West Coast Enterprise Editor
Peter's Feed
Mar 21, 2012

Afghan shooting suspect joined Army, dodged judgment

NEW YORK/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – The U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 civilians in Afghanistan left for war without paying a $1.5 million judgment for defrauding an elderly client in a stock scheme, and remains shielded from the obligation as long as he remains in the military, legal experts said.

Before beginning his military career in November, 2001, Bales worked almost five-and-a-half years at a series of largely intertwined brokerages that received repeated regulatory censures, according to regulatory records.

Mar 20, 2012

Wife of Afghan shooting suspect: how could this be?

SEATTLE/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – The wife of the U.S. soldier suspected of gunning down 16 Afghan civilians broke her silence on Monday to say she did not know what happened half a world away, but felt for the families of the victims while loving her husband very much.

U.S. authorities say Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales, 38, walked out of his camp in Kandahar province just over a week ago to kill the Afghans, including nine children, before turning himself in.

Mar 19, 2012

Afghan shooting suspect called to duty repeatedly

TACOMA, Washington (Reuters) – Robert Bales built a life around a call to arms. A call that emanated from the ashes of the World Trade Center in New York and took him to the mayhem of faraway Iraq and Afghanistan. A call he may have heard one time too many.

The 38-year-old U.S. Army staff sergeant suspected of gunning down 16 Afghan civilians, including nine children, had struggled to make financial ends meet and was disappointed at being sent back into a war zone for a fourth time rather than an easier posting in Germany or Hawaii.

Mar 18, 2012

Afghan shooting suspect called to duty again and again

TACOMA, Washington (Reuters) – Robert Bales built a life around a call to arms. A call that emanated from the ashes of the World Trade Center in New York and took him to the mayhem of faraway Iraq and Afghanistan. A call he may have heard one time too many.

The 38-year-old U.S. Army staff sergeant suspected of gunning down 16 Afghan civilians, including nine children, had struggled to make financial ends meet and was disappointed at being sent back into a war zone for a fourth time rather than an easier posting in Germany or Hawaii.

Mar 18, 2012

Soldier suspected in Afghanistan massacre to huddle with lawyers

TACOMA, Washington (Reuters) – A lawyer representing the U.S. soldier implicated in the massacre of 16 villagers in Afghanistan said on Saturday he and other members of the defense team would spend several days with him in the week ahead.

U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales is in solitary confinement at a military detention center at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where he arrived late on Friday.

Mar 16, 2012

Afghan massacre suspect upset at fourth tour: lawyer

SEATTLE (Reuters) – The U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians was upset at having to do a fourth tour of duty in a war zone and was likely suffering from stress after seeing colleagues wounded, his defense lawyer said on Thursday.

Seattle defense attorney John Henry Browne said the 38-year-old staff sergeant accused of gunning down children and families on Sunday had already been wounded twice in three tours in Iraq and had been told he would not be sent back to a war zone.

Mar 16, 2012

Charges against Afghan massacre suspect may be weeks away

SEATTLE (Reuters) – The unidentified U.S. soldier at the centre of the massacre in which 16 Afghans, mostly women and children, were killed over the weekend may not be charged by U.S. authorities for weeks, his defence lawyer said on Thursday.

John Henry Browne, a prominent Seattle defence attorney who represented notorious serial killer Ted Bundy, told reporters that charges against his client would be filed “probably not sooner than a few weeks.”

Mar 15, 2012

U.S. troops numb, uncertain after Afghan massacre

LAKEWOOD, Washington (Reuters) – Around the home base of the American soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians there is a sense of dedication to a tough job, but stress from years of battle in repeated tours in the “sand box” of Iraq and Afghanistan is eating away at troops.

“A lot of the guys, especially those with a lot of deployments, have built up a numbness to people being killed or hurt,” said one veteran of six tours abroad, including Iraq and Afghanistan, describing his own reaction to the weekend shooting. “The people who hate us are going to put a bad spin on us no matter what we do.”

Feb 29, 2012

Team Ellison blinks on America’s Cup development

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – A company owned by billionaire Larry Ellison that is hosting the 2013 America’s Cup sailing race has cut back plans for developing the San Francisco waterfront, citing financial risks.

Catamarans 40 meters (131 feet) high will dash across San Francisco Bay next year in the 34th America’s Cup event, although city hall has not signed off on final terms of the deal with the group led by Ellison. The team run by the chief executive of Oracle Corp, the world’s No. 3 software maker, won the last race four years ago and now is defending the Cup, first awarded in 1851.

Feb 28, 2012
    • About Peter

      "Peter Henderson has worked for Reuters for more than a decade, covering the collapse of the Russian economy in the 1990s, media in Los Angeles and politics in San Francisco. He is West Coast Enterprise Editor, focusing on reporting and editing in-depth stories."
    • More from Peter

    • Contact Peter

    • Follow Peter