A convert to Islam

February 28, 2012

Nice story. I wish there was more to read, but i wonder about this topic – Muslim Converts – quite often. Thanks!

Posted by UnbiasAmerican | Report as abusive

Very nice story indeed and I also wish there was more to read. Thanks for this.

Posted by Asif_Dhaka | Report as abusive

very interesting

Posted by gkar | Report as abusive

Much is made about people converting to Islam but very little about muslims rejecting Islam. I follow my own spiritual path free of religious dogma and would hope that as I allow others to believe what they will, that they do me the same courtesy. But judging by what the CEMB (Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain) that doesn’t seem to be the case with Islam ie apostasy. It would interesting to know just how many muslims would take the opportunity to leave Islam if they weren’t afraid of the consequences. I’m just asking because articles like this don’t present a balanced picture of the situation, in fact it implies that the conversion traffic is all one way.

Posted by SolitaryBelief | Report as abusive

Great story, nice to hear something positive about the Muslim community.

Posted by islam1986 | Report as abusive

>>In an age where there is a lot of skepticism around Islam, empirical evidence has proved otherwise.<<

Nothing you wrote supports this statement. Your straw man isn’t even made of anything as substantial as straw. Is there such a thing as a fallacious argument called a “thin air man”?

I am not anti-Muslim. I know and respect many fine people who happen to be Muslim. I am, however, anti-false arguments.

Please learn the dozen or so most common false arguments used in debates and then apply them to your own writing, and most importantly, your own thinking. We will all be better for it.

Posted by BajaArizona | Report as abusive

Sigh…Reuters comments pages are extremely buggy. Only half my post made it last time.

You wrote “In an age where there is a lot of skepticism around Islam, empirical evidence has proved otherwise.”

This sentence has so many problems with it I’m having difficulty knowing where to begin.

You do not mention why (Oh why?) would anyone think we live in an “age of skepticism around Islam.” Were your intention to compose a straw man argument, you’d still need to introduce a Mr. Straw here, say an unreasonable bigot with no ability to be objective. You don’t even make that much effort.

You then counter your non-existent straw man (thin air man?) by saying “empirical evidence has proved otherwise.” Whereas you do provide anecdotal evidence, you do not in fact provide any empirical evidence. Yes, empirical refers to observation, but only in the context of a scientific experiment whereby actual evidence is obtained.

I would like to conclude by assuring you that my diatribe is not directed at your faith, but rather your writing skills. I know and respect many Muslims, and I have lived in Muslim countries.

To become a better writer, debater, and yes thinker, please look to a search engine for the dozen most common fallacious arguments (you’ll find a definition of “straw man” among them).

Posted by BajaArizona | Report as abusive

its good to hear, Accepting or converting religion is not a bad thing its your own decision i personally research on different religion i also like Islam and the rules of islam because there is some logic but in pakistan now in these days minorities was forcing by some people to accept Islam and its not a right thing in last 3 days almost 75 families migrate to india just because ok kidnapping the girls and force fully convert the religion if you are doing this thing u r insulting your and other religion also because i know Islam and other religion didn’t teach us these things.

Posted by aroonk | Report as abusive

Why didn’t he want to be photographed with his wife?

Did he give a reason I thought Islam saw men and women equally?

If he s turned his life around for the better good on him.

Posted by jeztone | Report as abusive