Life and death on a medevac helicopter

August 30, 2010

An Afghan man suffering from multiple stab wounds is loaded onto a medevac helicopter near the town of Marjah in Helmand Province, August 21, 2010. REUTERS/Bob Strong

Taking pictures of people who are suffering and in pain is never an easy experience. From the jump seat in the back of a Blackhawk medevac helicopter, a constant stream of injured, dead and dying men and women passed in front of me during a recent week-long embed. The wounds were as varied as the patients; an Afghan soldier with kidney stones to a Marine whose legs had been nearly severed by an IED blast.

An Afghan man holds his daughter onboard a medevac helicopter after she was shot in the ear during a gun battle between Marines and insurgents near the town of Marjah, in Helmand Province, August 21, 2010. REUTERS/Bob Strong The medevac helicopter crews were part of the 101st Airborne Division based at Camp Dwyer, a dusty Marine base in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province.  During my one week embed with Charlie Company, I would generally work from 6am until it got dark around 7:30pm. The busiest times of day seemed to be in the morning and then again in the afternoon, but calls were received 24 hours a day. About 50% of our patients were Afghan nationals, both military and civilians; with injuries ranging from amputated limbs blown off by IED’s to stab wounds from domestic disputes. The military medical facilities offer the same level of care to locals and soldiers alike, in no small part to gain a bit of good will in this hostile and volatile province.

One morning I was in my tent when the call went out over the radios, “Medevac Medevac Medevac” I joined the crew as we sprinted to the helicopter and within minutes we were airborne. The noise inside was deafening, and earplugs brought the level down to a dull roar. After about 15 minutes, the pilot increased our speed to around 175 mph (280 km/h) and we dropped to tree-top level for our final approach. The helicopter rotors kicked up a cloud of dust as we touched down and the flight medic jumped out to help board the wounded.

U.S. Marines talk to medevac helicopter crew members after loading two comrades gravely wounded in an IED (improvised explosive device) blast near the town of Marjah in Helmand Province in this picture taken August 22, 2010.   REUTERS/Bob Strong

A group of Marines were already running towards the door carrying a litter with an injured comrade. The soldier was conscious as they placed him onto the floor and one Marine reached out to shake his hand before leaving. A moment later, a second litter arrived with a more serious casualty. The Marine had no vital signs and the flight medic immediately began CPR while the crew chief pumped air into his lungs.  They worked on the wounded man for the entire flight back to the hospital, about 20 minutes, and as soon as they arrived, a nurse jumped onto the gurney and continued to pump his chest.

A U.S. Army medevac crew member attempts to revive a Marine mortally wounded in an IED (improvised explosion device) blast near the town of Marjah in Helmand province in this picture taken August 22, 2010. REUTERS/Bob Strong

We returned to headquarters and I asked the flight medic about the second Marine. He shook his head and said he had probably died before we even got there. I found out later that the Marine who died was 19-years-old, and had been deployed only one month earlier.  The crew began to clean the blood and bandages from the rear of the helicopter in preparation for the next mission.  I walked back to my tent to download my pictures, wondering how any image could tell such a story.

A U.S. Army medevac crew member attempts to revive a Marine mortally wounded in an IED (improvised explosion device) blast near the town of Marjah in Helmand province in this picture taken August 22, 2010. REUTERS/Bob Strong


We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see

[...] up rescue of trapped minersFed policy on right course, economists say Reuters Photographers Blog Life and death on a medevac helicopterGlorifying the war or praying for peace?Best of Britain: Storm’s comingPrime position for a [...]

Thanks Bob for the moving pictures that tell the story of the war in Afghanistan.

Posted by CorinnePerkins | Report as abusive

Thanks for the connection to the war especially to Camp Dwyer. Our son is a critical nurse there and since traditional media is choosing not to cover the war you are one of the ways we can get a glimpse of what is happening where are loved one is.

Posted by debbie54 | Report as abusive

debbie54 – Your son and the other nurses, doctors and medevac crews at Camp Dwyer are real heros. In the middle of a desert in a faraway land they risk their lives to save US soldiers, local nationals, and even wounded insurgents. One of the hardest embeds I’ve ever done, and I’m grateful to have met and worked with the folks out there.

Posted by Photog | Report as abusive

I am a retired Army photojournalist. While in Vietnam, I was simply a photographer, and shot bunches of photos, a lot of them being the carnage of battle. A lot of the stuff was strictly “documentation for posterity”. Some of my pix have even been published with the credit line reading “U.S. Army Photograph”. And a lot of my pix I shot while working at Kennedy Space Center, have wound up in books, with the credit line, “NASA Photograph”. While these “snubs” don’t really bother me, I would just as soon avoid going back to a combat zone, and seeing U.S. military guys being wounded. THAT does bother me.

Posted by MilitaryRetiree | Report as abusive

Who is the nurse doing CPR, what is her name? I would like to contact her for a interveiw. Steve Madden

Posted by Maddogg | Report as abusive