Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Buy, buy Miss American Pie…

November 14, 2011

Blog Guy, do you have a personal guiding philosophy of life? You know, three or four words that express your world view?

It’s funny you should ask. I didn’t until today, but now I do, thanks to the cover of a catalog that came in the mail.

Wow! What did it say? What is this new moral compass that guides your spiritual essence?

“Pie…the Perfect Gift.”

That’s it? Pie…the Perfect Gift?

Yep. I was like blown away by the truth and wisdom of it. It’s so zen. Who doesn’t want the gift of pie? Be they Democrat or Republican, be it fruit or cream or custard, key lime, lemon meringue, chocolate….

Did this life-changing catalog offer any other beacons of light?

Yes. It also said, “Warm your heart with pie!”

So anybody out there who is looking to buy the Blog Guy a holiday present only needs to remember one thing. “Pie…the Perfect Gift.”

Okay, I get it. Maybe a nice strawberry rhubarb?

RHUBARB? Is that what you said? What the hell is WRONG with you? AreĀ  you sick? Crap, some people can ruin ANYTHING!

Top: President-elect Barack Obama orders a slice of cherry pie with his lunch at Manny’s Coffee Shop and Deli in Chicago, November 21, 2008. REUTERS/Frank Polich

Right: Republican presidential candidate and Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann holds up a box with an apple pie to give away to the audience at the Republicans of Black Hawk County Dinner in Waterloo, Iowa, August 14, 2011. REUTERS/Jim Young

Left: Grand Traverse Pie Company catalog

Comments

Grand Traverse Pie? Oooh, I’d go for their cherry.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Strawberry Rhubarb ok; but a good Rhubarb Custard pie is wonderful!

Say, BG, couldn’t we liven up some pumpkin or sweet potato pies with some brandy?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Very appropriate, BG. November 14th is just 8 months away from Pi Day.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

I might attempt a Key Lime Pie next week ;)
Oh, and I looooooooooooooooove apple pie:):):)

“Warm my tummy with pie!” will be more appropriate in my case.

Hmmm… pie!
I will also accept tortes, tarts and flans.
Heck, pretty much anything pastry-related and I’m there.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Nosmo, I won’t mention the other meaning of tart, but some of our more crude commenters may. Just a warning.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Good point, Frisco. That’s 3.1415926 more reasons to recommend this blog item to others…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Do you have any pie like donuts in your shop, Mr B?

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

No, Unca, there hasn’t been room. But if we can just get rid of all these goofy photographs, there will be.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

OK, OK. If they’re serving pie, I might just have a sit-down chat with a politician.

Now, if I can get pie with my doughnuts at the GFMDS, I’m that much closer to heaven. :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

Pie pie pie pie pie
Berries, custard, and others
Pie… The perfect gift

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I offered some pies to a couple of nuns, and they said, “Pie — us?!”

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Rhubarb should be with white chocolate and a faint hint of Pernod, rather than strawberry. Trust me, I’m a pie baking farm hand…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Pie! This is why your blog is the best BG! You have your reader’s interests at heart. I bet that Felix Salmon guy never thinks to give his readers baked goods!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@Spin: Did you answer, “Try some, it’s habit forming.”

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: I confess. I didn’t.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: Maybe that Felix Salmon guy offers his readers Salmon quiche? Which is hardly pie.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, I just went to the Grand Traverse Pie Company site. They have a link called “Blog” but with no links to the Oddly Enough blog. Because you include a link to their site, seems like they should return the favor. I demand that they include a link to the Oddly Enough blog on their blog — or give freshly baked pies to you and all your regular commenters.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Spin and jclimacus – Maybe they were trying to kick the habit.

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

9 out of 10 nuns prefer the OE Blog to Salmon. Kick the Salmon habit with the OE Blog Network!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

reminds me of my favorite song from Sweeny Todd:

LOVETT: Here we are, now! Hot out of the oven!
TODD: What is that?
LOVETT: It’s priest. Have a little priest.
TODD: Is it really good?
LOVETT: Sir, it’s too good, at least! Then again, they don’t commit sins of the flesh, So it’s pretty fresh.
TODD: Awful lot of fat.
LOVETT: Only where it sat.
TODD: Haven’t you got poet, or something like that?
LOVETT: No, y’see, the trouble with poet is ‘Ow do you know it’s deceased? Try the priest!
TODD: (spoken) Heavenly! Not as hearty as bishop, perhaps, but then again, not as bland as curate, either!
LOVETT: And good for business, too — always leaves you wantin’ more! Trouble is, we only get it on Sundays!
Lawyer’s rather nice.
TODD: If it’s for a price.
LOVETT: Order something else, though, to follow, Since no one should swallow it twice!
TODD: Anything that’s lean.
LOVETT: Well, then, if you’re British and loyal, You might enjoy Royal Marine! Anyway, it’s clean.
Though of course, it tastes of wherever it’s been!
TODD: Is that squire, on the fire?
LOVETT: Mercy no, sir, look closer, You’ll notice it’s grocer!
TODD: Looks thicker, More like vicar!
LOVETT: No, it has to be grocer — It’s green!

BG – I know you were expecting this from me, and I wouldn’t want to disappoint you ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive