A Shanghai sinking – an aerial perspective

February 3, 2010

Checking through the file this picture by Reuters Shanghai based photographer Aly Song really caught my eye and I needed to think why.

CHINA

A view shows a sinking cargo ship after it collided with a boat on Huangpu River in Shanghai February 1, 2010. Three sailors were  rescued from the accident, while further investigation is underway, according to local media. REUTERS/Aly Song

Why does this picture work so well when common sense tells me the worker in the foreground should block my view of the scene? Why don’t I feel that I want him to move so I can see the whole scene? Maybe it’s the way I am drawn into the picture by the strong sense of aerial perspective, the bold dark red of the helmet in the foreground, the point of focus, the harsh contrast of the diagonals thrown up by the stricken cargo ship and then through into the soft, misty and pale skyline of Shanghai.

Or is it the classic grid like composition of the horizontal line of the waters edge and the vertical lines of the buildings that are both dissected by the triangular shapes of the cargo ship? What ever it is the eye suddenly snaps back to the subject, an overturned cargo ship slowly sinking in the murky waters of the Huangpu River.

I just have to know more. The caption tells me the cargo ship collided with a barge, three sailors were rescued and an investigation is underway.

Have a look at the picture below without the worker – see what I mean?

CHINA

Russell Boyce, Chief photographer Asia

Comments

The worker softens the image and brings a human dimension to what is essentially a mass of concrete and broken steel.

In a more technical dimension, the worker fills the critical RH 1/3 of the image, helping to contextualise the scene

Nice image Aly!

Posted by NIck Wilcox-Brown | Report as abusive

Good work Aly! Russel said it better than I can.
Lucas
My own images of Shanghai here http:///www.pictobank.com

Posted by lucas | Report as abusive

…works for me, as the helmeted worker, gives some additional info. Tells me there is some other people at the scene. And yes, it ads human dimension.

Posted by Olli | Report as abusive

footwear mbt…

shimano mtb shoes A Shanghai sinking – an aerial perspective | Journalist Profile | Reuters.com…

Posted by footwear mbt | Report as abusive

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already Cheers!

Posted by traducator daneza | Report as abusive

Great site! I come here constantly! Keep the great work!

Posted by Mckenzie Gillaspie | Report as abusive

467214 933085Great post, I conceive blog owners should acquire a lot from this web blog its real user pleasant. 984239

Posted by Annis Bayes | Report as abusive

Couldnt be written any benefit. Looking over this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept dealing with this. I’m going to forward this information to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a good read. Thank you sharing!

Posted by cheap facebook fans | Report as abusive

Fantastic, this will be a marvelous section of document which i’ve uncover of many years very long. Complete usually drop by my personal website.

Posted by flipkart coupons | Report as abusive

This method is among the actual quite net site We have at visitied. the details are take a moment to fantastic.

Posted by godaddy coupons | Report as abusive

This really is extraordinarily real time as improved around the site. Admire speaking about in existence.

Posted by greencart coupon codes | Report as abusive

Can do check-out my website Freekaamaal and share your feelings and also thoughts about keep in mind this.

Posted by pizzahut coupons | Report as abusive

This really is exceptionally legal time as increased into the web page. Understand talking about all-around.

Posted by flipkart coupons | Report as abusive

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

Posted by Aydın Bayan Sohbet | Report as abusive

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

Posted by aydın bayan sohbet | Report as abusive

This can be remarkably legal idea as raised around the article. Treasure referring to round.

Posted by air tickets | Report as abusive

There is certainly a lot to learn about this topic. I love all the points you have made.

Posted by Lyndon Queener | Report as abusive

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post and also the rest of the website is also very good.

Posted by Akiko Delger | Report as abusive

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I stumbled across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

Posted by Norene Dena | Report as abusive