Lashkar-e-Taiba founder says sees room for Pakistan-India talks

February 18, 2010

singhgilaniThe idea of holding talks to resolve the many competing interests across Afghanistan, Pakistan and India – which has most recently focused on whether the Afghan Taliban can be brought to the negotiating table – appears to be catching on.

Now Hafiz Saeed, the founder of the banned Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group blamed for the Nov. 2008 attacks on Mumbai, says in an interview with Al Jazeera that he sees room for Pakistan to hold talks with India over disputed Kashmir.

“”We’ve never said ‘no’ to a dialogue. To say that we don’t believe in dialogue is propaganda,” he said in a rare interview. “We’ve always talked about a dialogue but the problem is it should be productive and obtain results. India has never been sincere in talks and only holds talks when it is in her interests.  If she wants to restore confidence in the talks, she must accept Kashmir as a core dispute.”

Saeed, who runs the Jamaat-ud-Dawa humanitarian wing of the Laskhar-e-Taiba, has been accused by India of masterminding the attacks on Mumbai — an accusation he denies. He is also seen as close to the Pakistan Army, so for him to come out now and talk about talks carries some resonance.

The foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan are due to hold talks on Feb. 25 to try to end the diplomatic freeze which followed the Mumbai attacks. Although no quick progress is expected, especially after last weekend’s bombing in the Indian city of Pune, it’s hard to escape the impression that the long stalemate  over Afghanistan, Pakistan and India is lifting.

In any case, it’s very unusual to see a top Afghan Taliban commander arrested in Pakistan in the same week that one of the leaders of the Pakistan-based fight against Indian rule in Kashmir gives an interview about talks.   Coincidence or otherwise, there seems to be an acceleration in regional diplomacy.

(File photo of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani)

Comments

Babag:

@Somewhat related article if you like to read”

—It is hard not to breath for full 10minutes–such is the stinking articles from Moin Ansari with his paisa value ideology.

It is not easy to build credibility and this man has zero.
Do you have a credible source.

Please do point out when Indians or I post some propaganda articles. Hardly helps anyone. If I were you I will not post such articles. This guy is not only propaganda specialist but cheap too if you notice his articles.

It is your call.

Posted by RajeevK | Report as abusive

Babag:

Moin Ansari’s hypothesis:

“To every action there is bound to be a reaction and the nearly 15 percent segment of Indian population i.e. Muslims, humiliated and left at the bottom of social heap, has responded in kind to seek retribution. Despite widely held perception of the secular ethos of the Indian democracy, Muslims are mired in mass poverty, lack of education and is mostly excluded from the pale of a Shining India; becoming victim of a rising wave of Hindutva driven extremism.”

–So he justifies the violence. Great job!!!

Anyways I thought you might be interested in a more credible source, if you do not know already, Pervez Hoodbhoy.

This is what PH says on Moin Ansari’s crap:

“But, although Muslims form 12% of India’s population, I met only a few Muslim scientists in leading Indian research institutes and universities. Discrimination
against Muslims does not appear to be the dominant cause. A professor at Jamia told me that an overwhelming number of Muslim students were inclined towards seeking easier (and more lucrative) professions in spite of special incentives offered to them at his university. In general, Muslims in India appear more modern and secular than in Pakistan.”

Click for more:
http://www.countercurrents.org/ipk-hoodh oy190205.htm

Posted by RajeevK | Report as abusive

Magic786,

Quit speaking for Indian Kashmiris because you don’t represent them. At the end of the day, you’re just a Pakistani living in Pakistan occupied Kashmir, so stop talking as if you have a moral right to speak for all Kashmiris because you don’t. Also, cut the facade of acting as a neutral kashmiri who’s neither for India & nor for Pakistan because you’re anything but neutral. Just like other Pakistanis, you have been injected with a steady dose of anti-India virus since birth & you gladly swallow the fallacious propaganda which is constantly spoon-fed by your military establishment. Nobody is denying that there might have been some unwarranted isolated acts committed by some Indian soldiers in Kashmir but the numbers are nowhere near the grossly exaggerated nonsensical claims made by your military establishment, which so-called Kashmiris like you happily buy without any substantiation, whatsoever.

Posted by Mortal1 | Report as abusive

“Quit speaking for Indian Kashmiris because you don’t represent them”

Indian kashmiris?! Never heard that its either indian, pakistani or kashmiri no such thing as indian kashmiri or pakistani kashmiri… just an idiots wishfull thinking which you are entitled to by all means after all dreaming is not a sin is it?

“you have been injected with a steady dose of anti-India virus since birth & you gladly swallow the fallacious propaganda which is constantly spoon-fed by your military establishment”

Totally wrong agian! If I was born in Azad Kashmir and educated in London where did the PA get a chance to inject me with this anti india dose must a mosaad like operation for the ISI to do that without even me knowing.

You want to know whi is more anti india or anti pakistan simply switch the star plus and watch them or your general media and the hatered they spread via the news or via the movies and so on. Also watch the Pak media news and one min be neutral and tell me with hand on your heart who is more infected? You will know for yourself and I have been back to my homeland and dont see anything on walla or on general that portrays india as such a monstor which you lot think we make out.

I dont hate hindus or anyother religion up to you believe what you want end of the day you are going in your grave and I am in mine.

I couldnt stop laughing when rajeeve informed me that Benazer grand daughter was a hindu? lol even though her mother was iranian or persian? even though I believe the blood line for this part is similar.

The sooner you understand that Kashmri is for kashmiris the better and hope it doesnt fall on deaf ears for sake of India.

Posted by Magic786 | Report as abusive

@Magic786,

What is really funny about some Pakistani’s is that they are willfully so blind to assert that they are Arabic in their roots than Hindu. I think it is more likely that Pakistani’s are descended from space aliens than having most of their genetic makeup from Arabs or other Muslim invaders of the subcontinent.

So…my friend Magic, you are hindu, biologically speaking, live with it.

Posted by G-W | Report as abusive

“Please do point out when Indians or I post some propaganda articles.”

Moin Ansari or Pervez Hoodbhoy, they both have different views and both have plenty of following. As far as Magic is concerned, he certainly has his views and every right to express them like you have.

Posted by babag | Report as abusive

“So…my friend Magic, you are hindu, biologically speaking, live with it.”

Firstly I am NOT your friend or anyones who condones the killing of innocent Kashmiris especially by your brave army who kills armless young men in the valley, rape women who only crime is they ventured out to get some water or to their schools.

“If you need a family tree, just look outside your street, the peoples faces and look at many Indians, we don’t look that different.”

Posted by Magic786 | Report as abusive

Magic786: “I am proud to be a KASHMIRI MUSLIM! Just as much you i hope so proud to be hindu idiot!”

Kashmiri Muslim vs Hindu Idiot.

Please clarify which part of you is the idiot equivalent of your Hindu counterpart – the Kashmiri or the Muslim.

Posted by KPSingh01 | Report as abusive

Magic786,

@ “Indian kashmiris?! Never heard that its either indian, pakistani or kashmiri no such thing as indian kashmiri or pakistani kashmiri… just an idiots wishfull thinking”

Although, you don’t seem to have the intellectual aptitude to unbderstand this, lemme make an attempt anyways. There certainly are Indian Kashmiris & Pakistani Kashmiris just as there are Indian Punjabis & Pakistani Punjabis and Indian Sindhis & Pakistani Sindhis. Kashmir is not an independent nation & so, people living in J & K are Indian Kashmiris & the ones living in PoK are Pakistani. The passport of an Indian Kashmiri says ‘Republic of India’ & not ‘Kashmir’.

@ “Totally wrong agian! If I was born in Azad Kashmir and educated in London where did the PA get a chance to inject me with this anti india dose”

Your comments & the language used therein, clearly underlines the kind of ‘education’ you’ve received (or lack, thereof). Anyways, I’ve been going to the UK long enough to come across Mirpurias like you, living in the ghettos of Bradford & Birmingham and living off Government benefits, while despising the very country they live in. Several British studies have concluded that 2nd & 3rd generation Pakistanis living there are more radicalized & out of touch with reality than the new arrivals. You may have lived in the UK but you are no better than your madrasah bred brother living a Pakistani village. In fact, in many ways you are worse because unlike him, you had a chance to better yourself but flushed it down the drain.

@ “I couldnt stop laughing when rajeeve informed me that Benazer grand daughter was a hindu? lol even though her mother was iranian or persian?”

Forget Benezir, the father of Pakistan & the man you call Qaid-e-Azam, Jinnah had Hindu blood in his veins. His grandfather was Poonja Gokuldas Meghji,a Hindu Bhatia Rajput from Paneli village in Gondal state in Kathiawar. Jinnah’s ancestors were Hindu Rajput who converted to Islam, sometime in the mid 1800s.

@ “Kashmiris are more fair beside their religion unlike your madras idiots blacked out like tinted Hummer lol”

The software of the computer, you’re currently using, was most likely written by a blacked out Indian Madrasi. Your comment indicates your shallow bigoted thinking & your infantile IQ. These dark Madras idiots that you talk about constitute a major part of the workforce of the silicon valley & throughout the western world they are highly respected doctors, engineers & scientists. What is the contribution of Pakistanis like you? Driving cabs & selling sheesh kabab on the streets?
Anyone with a little bit of brains would rather be a dark Madrasi than a fair Pakistani. Go ask you brothers who pose as Indians in order to gain some respect & to get away from the shame of being called a Pakistani.

PS: I can’t waste anymore time on a deranged juvenile delinquent like yourself, so don’t bother responding. Adios!

Posted by Mortal1 | Report as abusive

@Magic786

—–”I have never said I am an Arab yes I look like a south asian. I can say indians look like us or vise versa beside the point. But my ancesstors could have been bhudists or even athiests and so on.

But the fact is NEVER did hindu bloods flowed in my vains neither will it ever! Be assurred and I am proud to be a KASHMIRI MUSLIM! Just as much you i hope so proud to be hindu idiot!”

If you are born in South Asia and look like south Asian you have Hindu blood in you. Hindus are living in this part of the world centuries before Muhammad was even born. Hindu philosphy date back to 1500 BC. And Buddism was started by Sidharth Gautam buddh, also a Hindu. There were no athiests, before this science age everybody had a god, no matter what you call him/her/it.

“They look white or europeans actually… Kashmiris are more fair beside their religion unlike your madras idiots blacked out like tinted Hummer lol.”

Kashmiri pandits are fair and they look like “Europeans” but they are Hindus. Punjabis have fair complexion as well. What do you say about Bangladeshis ? they are not fair so they don;t belong to Islam ? wait a minute they wanted and get a separate nation so they dont make good muslims ;-) while you failed :-(

Point is, religion is above color of your skin, and categorizing all Hindus as Madrasi is plain stupidity. Madras has a lot of Muslim population and they look like Madrasi hindus.

——-”Have you heard the saying “treasures get burried and rubbish gets burned”. Indications why Christian / Jews and Muslims or the people of book get buried and the worshippers of stone, monkeys, cows, snakes and so on will burn whenthey die and fater. I arrest my case!!!”

Human dead body is always rubbish no matter what religion it belong to, so it has to burn. If you don’t agree give me a single good reason to keep this “Treasure” and if like some other pakistanis here, you have animosity towards logic, next time keep your dead grand parents in your closet with pack of Moth balls.

Considering that earth has limited land, you will soon seen Muslims getting buried in “Standing” Position, and it will look like they are lining up for their turn to be called in heaven or hell, depending upon who supported Idiots of India or Ghazis of Pakistan over Kashmir. And I am sure according to you 170 Million Muslims of India will go to hell because they chose to live with stupid Hindus.

Posted by punjabiyaar | Report as abusive

“There certainly are Indian Kashmiris & Pakistani Kashmiris just as there are Indian Punjabis & Pakistani Punjabis and Indian Sindhis & Pakistani Sindhis.”

Ok on that logic fair enough but I think thats more to do with defining which side of Kashmir a kashmiris is living. So kashmiri living under inidan Ocupation would say I live IOK and Kashmris living inAzad kashmir would say living in Azad Kashmir.

“Ifyou are born in South Asia and look like south Asian you have Hindu blood in you. Hindus are living in this part of the world centuries before Muhammad was even born”

Firstly welcome back to work punjabi, surely you are another one the pay roll of indian goverment and been called up to do bit of over time. Since there is myself and as I ma sure you are aware the useuall idiots who for sure must be on the payroll to forwards indian government line. Fair enough as patriotic idiots dont expect anything less.

Firstly what is hindu? I am a hindu! Shocked arnt you!

“And I am sure according to you 170 Million Muslims of India will go to hell because they chose to live with stupid Hindus.”

Not at all… let me also mak ethis clear I dont have anything agianst Hindus, Buddas, Sikhs and so on. I belive in live and let live simple as that. Anyway who am I to judge you are anyother muslim or non-muslim as I will have to answer for my actions and surely so will you according to my beliefs. I respect what you believe or want to.

“orget Benezir, the father of Pakistan & the man you call Qaid-e-Azam, Jinnah had Hindu blood in his veins.”

Forgett Benazir ok since you got it wrong so forget it. I l accept that however if our Quaid had hindu blood so what? That should have made him more sympathetic to hindu brothers but they left him with no choice. As you are aware he was part of congress and all he wanted Muslim intrest safeguarded knowing that after centuries of Muslim rule. Hindus wwould want to get one back and put themuslimon the back seat and the progress of indian muslims in india is indication of that. That another story… why did not your gandhi g assured Jinnah of muslims intrests. Must have had some sinsters plans and the great hindustan dreams went with it…

Posted by Magic786 | Report as abusive

@Magic786,

Trust me Magic, prove it to yourself that you don’t have Hindu blood.

Go and get a genetic profiling done, they are not that expensive. You can get it done in any major India, Pakistani or U.S. or western city. It will show that you DO IN FACT have HINDU genes. Unless you are blonde and blue eyed…you are HINDU, genetically.

Please share the good news with the news media and all of the masjid, when you go there. The whole point of this exercise is to show that we are biological family. Islam, does not change your genetic material and origins.

You are more genetically related to Hindus than you are to Arabs, regardless of the book you read. That is a fact.

Personally, I am not a big religious zealot or fanatic, but I am not atheist either, I treat all people I meet the same way, whether their name is Mike, Mohammed, Eli, Rajeev, or whatever. I don’t care damn how they prepare their food or what they worship or how they worship, those things do not define you as a human being….the things that define you as a human being is how you think, act and behave and what is in your heart. Choice of Religion or some sort of identity does not make you better than anybody.

Oh…by the way, ….muslims do actually do rock worship..don’t forget about the Kabha Stone during Hajj. I think it is ok that muslims choose to revere the Kabha stone as important, I do would not criticize how you worship and neither should you.

Personally I don’t think the great prophet, peace be with him, would condone Pakistani’s talking against their hindu brothers in such a derogatory fashion.

Please reform your behavior, it is racist, supremecist and hate charged and has no place in this world.

Posted by G-W | Report as abusive

@Magic786

—”Firstly what is hindu? I am a hindu! Shocked arnt you!
Hindu is simply word that was used by the Arabs sailors to descibe this part of the world. So yes talking in geographical terms i am a hindu,talking in religious terms I am Muslim and by my ethnic identity i am a Kashmiri.”

Knowing that you are a Hindu does not shocks me or anybody here, you must be shocked by this new revelation that you have biologically you have Hindu Blood, let me shock you more, “Hinduism” is a religion practiced by a billion people wordwide and Arabs called the people of this region Hindus because EVERYBODY practiced same religion.

—–”Firstly welcome back to work punjabi, surely you are another one the pay roll of indian goverment and been called up to do bit of over time”

Nobody here gets paid for writing on reuters (Excluding Myra and Sanjeev). We have regular day jobs and only comment because we have interests in India. We speak about Pakistan becauase terrorist attacks are generated from land of “Pure”, we don’t care what religion you follow in Pakistan or if you have systematically killed Minorities including hindus, unlike pakistan, India do not claim to be a representative for all the Hindus in the world. At end of the day religion is just a name for faith in god. If you want to call your god with a different name go ahead do it. We don’t mind if you want to see you god in Monkey, Cows or Idols, or even if you don’t want to see your god anywhere at all.

But the version of Islam you practice in Pakistan has a superiority complex and hate for people who name their god differently. You say Hindus are idiots because they worship idols, how do you see Muslims throwing Stones at a imaginary Satan ?

If you can see EVIL in a stone pillar whats wrong in seeing GOOD in a stone statue ??

——”let me also mak ethis clear I dont have anything agianst Hindus, Buddas, Sikhs and so on. I belive in live and let live simple as that. Anyway who am I to judge you are anyother muslim or non-muslim as I will have to answer for my actions and surely so will you according to my beliefs. I respect what you believe or want to.”

Your action speaks otherwise, you have addressed Hindus as “Stupid”, “Idiots”, “Worshippers of Cows and Monkeys” and Latest is “Madrasi”, you also said Hindus are “rubbish” because they burn the dead bodies. You did not give the reason how Muslims should be considered “treasure”

Your try to suddenly Pretend to be a goodboy is miserable. Stick to your point that you hate non-muslims.

Posted by punjabiyaar | Report as abusive

Posted by babag

Babag: I know Moin Ansari or Pervez Hoodbhoy’s views already; so no point saying they have different. What are your views is important? Do you buy Moin or Pervez?

@“Please do point out when Indians or I post some propaganda articles.”
To name a few: Rajveevk, G-W, Mortal etc. You might not have posted any articles, to me you are just indian propagandists Who portraying official indian point of view. No insult intended.”

——Sir, I asked you tell us the crappy link we sent you that you think is trash. I am not asking you to just name whenever you fancy to name a person just because you think so.

Also, many are not Indian view, but global view about Pakistan.

_____________

Magic786:

This is getting no where, as expected. I do not know why.

Why you have not been able to explain your double standards (Read my posts please)? If you do not have a point, feel free to be quiet.

Posted by RajeevK | Report as abusive

Magic786/ALI:

“I couldnt stop laughing when rajeeve informed me that Benazer grand daughter was a hindu? lol”

Posted by RajeevK | Report as abusive

“Magic786/ALI:

–Crap. I never said that. Do not engage with too many people if you cannot do that.”

–>

http://www.indiatime.com/2007/12/28/top- 10-little-known-facts-about-benazir-bhut to/

7. Benazir’s grandmother was a Hindu. Grandpa Shahnawaz had married Lakhi Bai, a Hindu beauty who converted to Islam (and became Khursheed Begum) before marriage, but the rest of Lakhi Bai’s family remain Hindu to date and live peacefully in India.

–>The word was grandmother MAGIC786ALI, not grand daughter and that was I who noted that.

Please pass on the fact that Hindu Blood was ruling Pakistan at one time, that being Benazir Bhutto, grand daughter of a hindu.

Posted by G-W | Report as abusive

Rajeev,

At times I am convinced you cannot ever make peace with a people so evil, so disingenous, so pychologically deranged and backwards, that is my opinion.

There is an creed in Pakistan, evil to the bone that knows only lying, death, genocide, theft, political propaganda, corruption and retrograde ness…that being standing still or moving backwards and on top of all that they have perverted Islam for their own Geopolitical gains against India.

It is a pity that the Sufi’s, Ahmadiyas or Shiites are not in Power in Pakistan. I would rather have Iran as a neighbour than Pakistan. Although I don’t care for the Islamic revolution, the Iranians are a well-thought out and wise people who are refined and have some gentleness about them.

Posted by G-W | Report as abusive

GW:

Turkey is clear case of a liberal Muslim nation and on the right track. I was talking to my Indian friend from India, married to an Iranian living in USA that leaving Ahmedinaj….joker and the Islamic revolution out, Iran has lots of positives, many contributions to boast off, a number of scholars, women have higher place than anywhere else in the Muslim world, Iranians are modern people and doing well abroad. While they are stuck with crackpot Ahmedinajad, they are making efforts–a 12 mile human chain by Mousavi-supporters is no small example of their effort when one considers the system in place.

Pakistan is a lost case. It had a great chance since it started from scratch, which can be positive in many ways. Look at Turkey and look at Pakistan. can it be any worse than this? There is always room below and the top. So I won’t make a bet. But Pakistan lost its way very soon after 1947–62rs are gone but nation still talks which political system to have!!! Astonishing that educated middle class is the one that is the culprit and hungry for the fodder of PA/ISI and cannot see that PA is the single reason that has landed Pakistan in trouble. They simply do not know where they belong—-should they turn towards Arabs or towards Indian subcontinent. Pakistani Army/ISO has made the nation slave to its own crooked policies. Confusion about the system has created vacuum that is taken up very efficiently by Islamic radicals—TTP is one of them.

It is a simple case of national identity crisis. Pakistanis know there is a problem but everyone has his/her own diagnosis. Those with the right one are shouting in vain. Allah Malik!

Posted by RajeevK | Report as abusive