Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The last huzzah?

December 15, 2011

So this is the end. The last post for this blog.

It’s a good thing we’ve said our farewells, because this is also the last day for new comments.

Today, this site freezes in time. You can always revisit it for a little nostalgia, like that old amusement park in the creepy part of town, with all the chains and cobwebs.

Former presidential candidate Herman Cain was fond of telling his supporters, “Stupid people are ruining America!”

Well, maybe that’s true, Herman, but stupid people also provide cheap entertainment, which is a useful service. We should thank them for it, without using any big words.

My readers, my commenters, my friends, you are the best. You can find me on Facebook. Some of you have even found me in person, so please remember I know how to get restraining orders.

A new chapter begins today for the Oddly Enough Blog crew.

Lamar, my very popular sidekick, has been secretive about his plans, but I know he is up to something big. He’s so incredibly inept, how can he fail?

As for the old Blog Guy, I’m off to pursue my dream of running a third-rate Tiki Bar, Foot-Wash and Elephant Proctology Lab on the beach at Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, a spot my readers know well. You’ll recognize my place from the Basler BT-67 parked nose-down, out in back.

If you’re in the neighborhood, feel free to ask my advice on fashion, travel, careers, language, gadgets or whatever. As you’ve come to find out, I’m equally misinformed about everything.

Top: Dr Thomas Hildebrandt of Berlin’s Institute for Biology and Wildlife Research cleans the rectum of Jamilah, a 29-year-old female elephant, before conducting a four-dimensional ultrasound examination on her at the Night Safari in Singapore April 11, 2007. REUTERS/Tim Chong

Right: Enthusiasts gather to drink medovukha, an alcholic honey based drink similar to mead, during a meeting of the Honey Club in Russia’s Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, August 13, 2011. REUTERS/Ilya Naymushin

Right: LaMar’s Donuts, Aurora, Colorado, photo submitted by Matt Wedemeier

Bottom right: A soldier washes his feet at a military barracks in Russia’s Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, November 3, 2010. REUTERS/Ilya Naymushin

Comments

My friends, I have to say that without having a spam filter getting between George and Unca Rastus, versus the world of reality…well, just thank heavens that none of you really became shorted out in the normal thing of thinking just like UR has done.

Who am I fooling? Unca Rastus was just a made up character, and you peeps should all learn to live in my world!

Peace and Love,

George Crab

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@SageRat: Awwww, thank you.

@DoctorDoll: What happened to Doc and Mrs. Doc said I do on April 22?

@jclimacus and Doc: Head for the hills! The crazies are escaping!

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Where would we all be
without this blog we call OE?
We’d be sadder folks
with fewer jokes
and much less mirth and glee

What we all do tomorrow morn
Without Mitt and his cob of corn?
Without Lamar and friends
Is it really the end?
Yes, until the Blog Guy’s career is reborn

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Now it’s near the end of the day here, and I’m a wreck reading these comments.

Spin, your take on the song from “Chorus Line” is an absolutely perfect sayonara. And thanks for acknowledging all the commenters–great job.

Now I’m filing my complaint with Reuters. What were they thinking? Harrumph.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Back then, I couldn’t think of anything to rhyme with December 15th. (I’m now at home with a bunch of flowers waiting for Mrs. Doc to come home from work.) And now, I know never to tell Spin anything I don’t want her to remember.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

It is an honor and a privilege to have been able to comment along side all of you.

Mr. B. you are a giant amongst men.

Good night Oddly Enough blog.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I became “Dr. Doll” after a hearing officer referred to me as “doll” during a hearing and then corrected herself by saying “Dr. Doll.” My assistants back at the office kept calling me “Dr. Doll.” No matter how much I pleaded, they refused to call me (1) Dr. Wonderful, (2) Dr. Feelgood, or (3) Salsa! Then, my assistant Simone (as she likes to be called) gave me the name which has stuck around the office: “Icepick.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Spin: If non-081 needs medical attention while he’s out there on the run from reuters security, I hope he at least remembers to use proper ettiquete
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/11/22/the-kings-playin-with-his-crotc h-again/

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Until the humor blog returns, Blog Guy!

==RED

Posted by REDruin | Report as abusive

Goodbye RB – you will be missed!

Posted by Funkyk | Report as abusive

Woe is me – I’ve just searched for you on FB and can’t find you!

Posted by Funkyk | Report as abusive

One more haiku for the road…

A pause after all
the hilarity, the world
is now quieter

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Knit_Nurse says she denies everything – the penguins did it.

As for me, I’m still in shock at this blog ending. I thought I’d have years to get round to confessing to having a crush on Nosmo…

Thank you all, very much indeed. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Goodnight OEB,
Winter of our discontent.
But Spring follows frost.

so long everyone

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Farewell Blog Guy, and Goodbye to all the friends I have come to know and love through this blog. The world will be a sadder place without this source of cheer and camaraderie.

At least I will have contact (through Facebook) with George. Mayhap he will keep me posted of the adventures of my fellow commentators, and our leader – Blog Guy. You will all be missed.

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

I hope we will see another kind of Oddly Enough blog. I may not post often, but read every day. I am sad that this is going away. By the way, is there a reason, that I may have missed?

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

I only posted a few times, way back when, but I’ve always read. Wish I had become a part of the community.

Good luck, Blog Guy! Thank you for the fun!

Posted by Corbeau | Report as abusive

Hey look comments are still open!
If anyone wants to be in touch, you can FaceBook me as Nosmo King there as well.
Ta-rah then, you wonderful, goofy, sublime group – I shall miss you all.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Should probably have said, my profile is the one with the tank, if you had not already guessed

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Good bye RB. This has been truly fun reading everything here.

Very very sad day today. I don’t know what to do in spare time anymore.. :(

Also, who will give me my weekly dose of Princess!! :( :(
Please tell us there’s a new start somewhere, I don’t like endings..

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Dear Blog guy,
Thanks for sharing your great sense of humor. This has been a great and unique blog. I will miss it. So will those yuckster higher-ups at Reuters.

Posted by Stevec5801 | Report as abusive

Blog Guy,
I’m very sorry to hear about the blog closing down. It was truly an excellent part of my day. You’re hilarious, and a great guy. I will miss you here, and all the fun and very witty participants.

I wish there were a way to keep hanging out with all of you!

I hope your next endeavor will also be tons of fun!
All the Best,
Dave

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

As a last post, I will leave this OE Blog with a feeling of sadness, gratitude, and a bit of bitter sweetness. A lot of joy, a whole bunch of laughter, and a feeling of bereavement, also.

Bob, I must say that after years of struggling with the Great Spam Filter (notwithstanding),

Thank you, Mr Blog Guy, Robert, BG, Bob, Brain Without Compare, Mr Basler, Author, and last but surely not least, Friend, for letting my twisted thoughts to be aired!

As my last parting statement, I have to say, using the words of the Grateful Dead, “What a strange strange trip it’s been!”

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

It’s not pining, it’s passed on. This blog is no more. It has ceased to be. It’s expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late blog. It’s a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If they hadn’t nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies. It’s rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-blog.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive