Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

It’s your turn to go “quack-quack,” Jim

November 10, 2011

Blog Guy, you don’t seem to be too fond of hunting. I guess that’s just because you love animals?

Look, I’d really, really like it to be just because of my feelings about animals, and my opposition to cruelty and suffering and stuff like that…

But?

But just LOOK at these people! In all honesty, even if they didn’t have any bullets, and they were there to FEED the ducks, I’d STILL make fun of them for looking like total doofuses.

Grown men sitting out there on hard rocks, wearing camouflage, making “quack-quack” noises to trick unarmed ducks into flying within range? Have they ever taken a look at themselves, because it isn’t pretty.

Don’t hold it in, Blog Guy.

I mean, look at this “sportsman” on the right. His own dog is obviously thinking, “WTF? Is there some good reason I’m not at home getting a tummy rub?”

And this guy on the left? A robotic duck decoy? I went to a Website that sells these things, and it boasted “the most effective motion decoy since the outlawing of tethered ducks and market hunting.” Good for you, boys, it sounds like you’re making fine use of technology.

Bring it on home now, Blog Guy.

I never thought I’d say this about any “sport,” but…

But?

These “hunters” look even funnier than golfers, and almost as funny as bullfighters.

Top: Hunter makes duck calls during a hunt along the Pend Oreille River near Sandpoint, Idaho on November 4, 2011.

Right: A hunter and his dog await waterfowl during a hunt along the Pend Oreille River near Sandpoint, Idaho November 4, 2011.

Left: Hunter prepares a robotic duck decoy during a hunt along the Pend Oreille River near Sandpoint, Idaho, November 5, 2011.

Bottom right: Elmer Fudd

REUTERS photos by Matt Mills McKnight

Comments

Be vewy quiet! I’m a wed-hot sportsman after wild game. Heh-heh-heh-heh.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Oh I looooooove Elmer Fudd..!!! Gosh, he and Daffy and Bugs made me laugh..
Dont you just love cartoons? I think I am quite close to one anyways.. :p

I hear the Acme corporation are offering great deals on their fine range of guns, traps, explosives and rocket packs. As endorsed by one Wile E Coyote.
Meep Meep.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I tawt I taw a puddy tat — maybe a ducky duck?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Uh, @69Spin, that would be a Daffy Duck.
Poor dog, he’s the one that has to go swimming in the cold water to get the duck. I’d much rather have a tummy rub, too. Ah well, no more fowl talk. Enough with this canard. And everyone knows you get down off an elephant. Eider better quit.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Aw c’mon BG, I just LOVE Redneck Duck Hunting! Here’s a video clip of my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_t5Z-Yjw Es

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Are they not allowed to just shoot at each other and get it over with? I mean, instead of shooting a flying, unarmed ducks, better to shoot at armed, sitting ducks, don’t you think?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I hit a seagull with a hunk of bread whilst feeding the ducks in the park. The best part was trying to catch my breath from laughing so hard. If I had actually aimed I’d have missed!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

That’s it, I’m arming the ducks

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@jc, tell you what: you are the ducks, I’ll help Ariely arm the donkeys, what do youthink?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

@justM: Dick Cheney believes in quail hunters who shoot each other. Is that close enough?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

That’s not good camo for hanging around rocks…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Crow, you’re making more than a pie a minute and you STILL find time to comment? Huzzah!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@justM: brilliant. I’m thinking of using Acme products, specifically anvils, they make such a nice noise when they make contact. Between the ducks and the donkeys we’ll get them in a crossfire

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

I am on form today. I don’t guarantee this continues to future Thursdays…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@CrowGirl, my curiosity has gotten the better of me and I must ask, what is good camo for hanging around rocks?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@ifly: Rock Cammo is THE THING to wear when you’re hunting for pet rocks and trying to sneak up on the wiley little buggers….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@Moonshine: Another idea is to adopt a pet rock rather than hunting for it. Doesn’t have to be a purebred, although if you like all igneous or the like, you might be able to adopt one of those.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

does rock camo include earplugs? Just in case I don’t like the choice of music.

ROCK ON! Join the OE Blog Network :)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Out here, when I fished a few months ago, with some people from the Manor, one of them caught a medium sized catfish. Out here, medium sized is about 20 pounds.

Mr Fish was so well hooked that we had to cut the line at the hook, to release him back. The problem was that a glove was used to try to hold Mr Fish, while we tried the extraction. The glove was caught up in the hook also.

So now we have a very well dressed Mr Catfish, glove and all, swimming about.

I think that we may have started a legend, without meaning to!

I think that we should’ve somehow used an Acme Anvil. I don’t quite know how, but I have ordered one, for in just case this ever happens again!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Unca – I figured you for a Noodler

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Ifly, rock camo is less grass patterned…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Peachs, noodling isn’t legal in this state, for now. Unless one catches a can of chicken noodle soup by hand, in the supermarket!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Moonshine, that was so funny it makes me want to go pet rock hunting just so I can wear rock camos! :D

@CrowGirl, and more moss patterned?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Scissors. paper, rock.
Rock, camo, gizzards…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Argh! Don’t mention the moss patterned camo Ifly, I still have nightmares about the “Mossy Oak” lingerie a stalky ex posted me…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@CrowGirl, did you burn the lingerie and make some nice smoked salmon at least?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive