By Scott Malone
PROVIDENCE R.I. (Reuters) – The man who ran Providence, Rhode Island, for 22 of the past 50 years is convinced that his hometown needs him again and isn’t going to let a little thing like the five years he spent in prison on a racketeering conviction stand in his way.
Vincent “Buddy” Cianci stunned the city’s political wags early this summer when he told his radio talk show audience that he would run for a third stint as mayor of Providence, hours before the deadline to declare his candidacy.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Lawyers for former Boston mobster James “Whitey” Bulger on Thursday filed a formal appeal of the sweeping 2013 racketeering conviction on charges of committing or ordering 11 murders in the 1970s and 1980s.
The U.S. District Court judge who heard his trial committed a “constitutional error” by refusing Bulger’s request to argue that he had been granted immunity for his crimes by corrupt Justice Department officials, the attorneys said in court papers.
BULGER LAWYERS SAY COURT COMMITTED ‘CONSTITUTIONAL ERROR’ BY BLOCKING HIS IMMUNITY DEFENSE
LAWYERS FOR BOSTON MOBSTER JAMES ‘WHITEY’ BULGER APPEAL 2013 CONVICTION ON CHARGES INCLUDING 11 MURDERS, RACKETEERING
BOSTON (Reuters) – Federal prosecutors and lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev argued on Thursday over how much evidence each side needs to disclose to the other ahead of his trial for the deadly attack.
Tsarnaev is awaiting trial on charges of killing three people and injuring more than 260 in the April 15, 2013, bombing and fatally shooting a police officer three days later. He faces the threat of execution if convicted and prosecutors argued they deserve early notice of what experts the defense plans if there is a sentencing hearing.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Attorneys for U.S. television commentator Glenn Beck on Monday asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit charging their client with defamation for wrongly accusing a victim of the Boston Marathon bombing of being the “money man” behind the attack.
The plaintiff, Saudi Arabian national Abdulrahman Alharbi, 21, had been present at the race’s crowded finish line on April 15, 2013, when two homemade pressure-cooker bombs ripped through the crowd and was injured.