The Sibuyen ferry disaster

July 11, 2008

When I heard that a ferry with 865 passengers onboard had sunk in the waters off Sibuyen Island in the central Philippines during Typhoon Fengshen, I set about trying to get there. My best bet was to hitch a ride on a Philippine Airforce helicopter.


So at 05:30 I was at a Manila airforce base, hoping to accompany the first flight of the search and rescue operation. All I had were the clothes on my back, a laptop, a satellite phone and one camera body.


My other camera body had been also been casualty of Typhoon Fengshen when it hit Manila but I was concerned that they would bump me off the flight if I carried too much.

At 07:00, I was still on the ground but with no sign of the opposition I worried that maybe they had hired their own aircraft and were already ahead of me. However, shortly afterwards we were on our way to Sibuyan Island.

After an hour and a half of flying, we caughtour first sight of the capsized ferry, the MV Princess of the Stars. I immediately began shooting pictures, but when I had done I was struck by the realisation  that the ship was still full of the bodies of the victims.


We landed in a nearby town called San Fernando and before I began filing my pictures over the satphone I watched as the air force helicopter, the only form of transportation to the remote island, took off again. It was then that I realized I was the first agency photographer there.

A local guy told me that there had been four survivors and that they were staying at the municipal hall nearby. Their faces were covered in cuts and bruises – one described to me how he had jumped from the ferry and swum ashore, and how he had had to leave others behind for fear he too would drown. 


I was offered overnight accommodation in a home which still had electricity and running water.

Next day I hired a small boat to get closer to the stricken  ferry, saying silent prayers as the boatmen steered through enormous waves.  As we approached, Coast Guard rescue divers had just recovered two bodies. They were bloated – almost unrecognisable.


Back on the shore, relatives and spectators were beginning to gather. Some days later a priest said mass for the victims, from a tugboat and relatives of the victims remebered their loved-ones by throwing flowers into the ocean. It was impossible not to be moved by their anguish. 


On my fifth day, I returned to site and was surprised to find it empty. The coast guard commander called an emergency briefing and announced that the recovery of the bodies had been halted because there were toxic pesticides on board the sunken ship, which threatened the well-being of the divers. As soon as that news hit Manila I got a call from the bureau, instructing me to stay off the water.


I left later that day with the ferry still in its capsized position and hundreds of unrecovered bodies still floating beneath it.

It is deperately sad that yet another disaster in the Philippines should have claimed so many lives and I really struggle to imagine what the victims’ relatives must be going through.


We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see

Sad to think of the remaining 860 some passengers, who were real people with families, that will simply become another statistic mentioned on the nightly news. Seems there are no heros in this story, only the blank faces of the four survivors, and not so much as a footprint left behind of the typhon Fengshen. Mother Earth has simply done what she always does while humanity morns their loss. My prayers go out to those who survived, those lost, and those left behind.

Posted by Bill S | Report as abusive

[…] Birthing in the New WorldThe Sibuyen ferry disasterRiding the chuckwagon: Audio slideshowGetting your point acrossIn the wink of an eyeBe […]

Posted by » Blog Archive » The Sibuyen ferry disaster | Report as abusive

What is so puzzling is if they knew that a typhoon was imminent before getting on that ferry -was there any weather warnings

Posted by NYC | Report as abusive

The shipping agency has become to be known as one big mortuary agents with its long list of sea tragedies caused by negligence and, hoping against hope, dirty insurance maneuvers. I myself is not a racist, but if this accident will be the gauge, I want all Chinese business families, specially the Go family that owns Sulpicio Lines, herded off to a faulty ship and set to sail against an oncoming storm.

Posted by Datu Daku | Report as abusive