BOSTON (Reuters) – A soldier in the Afghanistan army who went missing during a training exercise at a U.S. military base in Massachusetts last year has been granted asylum by the United States, his lawyer said on Tuesday.
Major Jan Mohammad Arash was one of three Afghan soldiers who turned themselves in at a Canadian border crossing in New York state in September after disappearing from an exercise at Joint Base Cape Cod, provoking a search by military officials and state police.
By Scott Malone
(Reuters) – A Maine innkeeper broke no laws when she offered to give away her historic hotel to the winner of an essay contest that charged a $125 entry fee, state police said on Tuesday following an investigation into the contest.
The owner of the Center Lovell Inn and Restaurant, located east of the White Mountains near the New Hampshire border, attracted national attention in March when she said she was retiring and planned to give away the property to the winner of an essay contest.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Backers of Boston’s controversial bid to host the 2024 Olympic Games unveiled a revised plan for the Games on Monday that they said would run a $210 million operating surplus, addressing concerns the event would leave city taxpayers on the hook.
The forecast operating budget of $4.595 billion excludes hefty capital costs including an estimated $2.8 billion to build an Olympic Village for housing athletes and a $1.2 billion temporary stadium that would host the opening and closing ceremonies and then be disassembled and converted to parkland.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on Wednesday apologised for the deadly 2013 attack at a hearing before a U.S. judge formally sentenced him to death for killing four people and injuring 264 in the bombing and its aftermath.
The 21-year-old ethnic Chechen, who had not testified during his trial, referred to Allah and admitted that he and his now-dead older brother carried out one of the highest-profile attacks on U.S. soil, in a courtroom packed with survivors of the April 15, 2013 bombing.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Before he was sentenced to death on Wednesday, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev apologized in court for his role in the attack and its aftermath that claimed four lives and injured 264.
But few in Boston, from the survivors of the April 15, 2013 attack to the city’s streets, were impressed by the 21-year-old man’s words.
BOSTON (Reuters) – The mother of one of the three people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, speaking at the Wednesday hearing where a U.S. judge will formally sentence Dzokhar Tsarnaev to death, said the convicted bomber made “despicable” choices.
The same federal jury that earlier this year found Tsarnaev, 21, guilty of killing four people and injuring 264 in the bombing and its aftermath voted in May to sentence him to death by lethal injection. U.S. District Judge George O’Toole on Wednesday will order the punishment.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on Wednesday will face about 20 people who lost limbs or loved ones in the deadly 2013 attack as a federal judge sentences him to death for his crimes.
The same federal jury that earlier this year found Tsarnaev guilty of killing four people and injuring 264 in the bombing and its aftermath voted in May to sentence him to death by lethal injection. U.S. District Judge George O’Toole will order the punishment on Wednesday.
BOSTON (Reuters) – A citizen of Kyrgyzstan who was friends with the Boston Marathon bombers is due to be sentenced to two-and-a-half years in federal prison on Thursday for lying to investigators probing the deadly 2013 attack.
Cab driver Khairullozhon Matanov is the fourth person connected to ethic Chechen brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev to face jail time for misleading investigators during the massive search for the men who killed three people and injured 264 with a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Lawyers for a man who pleaded guilty to three murders after a Massachusetts carjacking more than a decade ago are due in court on Wednesday to ask that the trial to determine whether he is sentenced to death be moved out of state.
Gary Lee Sampson in 2003 was sentenced to death in federal court to murdering two men who had picked him up while he was hitchhiking and later killing a third man after he fled to New Hampshire. But his sentence was overturned in 2011 by a judge after it emerged one of the jurors had lied about prior dealings with law enforcement.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Former mobster James “Whitey” Bulger will get a chance next month to argue against a 2013 jury verdict that found him guilty of committing or ordering the murders of 11 people while he ruled Boston’s underworld in the 1970s and ’80s.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit on Monday said it would hear Bulger’s case on July 27 in the same waterfront courthouse where a jury heard descriptions of what U.S. District Judge Denise Casper called the “unfathomable” crimes he committed while running the city’s “Winter Hill” crime gang.