Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The last huzzah?

December 15, 2011

So this is the end. The last post for this blog.

It’s a good thing we’ve said our farewells, because this is also the last day for new comments.

Today, this site freezes in time. You can always revisit it for a little nostalgia, like that old amusement park in the creepy part of town, with all the chains and cobwebs.

Former presidential candidate Herman Cain was fond of telling his supporters, “Stupid people are ruining America!”

Well, maybe that’s true, Herman, but stupid people also provide cheap entertainment, which is a useful service. We should thank them for it, without using any big words.

My readers, my commenters, my friends, you are the best. You can find me on Facebook. Some of you have even found me in person, so please remember I know how to get restraining orders.

A new chapter begins today for the Oddly Enough Blog crew.

Lamar, my very popular sidekick, has been secretive about his plans, but I know he is up to something big. He’s so incredibly inept, how can he fail?

As for the old Blog Guy, I’m off to pursue my dream of running a third-rate Tiki Bar, Foot-Wash and Elephant Proctology Lab on the beach at Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, a spot my readers know well. You’ll recognize my place from the Basler BT-67 parked nose-down, out in back.

If you’re in the neighborhood, feel free to ask my advice on fashion, travel, careers, language, gadgets or whatever. As you’ve come to find out, I’m equally misinformed about everything.

Top: Dr Thomas Hildebrandt of Berlin’s Institute for Biology and Wildlife Research cleans the rectum of Jamilah, a 29-year-old female elephant, before conducting a four-dimensional ultrasound examination on her at the Night Safari in Singapore April 11, 2007. REUTERS/Tim Chong

Right: Enthusiasts gather to drink medovukha, an alcholic honey based drink similar to mead, during a meeting of the Honey Club in Russia’s Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, August 13, 2011. REUTERS/Ilya Naymushin

Right: LaMar’s Donuts, Aurora, Colorado, photo submitted by Matt Wedemeier

Bottom right: A soldier washes his feet at a military barracks in Russia’s Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, November 3, 2010. REUTERS/Ilya Naymushin

Comments

After years of lurking I am posting my first comment. I will miss you Blog Guy, and all the fellow commentators. But fear not.. I shall find you, and when I do…hahahahaha (wild hysterical laugh). Uh can I have some sprinkled doughnuts too please?

Posted by Starlite | Report as abusive

Oh gosh, this is really it. I think it’s fitting to write a haiku, given that I learnt…er…oh heck, could be my last zap…given that I learnt the most about haiku and limericks from this blog.

It is a sad day
when journalism loses
it’s sense of humour.

It’s a sadder day
when the oddly blog stops dead
with no more comments!

It’s even sadder
when Reuters give short notice
to a beloved group:

My fellow buddies –
“The Oddly Community”
Who will take us now?

Wherefrom we’ll get fun?
Wherefrom the medi-donuts
and goofy faces?

We will miss this blog,
We might miss the stuff we shared
but we’ll never forget!

BG, thank you for entertaining us with your skills, and all the best for your future, wherever that takes you. A word of advice, I hope you don’t take YOUR OWN career advice too seriously, or we might end up seeing YOU featured in some Oddly Enough news! Take care!

(Malteser)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

You had to, didnt you?
You had to show me elephant poo
as I try to down my morning tea.
Dont you change, Mr.B!

I had no intention of turning that into a rhyming sorta thingy, I had rather leave that to the talented folks on this blog. You are much better than I am. You truly are.

As for you, Mr.B, I had long decided that I would NOT shed tears on the demise of the blog.
You have earned a lot of grins and smirks from the goofy, meddie-doughnut starved crowd, and helped me tase a lot of serious news seeking bu**ers who dont know where they are. Huzzah!!!

Whatever you decide to do, whether it is to laze in the sun, or freeze in Siberia, know that you are adored by wacky strangers (scary, isnt it?)
And if you should decide to write another blog, all you need to do is nudge.

As for the rest of the commentators on this blog, both old and new, you guys have made my day, time and again.
It has been an honour.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Shra.

P.S: Dont forget your shoooooooooooooooeeeeeessssss!!!!!

Closing time
Time for you to go out go out into the world.
Closing time
Turn the lights up over every boy and every girl.
Closing time
One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer.
Closing time
You don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here.

I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
Take me home

Closing time
Time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time
This room won’t be open ’til your brothers or you sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits
I hope you have found a Friend.

Closing time
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.
*********************

I guess this means I’ll be devoting more of my work hours to actual work. OH, THE HUMANITY!

I’ll miss all of you. BG, if you let us know where your new internet digs are, I’ll be there (or their…or they’re ;) )

I’m headed to DFW today for a wedding. Glad I was able to get here on the final historic day.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

So long BG, and definitely HUZZAH! See you in Whackytown.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

HUZZAH! Keep the restraining order handy. They let me loose in public without a chaperone.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Don’t it always seem to go
That you don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone.
They’ve paved the OE Blog
and put the bloggers on ladylalas lawn.

Stiletto Brigade will try to arrive in spring. That way your lawn will be aerated when our heels sink in…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Second photo: Macy’s Santas relax in their breakroom.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Oh yeah, that reminds me Georgia, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. And happy holidays if you don’t celebrate Christmas,…and if you don’t celebrate any holiday, oh well, better luck next time.

“Be happy, don’t worry…oouuuhh hu hu hu hu *whistle…*

(Now you’ll have that tune stuck in your head my fellow commentators).

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Baz,

Thank you. Don’t be a stranger.

Love,

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Sniff…sniff…. Boo – and Hoo, too.

As they say (whoever “they” are), it’s been real…. Actually it’s been unreal, which has been even better.

And, like Malteser, I’ve learnt as well (cringe for the ZAP) that you can make good and lasting connections with so many people you have never met and never would have met if BG hadn’t brought us all together. So thanks for that along with all the rest.

Damn, I don’t want to quit typing….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

My favorite poetic sequence is “Four Quartets,” by T.S. Eliot. A quotation from one of the Quartets, “East Coker,” seems appropriate: “In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.” We are only allotted so much laughter in this world, and this Blog and its Commenters have given me more than my share.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

In the meantime, may I take the opportunity to post what is probably the blog I enjoyed the most, comments and all. If this ain’t my favourite blog as such, it would probably be among the top 3 for sure.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/07/12/reading-in-bed-just-got-a-lot-b etter/

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Part of what I will miss is the fact that I have a routine that starts every day with a laugh. Going forward, I’ll start every day going through my work e-mail. I can assure you that there are many fewer laughs related to my work e-mail. And goodness knows I cannot reply to colleagues in haiku. My world will be much more staightlaced and much less straightjacket-laced.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

Haberdashery
Hulga, Huzzah, and Lamar
Goofy face, doughnuts

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

To my fellow commenters, you guys are the best! All the laughs we have shared, all the non-learning good times – thanks so much for that, it has made some tough times just a little easier.
To the grand poo-bah of this little corner of sanity, Mr Basler, you sir deserve a beverage of your choice, a box of doughnuts, and a good long rest, before you move on to, and inevitably conquer, whatever is next up for you. You are a gentleman, a scholar and I would like to buyt you that beverage, should such a time be possible.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight.
Nosmo.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Thanks a whole lot for all the fun!

Posted by emu | Report as abusive

I’ve been following this blog for years, and I will miss it. I’ll also miss all the commenters whose comments so often made the blog even better. Thanks to BG and you all, I wish I had commented more myself.

Posted by Annatar | Report as abusive

Dear Mr. Basler:

This is to advise you that one of our patients, “Dr. Doll,” has once again managed to escape. This time, he left with 100,000s of dollars of play money and the “parachute” (actually a laundry bag full of dirty clothes) belonging to another patient, whose delusions include a belief that he is D.B. Cooper. “Dr. Doll” left a note saying he was going to “Wackytown” to be with you. Obviously, “Wackytown” refers to Washington D.C.

Mr. Basler, you know what he is capable of. As you know, last time he climbed our high walls, he successfully managed to pass himself off as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve and was responsible for the first round of Quantitative Easing. So, you see just how dangerous he can be. His disguises can be very clever. Last time, his disguise included a puppet of the President of the United States!

This time, “Dr. Doll” left behind his usual attire, an English Barrister’s outfit and wig,” and absconded with an academic cap, gown, and hood. I believe another of your commenters, Spinster, is aware of his reasons for this change.

If you see “Dr. Doll,” please call me immediately. It may take some time for staff to track me down. “Mr. Cooper” is obviously upset, and another patient, who believes himself to be Moses, is equally disturbed and has been issuing Commandments all morning.

You have my number. Thank you so much.

Doctor Rotcod

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Because of this blog I’ve become a more witty, slimmer (?), worldly, wordy (!) person. Just ask my sister.

The OE blog, unleashed from Bob’s creative mind and under his careful watch (Hi, Mr. Spam Filter!), has been a fun playground for us all. I hope that, like the mythical Phoenix, this blog will rise again from the ashes to help the world laugh again.

Give us our last doughnut (heavy on the Xanax sprinkles), ZAP us all Shra, and then turn out the lights.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Thank you BG for your entertaining and ingenious spin on the world of the wacky. Who knew that one could learn so much about Wackytown, famous goofy faces, royalty, and aeronautics while under the influence of deep-fried pharmaceutical pastries? It’s been a blast!

Now can someone please let me off this ride?

Posted by illusion2269 | Report as abusive

Godspeed Blog Guy!!

Posted by mithunk | Report as abusive

As we say our good-byes, may I offer a few words?

Jibberish, Bandage, Hoopsnake, NW Hiker, Wheelz, HaroldW, ARGTurgot2, Ming45, LMR/Little Miss Random, REDruin, Lemonttaylor, justM, inebgreen, MamaC, beachbum, hmcfabulous, and a host of others: You haven’t commented a lot lately, but you always had something good to say. Thanks for keeping me glued to your comments.

zeitgeist: Every time I think of “I’m so adjective, I verb nouns,” I laugh. That was a brilliant comment.

Billl: Your screen name always made me think of the Tom Leherer joke, which is better spoken, but here goes: I knew a man H-E-N-THREE-R-Y. The “three” was silent, you see.” Thanks for sprinkling in your entertaining comments.

FunkyK: Ah, but your comments were just beginning! May you, your husband-to-be, and Siri have many communicative, loving, and entertaining days ahead.

vwgal: Do you sing “Rocket Man” when you drive your Volkswagen? (That’s a current commercial on TV.)

sarabelle: It was always great when you commented. The other commenters seemed to light up with bright e-smiles when you’d join in the commenting fun.

Ladylala: May you, Lamar, and Lamar’s ma have days full of love ahead. And don’t shake your fist at iflydaplanes too much when he comes to hang out on your lawn. He really does mean well. Someone just gave him a bad tip that Miranda Kerr’s second home was at your address.

Malteser: Best of luck to you in your marriage. I’ve loved all your haiku and clever comments. As provincial as I try no to be, I find it delightfully exotic that you’re in Malta.

fwd079: May you fulfill your lifelong dream of meeting the Duchess someday. And best of luck to you in your relatively new marriage.

Moonshine: Wishing health and safety to you, Mr. Moonshine, and Wesley. Wesley is doing something I could never imagine but appreciate more than I can say. I can’t wait for your next BBQ event.

slick9: Every so often, I think of this exchange, and I laugh:
slick9: Please, anyone who plans to stay with us, just bring chocolates–but don’t plan to have any of them. And don’t touch our TV setup or use my hairbrush.
Blog Guy: Well la de da, slick. Like you really own a hairbrush.
slick9: Okay, so it’s not a hairbrush, just a comb, but only a few teeth are missing. From the look of your photo, maybe you’d like to borrow it.

Thanks, slick9, for joining in the daily humor party. The fact that Oddly Enough has been your home page is great.

justK: You are one funny woman. You always threw in some zinger, cracking me up to no end. Have fun with your energetic kids.

KWest: Imma let you finish, but your comments were as funny as Beyonce’s. Whatever that means. Seriously, your commentary was always pithy and clever.

Bart King: You had me at “denim primate shorts.” Thanks for the laughs. Congratulations on the publishing of your book on cuteness. May you and your wife have many years of laughter and cuteness ahead.

knit_nurse: I’m sorry you haven’t commented much lately. You always had such great comments. Remember, knitting your brow: not good. Knitting tea cozies: scary. Knitting clothing and random figurines: priceless.

Unca Rastus: Thanks for the many clever comments. You are a humanitarian and a thoughtful man. I’m sorry that George didn’t get to see a blue crab photo in here. Maybe there aren’t any blue crabs in Krasnoyarsk.

CrowGirl: I envy your daredevilish spirit. I wish I could write only a few words and have them come out as clever as your comments. But it’s not about envy. It’s about appreciating your hilarious comments and your uberWelshness. Thank you for your intelligent and clever commentary.

Egeria: I’m not sure how many other Canadians are in Ireland, but perhaps you had better introduce those Irish to Bumbleberry pie or other Canadian things so as to make yourself less homesick.

GeorgiaPeach: Ever since your Double Double Toil and Trouble comment in http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/02/16/bubble-bubble-im-in-trouble/, I have loved your commentary. You originated the whole idea of taking a famous piece of poetry/prose/music and adding Oddly Enough riffs to it. Well done, GeorgiaPeach. Thanks for all your warm commentary about dogs, too.

AllThatJazz: When you picked up the haiku stick, I was a happy woman. Thanks for the haiku and hilarity.

Dave: Sir, you are a master when it comes to explosives, Kandahar, goats, and humor. Thank you.

Nosmo: A number of your comments had me snarfing up my Fiji water. Thank you for not only your funny comments but your commentary on work, your ex-wife, and the stories of going to help your family in the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake. Peace and humor be with you.

skeres: With all those photos of Kate in the blog, I kept expecting you to reappear. I’m sorry you’ve been an incactive commenter lately. I’ve missed you.

Onedoor: I love your clever commentary. And you were always one to pass the medi-doughnt plate around, which we all appreciated. Watch out for lighning zaps. Please tell the same to Sister Merry Bambi.

DoctorDoll: Thank you for starting the Oddly Enough Blog Noir genre. Additionally, I hope you are aware of how intelligent your dogs are. Perhaps you didn’t realize that they commented on the blog for a short while. You are a man with a heart, an education/brain, and courage. Your Dorothy (Mrs. Doc) is lucky to have you at her side.

Shra: Baking, shoes, Mr. Fab Abs, dogs, laughter, exclamation points, participation, travel, and What-in-the-world questions…. These are the things that come to mind when I think of your many wonderful comments. Thank you for being a warm and caring soul who enjoys giving and receiving a good laugh.

Iflydaplanes: Thank you for your brilliant negotiations with Mr. Spam Filter, your willingness to fly the BT-anynumber, and your copious raucous and funny comments. Best of all, you’re practically my neighbor. If any other Oddly Enough commenters are ever in New York, let ifly or me know. We can all meet up. If the world explodes, I won’t tell anyone that our meeting caused it.

FriscoJohn: May your corny dogs be deep-fried, your Monty Python record unscratched, and your love of music, literature, and words an eternal one.

jclimacus: Haiku! Cole Porter! Shakespeare! Thank you for all of it. I would read and re-read many of your comments because they were so wonderful and clever. May your non-081 counterpart enjoy peeling potatoes for many healthy years to come.

justCAM: As soon as the Blog Guy said that your “That’s my sister!” comment never got old, it became one of the silliest and most enjoyable refrains of the blog. You made us laugh with much more than that, of course. I love that you’ve been to Basler Air in Oshkosh. Thanks for adding to the merriment.

Blog Guy: Oh, Blog Guy, I going to miss you most of all. You’ve been the constant in a very changing world, a source of humor, compassion, goofiness, and pleasant surprises. Thank you, Lamar, Wall Guy, Johnson the photographer, Eugene “Toilethead” Johnson, italics guy, fantasy photo guy, your four pets, and the rest of your cast and crew for making life so much richer. Peace be with you.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, you’re not fooling me. That is so not a Crab in the top photo!

George

Every morning, I have come down to my computer and clicked up this blog, so that I could always start my day with a laugh. Now? Without medidonuts and huzzahs and Shoooooes being posted anew each day…I feel bereft!

I have spent the last few years going through a couple of cancer scares, a couple of cataract surgeries, as well as the indecencies that Drs take with us people that 50 or older, each and every time, Mr Basler and My Crowd of Friends have always made me laugh through all of that!

I have learned to accept the fact that growing my hair as long as it could get in 4 years just doesn’t conceal the fact that my invisible hair doesn’t really exist, and now I am getting the rest of it sheared off from the last time of trying to look like I did during high school. Looking and laughing at this blog has given me the courage (some how) to embrace the old Marine style of high and tight, because if we can laugh at everything that you, Blog Guy has put in here has taught me that just maybe, there are things funnier than believing that anyone really cares about how I look…including my own view of myself. Strangely, this OE Blog has given me both laughs and let me finally accept the fact that my hair looks pretty stupid when combed forward to hide the bags under my eyes!

I have lived through the pain of ‘The Recession,’ by growing to think, ‘What do i need with a nice Rolls Royce,’ by knowing , who cares what I ride around in? I mean, look at what Hugo and Qaddafi were cruising about in, while I viewed this OE Blog!

My dementia about having this adopted rubber Crab son has not abated, but with Mr Blog Guy thinking that he was a plank owner with the Basler Aereoplane Corporation is no less of an idea that was accepted in our minds!

Lamar, Lonnie, et al? Alas, I knew them well! George says, “See y’all around, mi amigos!”

To all of my buds out there, what can I say that hasn’t already been said about the departure of this OE Blog from our every day new adventuring?

I guess that all we can say is, “The OE Blog is dead (but still will live on through the magic of the internet)! Long live Robert Basler! HUZZAH!!!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Dear Ms. Spinster,

I believe you are aware of Dr. Doll’s recent escape. I believe he may have altered his plans and may be moving in the direction of Brooklyn. He was seen this morning boarding a train for NYC and saying “The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh, joy! Oh, rapture! I’ve got a brain!”

Unfortunately, we missed an early chance to apprehend him. Apparently, he had dressed himself up like Santa Claus and two German Shepherds as reindeer and was standing outside our front gate laughing “HO! HO! HO!”

I would caution everyone. Dr. Doll may well Cringle himself and lurk anywhere. He’s done it before, being jolly, saying “MERRY CHRISTMAS, YA’LL,” and on December 21st “HAPPY HANUKHAH!”

And by the way, if you think Dr. Doll is acutally writing these entries. You’re wrong. It’s my . . . er. . . his, I meant “his” doctor.

Bless you all, my friends. BG can direct you to me on FB, if you so desire.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Congratulations,
From Miss 69Spinster:
I’m thankful for it!

What a nice post that was! :)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I can’t believe this is the end. You will be missed beyond words, BG. Your musings and “reporting”, along with the legion of loyal commenters, have been the highlight of my days (daze?). How will we go on

It’s Not Easy Being Green, and now it will be even harder. Godspeed Blog Guy!

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

How funny that I’ve never met any of the blog’s other avid fans, but I felt like we were having a party everyday with BG and Lamar. The comments have been so wonderful. And what is there left to say about Basler’s clever, funny, irreverent postings, each based on the premise that pointing out all the stupid things in life is a very, very good thing.

BG, we’ll see you in Siberia.

—30—

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Say it ain’t so, Blog Guy. Say it ain’t so.

Posted by BartKing | Report as abusive

So Long! Thank for all the edutainment. See you on the facebooks

Posted by MattWeed | Report as abusive

@inebgreen: Until now, I never knew you were a frog puppet. You had me fooled! I’ll miss you. Best of luck to you.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@Georgia–What DFW gate do you arrive at? I’ll be the one with the corndog.

So many literary motifs to go out on. Shra beat me to the dolphin quote so I’ll do an abbreviated riff from “The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” BG, thanks for all the inspiration and the chance to co-mingle with a great bunch of posters.

“A big hand please, ladies and gentlemen,” he hollered, “for the Great Prophet Zarquon! He has come! Zarquon has come again!”

Thunderous applause broke out as Max strode across the stage and handed his microphone to the Prophet.
Zarquon coughed. He peered round at the assembled gathering. The stars in his eyes blinked uneasily. He handled the microphone with confusion.

“Er …” he said, “hello. Er, look, I’m sorry I’m a bit late. I’ve had the most ghastly time, all sorts of things cropping up at the last moment.”

He seemed nervous of the expectant awed hush. He cleared his throat.
“Er, how are we for time?” he said, “Have I just got a min-”

And so the Universe ended.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Wow, Spin…That capped it! You left nothing out – Excellent Remembrances of Bloggers Past.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

So, Blog Guy, does this mean you now will have to find a real job? Seriously, it’s been a giggle. Best of luck. I’ll miss you. Bye.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

reading this has me pining for the fjords.

I have to say: Reuters, this is the Worst. Christmas. Gift. Ever.

virtual hugs to all

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Well MS Shra, thanks for the Douglas Adams reference. It might be thought of as informative, so feel free to tase yourself. We may meet at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Remember Reuters complaint department is run by Helen Waite. If we offer up enough complaints they may bring back the OE Blog. Let’s all go to Helen Waite.

69 Spinster, thanks for the kind words.

With all due respect I will follow your lead with a haiku to thank Mr. Basler for the years of fun:

And so it must end.
Goodnight Mrs. Calabash
Wherever you are.

KWest (aka Billl)

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

Tomorrow, I look forward to seeing Crabs right here in the OE Blog!
George

There is no tomorrow for new blogs in the OE Blog Universe, George!
Unca Rastus

George

Let’s not speak of my mental status, George!
Unca Rastus

So, I Will be seeing Crabs tomorrow, on the OE Blog!
George

Yes George. Your Crabs will be here, for you to ogle.
Unca Rastus

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

And just like that, this very large and very wacky family was dissolved!

Posted by nhdave | Report as abusive

Every time I see that elephant pic, I think ‘That little girl in the background sure picked the wrong day to go to work with daddy!”

Are your kids gonna tend the tiki bar, footwash and doughnut shoppe for you on bring your kids to work day, Baz? It’ll give you more time for your pets…

Thanks for the laughs, Baz. It wouldn’t have been the same without you! (OK, it probably wouldn’t have been at all without you)

And just in case there aren’t any more comments,

HUZZAH!!!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

“You do look, my son, in a moved sort,
As if you were dismay’d: be cheerful sir,
Our revels now are ended…”

Blog Guy, when I first stumbled across your online fun house over a year ago, I was amused by the humor, (God yes!), but moreover amazed by the intelligence and thoughtfulness of yourself and your loyal commentors. Your blog shines, sir, and that’s what I’ll miss most about it. A million thanks to you sir, and when I (struggling)… get… this… damn… straightjacket… off…

To my fellow commentors: My we are an unusual crowd aren’t we :P Since Spin has summed it up so well, I’ll keep this brief: You’ve all amazed me, delighted me, consistently, over the last year. It’s an honor to account you as friends. See you on facebook!

And lastly to you, anonymous reader:
Laugh while you can
Love to your fullest
Live out of your principles
and Learn your lessons, ’cause you might have to repeat them!

Are there any donuts left?

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

The day just won’t be the same without perusing the OE blog. Thank you, and farewell to all. Although, I have to wonder about the question mark in the headline. Are you leaving a door ajar???

Posted by NWHiker | Report as abusive

В следующем году в Красноярске! Чтобы жизнь!

Couldn’t resist.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Thank you!

Posted by Brillotoo | Report as abusive

“You really believe that a rubber Crab can really be your adopted son, and that this adopted rubber Crab son also types and talks?
George

Let’s not speak of my mental status, George!
Unca Rastus”

@Unca & George: you obviously came to the right place. After all, I think a part of myself–non 081–lives in Mr. Spam Filter’s dungeon/cafeteria. How nutty is that!

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

As a fan and closet reader of the OE Blog, the thought of its demise hit me like a Leonard Cohen song. I truly will miss the daily “news”. Perhaps, if only I and all the other non-posting readers had chimed in Reuters would not have taken away the only blog worth reading. Time after time, this elite hangout is where I have gone to regain my insanity.

As for RB (the Rain Man of puns), Dave (formerly in a cave. thanks for serving), Spinny (amazing haiku!), CrowGirl (the funniest farm girl ever), Shra (honest, I didn’t learn a thing!), GeorgiaPeach (truly a peach), iflydaplanes (aka: captain of the BT-69), OneDoor, DoctorDoll (a national treasure), Unca (most likely to encounter Mr. Spamfilter), Jazz, Nosmo (Knows Mo’ than me), ladylala (wickedly smart), Moonshine, egeria, fwd, Frisco, Knitnurse (where have you been?), K, Jibberish, jclimacus, justCAM, justM, Billl, lemontaylor, Malteser, and all the others, I loved reading your puns, wit, warmth, “cultural”, fashion and world insights. It has been the most amusing waste of time ever. Love you all.

Thanks so much. I will miss you all. I learned nothing… huzzah!

Posted by SageRat | Report as abusive

@nhdave: This is your first post in a year or two. Where have you been? Good to see your name here again. I’m sorry you didn’t comment more.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Kiss today good-bye
The sweetness and the sorrow
We did what we had to do
Won’t forget, can’t regret, what we did for laughs

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Dateline: Reuters
In a strange incident, an assault took place this morning in the cafeteria of Reuters.com. A disgruntled cafeteria worker known only as “non-081″ is rumored to have attacked a Reuters employee, one Mr. Spam Filter, with a rubber chicken and a copy of the Yale Complete Works of Wm. Shakespeare. With a cry of “sic semper tyrannis!” the aforementioned non-081 beat Mr. Spam Filter silly and then escaped into the heart of Washington D.C. screaming, “Long Live the OEB!” Reuters officials were unavailable for comment, but it is believed that Mr. Spam Filter was unharmed and is back at his post.

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

I am coming out of long-time lurking to thank you for all of the entertainment and to wish you well with your next conquest!

Posted by TNRFguy | Report as abusive

Since we’re getting all cow-eyed and quotational:

“No deed is a bad deed as long as it’s done by a nice person like me.”

– Anonymous Pr1ck

And now, I’m off to celebrate my 27th wedding anniversary!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive