Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

So, you guys here on that Groupon deal?

November 17, 2011

Blog Guy, wake up! Looks like you fell asleep at your computer.

Oh, yeah, thanks. I was going through the so-called “family photos” of finance ministers from the APEC Summit in Hawaii, and I keep falling asleep.

Can’t you get somebody else to do that?

Who? Who on earth is EVER going to look at these pictures, and yet they are a staple of every single summit. There are so many people, we don’t even bother to name them.

And it isn’t just finance ministers. We have world leaders at the summit, we have SPOUSES of world leaders, all so that 1,000 years from now historians can look at them and say, WTF?

One year, every single leader was naked in a group photo. Nobody noticed.

I will say this for the finance ministers. At least they were smart enough to take their photo indoors, as opposed to the world leaders, who posed beside the palm trees and ocean. Just their way of saying to taxpayers, “Hey, chumps, thanks for sending us to paradise!”

Blog Guy, what’s going on in that top photo, anyway?

Oh, that’s the only interesting tradition at these summits. The spouse of the leader in the host country has to inspect the shoes of everybody else, to make sure nobody is wearing flip-flops.

Wow! See, that’s news to me. You’re the only one who reports stuff like that!

Thanks. Um, there may be a reason for that.

Top: Tim Mathieson (L) of Australia shows U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama his cowboy boots before she hosts a luncheon with the spouses of APEC leaders at Kualoa Ranch on the east side of Oahu in Kaaawa, Hawaii November 13, 2011. REUTERS/Hugh Gentry

Right: The APEC finance ministers pose for a family photo after the first of their meetings at the APEC Summit in Honolulu, November 10, 2011. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Left: U.S. President Barack Obama poses with other APEC leaders for a family photo at the APEC Summit in Honolulu, November 13, 2011. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Comments

@Shra has a new goal: To marry the leader of the host country of the APEC summit so that she can examine everyone’s shoes.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

It would have been less expensive if they had all met at the Luau Hale in Lenox, Massachusetts.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

I should state I have no financial connection to the Luau Hale so have nothing to gain if they do choose to meet there next time (although I hear that next place will be in Siberia). (hmmm, wonder if Krasnoyarsk will be booked up.)

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@Frisco: Sounds like you’d do a better job balancing the budget than our current Congress and the rest of the US government.

When Baz/Lamar 2012 becomes the winning ticket, maybe you can be the Secretary of the Treasury or Commerce.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Photo one: Michelle refuses to join in the quaint
Australian game of ‘pull my foot’.

Photo two: The Police line-up of suspects in the hotel lobby bathroom ‘incident’ proved to be fruitless as the best description of the culprit was ‘he looked like an accountant’.

Photo three: Mr O’Bama wants to know who that creepy guy on his right is, and why he is smiling all the time.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, that headline cracks me up.

Rrrring! Rrrring!
- Hello?
- Julia? Julia Gillard? Hey, it’s Barak.
- Barak! What’s up, mate?
- Check your e-mail. Groupon has this great deal. Let’s get the other world leaders and their partners together and have our next APEC meeting using this Groupon deal. You call Mr. Noda. I’ll call Hu Jintao.
- OK, sounds good, mate.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Looks like FLOTUS is learning how to do the silly walk!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

You put your right foot in…

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

“Why, I REALLY stepped into a pile of, ummm,’male, fully equipped, ruminants discharge,’ didn’t I, Mrs Obama ?”

With fully operational eyes, I must now scrub all of my foot wear! I always thought that my sandals, shoes and boots were used as leg building weighted gear! Boy, am I blushing, or what?

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

“Who? Who on earth is EVER going to look at these pictures…”
Well..umm…we did? At least those three anyway. So what does that say about us?

Baz/Lamar 2012!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

Finance ministers
Know how to have a good time
They smile and say cheese

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Looking at the second photo, I was expecting them to break into song. Don’t think I’d like the song they’d be singing.

Baz/Lamar 2012! Doughnuts and a luau, common sense and know how!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Ah Spin! If only!

@Onedoor: Well it ain’t Ode to Joy.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

That’s it! Coconut eaters! APEC – The Association of People Eating Coconuts!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Look Michelle, I stepped in something.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive