Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

When superstars shoot on location…

November 8, 2011

I can’t believe they have the nerve to call this dump a supermarket!

But Ms. Jolie, this isn’t America. Things are different over here.

Really? Things are SO different that I can’t even buy Budweiser or Velveeta for Brad? What the hell are we supposed to live on?

Well, maybe you and Mr. Pitt could try some other kind of processed cheese product while you’re working here, Ms. Jolie….

Right, like THAT’S gonna happen! They wouldn’t even take my newspaper coupons here, either.

You cut those out of the Schenectady Gazette, Ms. Jolie. They’re not going to take them over here.

And another thing, did you see they had 400 different kinds of paprika?

Well, we ARE in Hungary, Ms. Jolie…

Four hundred kinds of paprika, but no Velveeta processed cheese product? Well, that just takes the cake! Hey, gimme some change for this gumball machine!

Top: U.S. actress Angelina Jolie (C) leaves a supermarket in downtown Budapest November 3, 2011. Jolie is in town while her partner Brad Pitt films his new zombie movie “World War Z.” REUTERS/Stringer

Comments

I think she might have had better luck with coupons from the Albany Times Union or the Berkshire Eagle.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Hey wait, I thought Zombie town was faux-Philly in Scotland? Budapest? Please make up your mind, BG.
See http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/08/26/scottish-zombies-get-silly-in-p hilly/

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Frisco, congrats on your familiarity with newspapers in that region. The coupons wouldn’t have been from The Knickerbocker News, since it’s no longer around….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

“What? No mac and cheese?”
Brad Pitt asks Anglina
“Nope. No cheese food here”

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

BG, My old stompin’ grounds. But what do I know? I still read the Dallas Times-Herald.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Really? Mine too. Did we know that before? Maybe we should take this offline to e-mail or something.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Oh, no, worlds just collided. I know the Dallas Morning News, the former Dallas Times Herald, the Albany Times Union and the Saratogian quite well from various grounds I’ve stomped through/lived in.

I won’t go into how I’ve turned into a coupon-clipper, though, or how I currently have two kinds of paprika in my pantry.

But no Velveeta or Budweiser in my house!

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@69Spinster:Ah, but do you know the New Lebanon Valley Echo?

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@Frisco: No, I don’t, but I’m guessing it is near Dartmouth.

Does it have coupons for any of 400 kinds of paprika, good at grocery stores in Budapest? If so, you might want to tell Angelina Jolie about it.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I offer a culinary haiku:

Brad likes Velveeta
Angelina? Paprika
Cheesy deviled eggs!

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Hmm, smoked spanish paprika – for when you want that smoky bacon taste without the fatty badness associated with actual bacon.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

We like the Syracuse Sub-Standard not only for its coupons, but because it features local weddings right on the front page and puts boring stuff like unemployment on page 12. We also mourned the death a few years ago of the Syracuse Journal, known far and wide as The Urinal.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

@69Spinster: Nope, different state. Not NH. Upstate NY near the Mass. border. Where BG and I apparently used to romp (but not together). But alas, I lament, I can find no current mention of it so I can only guess it has left the valley and gone to the local newspaper heaven. Put to bed permanently. It was a nice little weekly, much like the one @slick9 is alluding to.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

In the first photo, it looks like the woman next to/behind Ms. Jolie has a gun to Ms. Jolie’s back and is saying, “Do what I tell you, and no one gets hurt.”

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Regarding paprika, reminded me of this movie side:

Harry Burns: Repeat after me. Pepper.
Sally Albright: Pepper.
Harry Burns: Pepper.
Sally Albright: Pepper.
Harry Burns: Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash.
Sally Albright: Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash.
Harry Burns: But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

one of my favorite movies of all time.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I note that Ms Jolie has been at the zombie movie props collection and borrowed herself a skeleton hand…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Budweiser? Really Brad? Listen, you get a pass on a lot of things (like continuing to associate with zombie Angelina Jolie) because of Fight Club but if I ever catch you ordering a Budweiser I am taking Fight Club away from you. You are a better man than that.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ah Frisco, that is a lovely movie.. Esp when Harry says that with a slight nasal twang..
I confess, I am a Meg Ryan fan :)

Angelina has quite the profile shot in the 3rd pic.
Makes me wonder, for no apparent reason, how she might look bald.

Okay who likes Angie’s lips? And why?

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

my husband’s college GF could make a “really good Velveeta and Spam casserole” according to him. She’s now a health food junkie and has no memory of ever making such an atrocity.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Oh, so that’s his actual first name – Bradweiser.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo: Yeah, he changed it because Bradnotsomuchwiser was a mouthful.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@fwd079, do you mean current zombie Angie or Tomb Raider Angie? And also Mr. & Mrs. Smith Angie cause she was hot in that too.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Peach: do you reckon her amnesia is a byproduct of the dietary …misconduct she was partial to?

@Spin: brilliant!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

@Ifly: Tomb raider one was the coolest, after that is bit of a downhill slope in my view.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive