll end up backing Obama again in 2012?

They probably will. Some pundits already consider it a feta compli.

Feta, huh? As in the goat cheese? I can’t take any more of this, Blog Guy. How did you get to be so well-informed on goat politics, anyway?

I have lots of goatherd friends, and they often come by my office with their goats. If I’m not busy, they can stay.

And if you are busy?

I tell ‘em to get the flock out of here.

Top: Republican presidential candidate and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman (R) talks to Bill Higgins, with his goat Izak, before a town hall meeting campaign stop in Dover, New Hampshire October 30, 2011. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Left: Izak the goat chews on a campaign sign outside a town hall meeting in Dover, New Hampshire October 30, 2011. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Bottom left: Binxx the goat wears a sign supporting U.S. Democratic Party Presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama outside the Rochester Opera House in New Hampshire, January 7, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Comments

As we have herd previously, failure to ruminate on an issue may leave you on the horns of a dilemma.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

If Trump was running for President, and was meeting Bill and Izak, the campaign sign eating scenario might have gone like this..

Trump: Aww, such a cute goat.. here gooo-aty, goo-aty, goo-aty!

Izak: mmmeeehh…

Trump: its that cute, this goat likes me! Does that mean I have your vote, Bill?

Bill: I wouldnt do that if I was you.

Izak: meeeehhhh….

Trump: Do what? Bend down on my knees to be on eye-level with your cute goaty?
Hey, he is nuzzling me.. wow.. hey, he likes my hair too.. hey,hey, heyy!!! Not the wig… i mean,the hair! Noo! Nooo! Give that back you sorry piece of meat! You better not chew on it, or I will have your horn AND your skin!! No! Come back here, you!!!

Naaaaa! We kid you not. It’s not for the cash, mere-ly for the enjoyment of blogging. Join the OE Blog!

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

What do you call a goat with a goatie?

A goat. Duh.

Thought you’d learn something, ey?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Hey Baz. Maybe you better butt out of Goat Politics.
Vote Baz/Lamar for 2012!

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

Being of the Marine and Navy types, I must say that the Chiefs in the Navy are mad because you are intruding on their ‘Goat Lockers,’ (Chiefs lounge, coffee space, mess, and sleeping area on board ships).

The USMCs Gunnies just wonder about how their Goatish Counterparts can be carrying around their coffee cups, using hoovies only.

Naarrah!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Shra: absolutely brilliant! I hope the goat doesn’t get a serious case of indigestion from the Donald’s coif

See the USA in your chevre-let
Vote Bas/Lamar 2012!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@unca – As a former proud denizen of the Goat Locker, I can say that we always wondered how our Gruntish counterparts could get seasick while at anchor… As for the coffee cups, all I can say is…Talent, Sheer Talent! (or the fact that the coffee cups in question are surgically attached upon donning khakis!)

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I absolutely love the new Georgia Lottery commercial with the fire-breathing goat. I want one.

@Jazz, so glad you seem to have recovered from that nasty disease. :)

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

AllThatJazz, having served as a Marine (counting the tour of duty as a DI for being the best part of having been one), and having switched over to Navy service, and becoming a Chieffy Wieffy, I do not become interested in the angst shown between the Marines, and their Taxi Service! Oh, and the Gunnies all have their coffee cups surgically, also. Funny, that! I learned how to tote my coffee jug with much pride! Sometimes, it even contained coffee!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

I laughed at this blog entry. I have to tell you I’m a little ashamed…

Posted by Bandage | Report as abusive

Unca and Allthatjazz,
For the record, Army Airborne/Air Assault units did not allow either goats or coffee on Hueys, Chinooks, or the C-130 Hercules.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

The cheese pun has made my day. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I love it when you say stuff like that, Crow… Thanks.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

That’s OK, Doc. The Army types do really well with holding down areas that the Marines have already taken, especially thanks to the Navy for getting them there…

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Oh, seems like Mr. BG loves the praise. Well, I loved the flockin conclusion, family-blog and all.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Goatherds unite! Baaas/Laamar 2012!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Goats in politics – one more sign of the Nanny state?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Unca, I always thought the Marines do a great job holding territory already taken by the Airborne.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Candidates like to gloat
When they gain some valuable votes
It’s sort of a hobby
To be supported by a big lobby
It’s only minor that they happen to be goats

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

No, Mr B, thank you.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

That’s why your a lawyer, Doc. You can twist any situation into AB/look, I’ve got abs type fantasies! That’s OK, I still like you!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive