Genentech grabbed the three letters synonymous with biotechnology by being in on the ground floor of the gene revolution. Anheuser-Busch was lucky enough to have a beer brand known everywhere by one syllable. Now both look doomed.
Genentech faces a $43.7 billion bid from Roche for the 44 percent of the Californian biotech group that it doesn’t already own. Genentech is expected to succomb, albeit after a possibly sweetened offer. Anheuser has already agreed to a $52 billion takeover by InBev.
- BID for auctioneer Sotheby’s
- HOG for Harley-Davidson
- TAP for brewer Molson Coors
- JAVA for Sun Microsystems
- CAR for Avis Budget
- PZZA for pizza company Papa John’s
- BLUD for blood test group Immucor
- LUV for Southwest Airlines (after its Love Field airport in Dallas)
- LVB for Steinway Musical Instruments (after Ludwig van Beethoven)
- LIZ for Liz Claiborne
- PUB for Britain’s Punch Taverns
- WOOF for pet healthcare provider VCA Antech…does that take the biscuit?