Lady Gaga’s meat dress in hindsight

September 13, 2010

The biggest cheer at Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards came when DJ Deadmau5 played Led Zeppelin during a commercial break.

Lady Gaga holds her video of the year award for 'Bad Romance' as she wears a dress made of meat next to presenter Cher at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, California September 12, 2010.           REUTERS/Mike Blake Oh yeah, the Meat Dress…

The only thing going through my head when Cher announced Lady Gaga had won Video of the year was… where is the boom camera?

The shooting position was extremely far away inside the theater (I had to shoot with a 600mm on a Canon MK4 which is X 1.3 chip ASA1250@ 200th sec… even then the stage was still head to toe vertical). The boom camera had been taking me out all night long and I was constantly moving my position trying to second guess where it would go. Obviously, the picture was going to be her in her dress with Cher in her dress. The infamous Meat Dress… I had no idea it was a meat dress until I made my way out of the theater and across the street to where colleagues Sam Mircovich and Fred Prouser were editing the images from the show. Sam said, “Nice meat dress stuff” I answered, “What?” I had no idea! She was changing her dress after every commercial break and looking at her through long glass in low light I though it was some type of “Flintstones” outfit.

Lady Gaga, wearing a meat dress, poses backstage at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, California, September 12, 2010. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni (L and R) and Mike Blake (C)

Our edit area was close to the photo room so after I got my gear together I went over to add an extra angle to fellow photographer Mario who was in the room after having done red carpet arrivals. I took a side angle as Mario was head on. Lady Gaga came into the room and the usual yelling and flashes were going off. She hit all her marks on the stage… walk, stop, pose and then she blew a kiss and walked off with all the photographers booing her because she would not pose with any of her moon man awards. Even with the knowledge that she was wearing a meat dress as I photographed her in the photo room, I have to say it was not dripping, nor was it smelly or sticking to her skin. It was however coming apart at the rear…. so of course I made a frame of that.

Lady Gaga stands backstage in a meat dress at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, California September 12, 2010.           REUTERS/Mike Blake

She’s an odd kid.

Posted by inverse137 | Report as abusive

omg madness.cool though.gotta love her.

Posted by tess2010 | Report as abusive

God, how weird is that.

Also the fact that you have to shoot a show like this with a 600mm lens.

Posted by efbe | Report as abusive

Wow…im definitely having a Braai (BBQ) in Durban, she just needs the Wors – watch out for my Dog.

Posted by Bradcean | Report as abusive

[...] was already done by Britney Spears. So Lady Gaga stepped outside the box and managed to shock by wearing a dead animal. She changed into a dress and carried a matching purse made of cuts of raw mea… to accept her moonman for video of the year. Of course, the meat attire angered animal rights group [...]

[...] this week with her controversial raw "meat dress" at the MTV Video Music Awards award ceremony (click here to see a photo). Was the dress really that weird? It depends on who you ask. Some critics roll their eyes with a [...]

As I look at and listen to the latest generation of performers and so-called artists being born into America’s pop culture, i.e. this Lady Ga Ga, the presence and symbols of the occult are so overwhelmingly overt that it is way past disturbing! And the media, in all its mammonish efforts, passes out these meaningless awards that senselessly props up these same confused souls who scribe and banter out lyrics from their dysfunctional lives for there own avarice desires.

Posted by JadaRah | Report as abusive

If Madonna had a noisy little sister who played with her stuff, this would be her.

Posted by Gruden | Report as abusive

She wore the meat dress because she is anti-fur – not some occultist. It is a statement that wearing fur disgusting because it is wearing dead animals. She’s a pop artist, she makes artistic statements. This one is so heavy-handed it ought to obvious to even the most thick-headed. Don’t believe me that she is anti fur? Just google for “lady gaga fur.”

Posted by Antigon3 | Report as abusive

Slap her on the BBQ and crack a beer!

Posted by HeathHolden | Report as abusive

this is an outrage…Lady Gaga is wearing meat so the world can see while there are people in this world who is literally dying to have a piece of that meat in their pots to cook.

What does vegetarians and poverty struck countries learn from this statement she made. People like her should stop and think for a minute before doing something so cruel.

Posted by cupcake_88 | Report as abusive

In what state of mind does someone have to be to do the things that she does ?

Posted by PRECIOUS22502 | Report as abusive

[...] (credit) [...]

I LOVED HER DRESS, BECAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS, THATS HOW ANYONE WEARING “FAUX FUR” OR FUR LOOK. “FAUX FUR” MIND YOU, IS MADE UP OF GERMAN SHEPARDS,GOLDEN RETRIEVERS, ECT….

Posted by Terra818 | Report as abusive

Let’s throw Lady Gaga on the grill with some A1 sauce.. I bet she’d taste pretty good.

Posted by alexbern | Report as abusive

[...] a word: meaty. There’s a lot of meat on that [...]

shes like insane wearing a gown full of meat? what is the meaning of that?

Posted by johncarlo | Report as abusive