Keeping score: EMEA mid-market M&A halves
Highlights from Thomson Reuters data on mid-market (sub-$500 milion) deals. For October in European, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA):
· Average bid premium four weeks prior to announcement increased on average across sectors in EMEA year to date compared to same period in 2008 by 2% with bid premia rising slightly with half the sector showing an increase and half decreasing.
· Year on year Average Rank Value to EBITDA however decreased by 16% on average with only the Real Estate and Materials sectors increasing.
· JP Morgan top the European Mid-Market M&A rankings YTD, up from third position for same period 2008
· EMEA Mid-Market M&A from January to end of October down 49.6% compared to same period last year, to US$110.2bn from US$218.8bn.
· EMEA Mid-Market M&A activity for October at US$12.2bn, down 12% from September’s US$13.9bn, but down 34.9% compared to October 2008 which stood at US$18.7bn.
· EMEA High Technology US$865m for October down 60% from US$2.2bn in October 2008.
· EMEA Media & Entertainment US$165m for October down 86% from US$1.2bn in October 2008.
· EMEA Telecommunications US$219m for October down 79% from US$1.1bn in October 2008
Global Mid-Market deal activity for October at US$46.8bn from 2,864 deals, down 11% from US$52.7bn from 3,207 deals in September but only slightly down compared to same month previous year from US$48.5bn.