Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

$2,250? You’re off your trolley!

November 7, 2011

Blog Guy, has your Thanksgiving Williams-Sonoma catalog arrived yet? I can’t wait to see what expensive specialty gadgets we need to help us prepare the most traditional meal of all.

Indeed it did arrive, but I confess I stopped at the massive holiday cocktail section and got no further.

Really? What stopped you there?

The invitation to “create a professional bar experience at home.”

They didn’t say that!

I promise you they did, on page 35.

What the hell is a professional bar experience?

I know, right? I always thought it just involved getting really s**t-faced, but apparently there’s a lot more to it.

A professional bar experience at home requires a mahogany Hotel Trolley, just $2,250.00. You really need two of those, so your hammered guests can race them.

What else do I need?

You’ll want the mango wood Mayfair Ice Bucket, which “captures the panache of vintage yachts and sleek roadsters.” It’s $99, plus $7 more if you want it monogrammed. I ordered mine with a big old “BG” on the shield.

Jeez, Blog Guy. The panache of vintage yachts and sleek roadsters in an ice bucket? What does that even mean?

I strongly suspect it means the catalog writers had themselves quite a few professional bar experiences before sitting down at the computer.

Top: Bar Manager Nicolas de Soto mixes a Calvados-based cocktail at ECC in Chinatown, London December 3, 2010. REUTERS/Toby Melville

Left: Williams-Sonoma Hotel Trolley

Right: Williams-Sonoma Mayfair Ice Bucket

Comments

The Mayfair Ice Bucket comes with pistacios? I just LOVE those nuts!
Leave it to Chuckie to add a little pistachio to the Holiday Spirit(s)!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Ok, hands up.
Who owns a William Sonoma’s ice-bucket? Or for that case, a garlic-press.

You know, I cant understand why anyone would need a garlic press?

My hand’s up! My Williams Sonoma Garlic Press and my Potato Ricer are treasured – and well-used – kitchen tools. But for fear of a major ZAPPING, I can’t tell you why.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

They should sell the Williams-Sonoma Damask Lampshade with attachable chin-strap as part of an ensemble package with the trolley and the ice bucket

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

I don’t mean to display my lack of knowledge in the alcoholic drink department, but what’s a “Calvados-based cocktail”? Blog Guy, I’m sure your readers would love to know, care to fill us in ;-)

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@jcliimacus: Maybe it comes after a Calvauno- and before a Calvatres-based cocktail?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Clang clang clang went the trolley
hic hic hic went the guests
clink clink clink went the ice cubes
I hope the server passed the bartender’s test

(With apologies to Judy Garland and Hugh Martin)

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Uno, dos, one, two, tres, quatro!
Matty told Hatty, about a drink she had,
It came on a trolley, had a WS price tag,
Wooly Bully, Wooly Bully!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

“Professional bar experience” puts me in mind of weather guys who say we’re having “rain activity” –what does that mean?

We monogrammed our ice bucket, too–we used a Magic Marker right on the styrofoam. Worked great.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

I agree, Slick,
It reminded me of the “artiste” on the radio this a.m., speaking of his art as a “memorial to the future….” Huh?

Personally, if I want a “professional bar experience,” I go out and find a bar. As far as I’m concerned, home’s not the place for “professional experiences” of any kind!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Slick is just flaunting the fact that she has an ice bucket made from genuine Styrofoam. She also lower-cased the word so that now I’ll hear from the company’s lawyers telling me Styrofoam is a protected trademark.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

An experience
Of a professional bar
For two thousand bucks

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Moonshine, I’m willing to take a zap to explain about potato ricers – people need to know.

But wasting Calvados in a cocktail? That’s just wrong.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, I think you’re safe:

Dow Chemical lawyer: Boss, I’d like to go after this Reuters blog for violating our trademark. The “S” on Styrofoam was lowercase.

Lawyer’s boss: Where did you say you saw this violation?

Dow Chemical lawyer: In a Reuters blog.

Lawyer’s boss: Which one?

Dow Chemical lawyer: The Oddly Enough blog.

Lawyer’s boss: Excuse me?

Dow Chemical lawyer: The Oddly Enough blog.

Lawyer’s boss: And a Reuters journalist or blogger made this gaffe?

Dow Chemical lawyer: Yes. Well. No. Um, it was in a comment. The blogger actually recognized that it was supposed to be uppercase.

Lawyer’s boss: Let me get this straight. You’re reading some blog on Reuters called “Oddly Enough,” and some commenter writes “styrofoam” with a lowercase “s,” and you want to press charges? And the Reuters journalist himself corrected the commenter?

Dow Chemical lawyer: Uh, yes.

Lawyer’s boss: And you were reading the blog–and the comments–on company time?

Dow Chemical lawyer: Well, yes.

Lawyer’s boss: I might have to discuss the meaning of “billable hours” with you a little better…

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@Spin: if I make it to the Calvatres, after the Calvauno and the Calvados, I’ll probably need the “professional hangover experience” from the Williams-Sonoma Brewville YouBrew Coffee Maker with built-in burr grinder for $279.95
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/elec trics/coffee-makers-teakettles/?cm_type= gnav

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: “Professional Hangover Experience” sounds like something you’d get from, say, Mel Gibson, not Williams Sonoma. Yet there it is on their site for $279.95. I wonder what other professional experiences we could get from the Williams-Sonoma site — other than a professional chef experience while being an amateur, of course.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

To continue with the earlier song…

I went to spend a jolly
hour on the trolley
and tossed my cookies instead

(Is that part of the professional bar experience?)

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Thanks @spinster! I lurve Meet me in St Louis and now I’ll have the song in my mind for the rest of the day – and give it’s morning downunder, that’ll be quite a while. Need something to get me through the day

Posted by Funkyk | Report as abusive

I think that next year the OE Bloggers should be the Special Hoiday Gift in the Williams-Sonoma catalog. For a mere $500.00 each, we could go the the home of the host/hostess who bought the trolley and ice bucket and help them create a marvelous bar experience by drinking up all their alcohol. Poetry, music, smart remarks optional, doughnuts mandatory!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Getting s**t-faced and having a trolley race is now going on my bucket list.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

69Spin, if Mel Gibson can offer you a Professional Hangover Experience, I wonder what Charlie Sheen’s offer would be called. Probably the tigerblood experience or something.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Charlie Sheen’s professional experiences can’t be repeated on a family-friendly blog such as this one, @Malt.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Amazing…

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Seems that we agree that $2,250.00 is too much for this trolley that offers a professional bar experience. Let’s say we had an auction on the Oddly Enough blog for the trolley. Where should the bidding start?

I’m tempted to start the bidding at two cookies baked by Shra or a pair of tickets to Oddly Enough: The Musical (both worth a lot more than most people realize), but I’m open to other suggestions.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Good idea, Spin. I’m willing to contribute two day passes to the GFMDS, keeping in mind the museum is only open at night.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/09/04/get-out-your-dimes-its-midnight  /

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Awww Spinny! Thank you.. and guess what, I am baking another first today. Chocolate pots! :)

OK, so we’ll start the bidding for the professionally-get-tanked-trolley at 2 day passes to the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop (open only at night), two chocolate pots by Shra, or two tickets to the unfinished Oddly Enough: The Musical.

Do I hear any higher bids? Come on, people, this is a Williams Sonoma trolley to get yourself trashed like a professional…

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive