Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Which job would you choose?

November 21, 2011

Blog Guy, I need some of your famous career advice. I have a dead-end job selling lunch meat door-to-door, and I’m looking for something different.

Hmmmm. Are you willing to relocate overseas? Do you enjoy working outdoors and getting a little exercise on the job?

You betcha! I’m not really a morning person. Evening work suits me best.

Then I may have your dream job. You should consider being one of the 44 people employed to kill rats at night in Mumbai, like these guys in the pictures.

OMG I think I’m going to barf! How do they kill them?

The caption says they use an “improvised stick,” whatever that is. Personally, if I had to show up night after night to beat rats to death, I think I’d bring a real stick, but maybe that’s just me.

You suppose I could take the job and just TELL them I killed a bunch or rats?

That’s not a good plan. Your quota is 30 rats a night. You have to bring them a bag of carcasses every morning to prove it.

Well, thanks, it’s good to know about this. I’ll weigh this rat killing job with my other option.

Which is?

Running for the Republican presidential nomination.

Okay, it’s your call, but I know which choice most people would make…

Rat killer photo slideshow

Photo blog about rat killers

Top:  Worker tries to kill a rat with an improvised stick at a garbage dump, October 18, 2011.

Left: Worker carries dead rats in a plastic sack through an alley in a slum area, on the outskirts of Mumbai October 18, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Danish Siddiqui

Comments

so the choices are be the rat or kill the rat? Besides, the ONLY choice in the next election is our BG!

Want a candidate who can make you squeal? Vote Baz/Lamar in 2012!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

…back from a trip to the hinterlands of New York City…. (New York City? Get a rope!) and have enjoyed catching up on all of the recent blogs and comments. It was a great weekend for the OE Blog – sorry to have missed it all! But the Cat Writers Conference was great…Bet you never thought Cat Writers had a conference, did you?

At any rate, I loved the “improvised stick” description. I can imaging improvising lots of things, but how the heck do you “improvise” a stick?

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Squeak softly and carry a big, improvised stick?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

If I were using an improvised stick to kill rats, it would be ‘improvised’ out of something like a big gun, or a flamethrower.
I certainly wouldn’t be using an improvised stick made from an actual stick.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

See, the Blog Guy’s job is to move forward with his *schtick.*

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

We need more people like him in Washington. ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

CAM, bet hitting those “rats” with a stick, would send the poor man to jail.
And he wouldnt get paid either!

And this is a slum area? That means people are poor and hungry? Hmmm, rat curry. Problem solved.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, pardon me for saying so, but your captions might be reversed.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

In Mother Russia, rats hit YOU with a stick!

Hunting rats with a
stick is a schtick that won’t stick.
How ’bout a boomstick?.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I found a new, Improvised Stick in the Williams-Sonoma catalog for only $300! Just in time for the holi … oops … it’s says new, IMPROVED Stick … last year’s model. :-(

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I remember, back in the day, where we always used real sticks, not improvised sticks, to kill our rats!

And we liked it just fine, by cracky!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Unca: Yeah, but you had to walk uphill (both ways) in the snow in bare feet for ten miles to find the rats.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Do these folks say, “Rats! I knew I went into the wrong career field”?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Worryingly, I’ve had worse jobs.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Worse than running for president, Crow?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Moonshine, eh the city is over-rated. I have lived on Long Island all my life and still cringe if I ever have to travel into the city for anything other than a hockey game at the Garden.

I like Nosmos idea. I would get an M-134 and just write “a stick” on the side. Sorry Turtles, Splinter is goin down!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Moon – nope, doesn’t surprise me at all. My last job was for a trade show contractor. Llama Convention? Oh yeah. Symposium for the Supercollider? Yep. You name it, there is a trade show/convention for it.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Remy? Dinner’s ready…Where are you?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Ifly – Actually, we were in White Plains – not bad for a NYC ‘burb…clean, quiet and lots of local color in the way of shops and restaurants….Time to go back on the diet, for sure.

@Georgia – The CWA Conference was really pretty cool… Did you know that we humans actually share 93 percent of our DNA with fe….Whoops, almost earned a bad ZAP there…hope I stopped in time!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@Moonshine, ok then. I am not familiar with White Plains so I will take your word for that. I will believe though that it is more pleasant than the city.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive