Correspondent, Mumbai
Rina's Feed
May 6, 2010

Kasab sentenced to death for Mumbai attacks

MUMBAI (Reuters) – A Mumbai court sentenced to death Pakistani citizen Mohammad Ajmal Kasab over the 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people and broke off peace talks between the nuclear-armed neighbouring rivals.

The sentencing comes days after a Pakistani-American, who U.S. authorities say trained with al Qaeda in Pakistan, was charged for a failed attempt to bomb New York’s Times Square, highlighting the continued threat from militants.

May 4, 2010

Prosecutors seek death sentence in Mumbai trial

MUMBAI (Reuters) – Prosecutors asked an Indian court on Tuesday to sentence to death a Pakistani man found guilty over the 2008 Mumbai attacks after a trial India said sent a message to its rival neighbor Pakistan not to “export terrorism”.

Mohammad Ajmal Kasab was the only gunman captured alive in the three-day rampage through India’s financial capital in November 2008 that killed 166 people at key landmarks, including two luxury hotels, the main train station and a Jewish center.

May 3, 2010

Indian court convicts Mumbai attack gunman

MUMBAI, May 3 (Reuters) – An Indian court on Monday found a
Pakistani man guilty on 86 charges from the 2008 Mumbai
attacks, including waging war on India and murder, in a trial
that strained ties between New Delhi and Islamabad.

Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman from the
attacks that killed 166 people, will be sentenced on Tuesday
and could face the gallows.

May 3, 2010

Court finds Mumbai attack accused Kasab guilty

MUMBAI (Reuters) – A court on Monday found Pakistani citizen Mohammad Ajmal Kasab guilty of involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, the first verdict delivered in a case that has worsened ties between New Delhi and Islamabad.

The court found Kasab, the lone surviving gunman from the Mumbai attacks, guilty of charges including waging war on India and murder. Sentencing will be on Tuesday and he could now face the gallows.

May 3, 2010

India court finds Mumbai attack accused guilty

MUMBAI, May 3 (Reuters) – An Indian court on Monday found a Pakistani man guilty of involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, the first verdict delivered in a case that has worsened ties between New Delhi and Islamabad.

The court found Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman from the Mumbai attacks, guilty of charges including waging war on India and murder. Sentencing will be on Tuesday and he could now face the gallows.

Kasab was caught on tape strolling through Mumbai’s main train station carrying an AK-47 rifle and a knapsack on his back, prosecutors say. Nearly 60 people were gunned down in the crowded station.

Kasab, wounded by police and arrested on the first night of the attacks, initially admitted his role and then said he had been framed.

At least 166 people, including foreigners and some of India’s wealthy business elite, were killed by 10 Pakistani gunmen in a three-day rampage through some of Mumbai’s best known landmarks including two luxury hotels and a Jewish centre.

Two Indian nationals accused of being members of the Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and of conducting reconnaissance in Mumbai before the attack, were aquitted of all charges, according to the court.

The Mumbai attack prompted New Delhi to break off peace talks with Pakistan, saying Islamabad must first act against militants operating from its soil, including the LeT, of which Kasab is accused of being a member.

India had charged 38 people in connection with the attack, most of them living in Pakistan.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For a FACTBOX on the accused see [ID:nSGE63T0B4]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The verdict comes days after the prime ministers of India and Pakistan held talks in Bhutan and asked their officials to take steps to normalise relations, signalling a thaw in ties that analysts say should not be affected by Monday’s verdict.

One risk to normalising relations is another major militant attack in India and the ensuing political pressure that could force the government to break off the dialogue process. (Reporting by Rina Chandran; Editing by Alistair Scrutton)





May 3, 2010

India court to deliver verdict on Mumbai attack suspect

MUMBAI (Reuters) – An Indian court will deliver a verdict on Monday in the trial of a Pakistani accused of being the lone surviving gunman in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, a case that has strained ties between New Delhi and Islamabad.

Mohammad Ajmal Kasab is charged with 86 offences including waging war on India and murder. He could face the gallows if found guilty.

May 3, 2010

Court to deliver verdict on Mumbai attack suspect Kasab

MUMBAI (Reuters) – A court will deliver a verdict on Monday in the trial of Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the Pakistani accused of being the lone surviving gunman in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, a case that has strained ties between New Delhi and Islamabad.

Kasab is charged with 86 offences including waging war on India and murder. He could face the gallows if found guilty.

Apr 29, 2010

An identity for all: India ID project fights dust, doubt

MUMBAI, April 29 (Reuters) – As India gears up to build the
largest biometric database in the world with the aim of
providing most of its 1.2 billion citizens a Unique
Identification (UID), perhaps the biggest challenge is smudged
fingerprints.

The UID Authority of India will issue the first UIDs linked
to a person’s demographic and biometric information between
August and February, and issue about 600 million such IDs over
the next five years to help verify citizens quickly and
cheaply. It will be a boon for companies and government
agencies alike.

Apr 26, 2010

India’s powerful cricket chief bowled out

MUMBAI (Reuters) – Lalit Modi, former chief of the Indian Premier League cricket tournament, has often courted controversy, whether as a businessman who invented “cricketainment” or as a child who ran away from school.

But the controversy over one of the world’s richest sports leagues, which he almost single-handedly turned into a $4.1 billion (2.7 billion pound) enterprise with millions of fans, is arguably the biggest, with graft allegations ensnaring top politicians and Bollywood stars, and straining the government coalition.

Apr 26, 2010

IPL chief Lalit Modi bowled out

MUMBAI (Reuters) – Lalit Modi, former chief of the Indian Premier League cricket tournament, has often courted controversy, whether as a businessman who invented “cricketainment” or as a child who ran away from school.

But the controversy over one of the world’s richest sports leagues, which he almost single-handedly turned into a $4.1 billion enterprise with millions of fans, is arguably the biggest, with graft allegations ensnaring top politicians and Bollywood stars, and straining the government coalition.