Deals du jour
Magna and GM aim to sign a deal on Opel by July 15, Blackstone plans to establish a Chinese subsidiary, and AIG picks banks to run the $4 billion-plus IPO of its Asian life insurance unit – for all the latest deals news from Reuters, click here.
And in the newspapers (some external links may require subscriptions):
* KazMunaiGas Exploration and Production, the listed arm of Kazakhstan’s national oil company, has $4bn of cash available for acquisitions and hopes to agree deals before the end of the year, its new chief executive told the Financial Times.
* Stephen Pagliuca, one of three parties interested in buying The Boston Globe, is willing to work with the U.S. newspaper’s largest union to structure a buy-out from its owner The New York Times, the Financial Times reported, citing a person familiar with the discussions.
* Handelsbanken, the Swedish bank, has placed over $12.75 billion in an account at the Riksbank in a bid to help the central bank safeguard the financial system, business daily Dagens Industri reported. Reuters story here.
* Saudi Arabia is considering placing a blockbuster order for a further 72 Typhoon fighter jets worth about 5 billion pounds ($8.1 billion) which could provide a huge boost to BAE Systems, the Daily Mail newspaper reported.
* French group Areva is in exclusive talks with U.S. power group Duke Energy to build a new generation nuclear reactor in Ohio, French daily newspaper La Tribune reported, citing no sources. Reuters story here.