Shop Talk

Retailers, consumers and prices

Layaway goes virtual at Kmart

October 6, 2009

kmartLast holiday season, Kmart touted its layaway program as a way to help cash-strapped shoppers afford their holiday purchases (and ultimately help boost its own sales).

This year, with consumers still reluctant to spend and estimates emerging that overall holiday sales may not rise from last year’s depressed levels, Kmart is extending the program and will launch online layaway on Oct. 9.

Shoppers can browse items on its website, place those items on layaway and then pick up the item at a local Kmart store.

In addition, shoppers who start layaway contracts in stores, can make their layaway payments online — or online layaway users can make their payments at the Kmart store where their layaway order is being held.

Kmart says it is launching the online program after seeing a double-digit increase in layaway customers and sales in 2008.

But don’t fret if you’re more of a Sears shopper than a Kmart shopper (the two retailers fall under the umbrella of Sears Holding Corp, which is controlled by hedge fund manager Edward Lampert).

Sears is also offering online layaway.

(Photo: Reuters)

Comments

thats very awesome

Posted by camille | Report as abusive

On Monday 10/5 I was just remarking to my husband I wish Kmart had online layaway. It’s like reading my mind

Posted by Robbin | Report as abusive

I was hoping this would happen, and it has. Great job!!

Posted by Deanna | Report as abusive

wow.. I was just thinking the other I day I wished I could make payments for layaway online. I live a little over an hour away from Kmart and this will help me out so much!! Thanks!

Posted by monica | Report as abusive

OMG!!!! I am so excited about this…I was hoping someone on hop on the chance to offer online layaway…I was not sure how it would work BUT I’m so glad someone is willing to take a chance on it…I am also THANKFUL that KMART and Sears both offer layaway for those of us that need it…I wish others would of kept thier layaway center’s open..However, they did not and KMART did so now my holiday shopping is done at KMART!!!! THANKS AGAIN FOR TAKING THE CHANCE WITH ONLINE LAYAWAY!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Dawn | Report as abusive

Wow! I was thinking this, it’s great, thanks Kmart.

I REALLY LIKE THS IDEA I WAS JUST WONDERING CAN I DO THAT SO I CHECK ONLINE AND HERE I FIND THE BEST THING ANY DEPT STORE CAN DO. LESS GAS MORE TIME TO SHOP AND LESS WORRIES AND SOMETIMES YOU CAN FIND THING ONLINE THAT IS NOT IN STORES.

Posted by LAKEYSHA | Report as abusive

Posted by LAKEYSHA | Report as abusive

We did this last year at store was great!!! No credit card bills to pay after Jan. 1st. going to be even better this year shop from home.You have my Christmas business Kmart/Sears

Posted by JOHN | Report as abusive

I am SO glad that someone still thinks about layaway besides me. I did this last year and let me tell you it was a blessing. There is so much you can get knocked out before Christmas time. I wish other stores would still have layaway too, but thats there loss and your gain. Thanks again!

THIS IS SO AWESOME! THANKS TO KMART FOR KEEPING THE LAYAWAY PLAN FOR THOSE OF US THAT NEED IT. THAT JUST MAKES THE HOLIDAY SEASON A LITTLE EASIER FOR US. GOD BLESS!

Posted by SHUNDA MCLANE | Report as abusive

It is so refreshing to see a corporation that cares for the people, not just the dollars. With the way things are today especially, many people who had credit cards don’t have them now, and making a web layaway for those of us who have lost our local Kmart stores is wonderful.Kmart I wish you were back in Amherst NY. We miss you.God bless you and yours for making the holidays easier for parents and grandparents and whole lot more fun for the kids!!!

Posted by Jodi | Report as abusive

It does sound great doesn’t it? NOT! Has anyone tried Kmart’s or Sear’s online layaway? Well I have, and to all who are expecting to do your Christmas shopping in your PJ’s and get all those toys and clothes for the kids. Well, I hate to disappoint you, thats not going to happen! They have no toys for online layaway and hardly any clothes. Honestly its hard to find a single item that you can actually put on layaway! It’s ridiculous!!!! Hopefully they will add more items for online layaway and soon because Christmas is in 2 months and the layaway policy is for 8 weeks so what are they waiting for?

Posted by Amy | Report as abusive

Amy,We are continually working to improve the functionality and user experience for Online Layaway. While only select items in select categories are available for Online Layaway currently, all items that are in-stock in-store will be available in the coming weeks. Thanks for your interest!

Hi, Does anyone know the last day in December you have to have your layaway out by for Christmas? Thanks

Posted by Gabby | Report as abusive

I too tried to do some layaway shopping on Kmart and Sears website and was also very disappointed. I could not find 1 not 1 item I could layaway. Was a total waste of my time. As I am currently not able to go out shopping. I was excited. By the time items are posted I’m afraid people will have to pay for the entire purchase anyways. Shame on Sears company for advertising a service that it cannot provide. You’ve lost my confidence and my business.

I am disappointed with Kmart/Sears online layaway too! I could not find any toys whatsoever! Whats the point in this???

Posted by Jody | Report as abusive

This, make layaway payments online!! WHAT A JOKE!! First of all, if you are ever able to log in and make a payment, it will take days, even weeks to show up on your account!! I can’t even get on now to make a payment! Last time I had a layaway, through Sears, my layaway was canceled because my payments weren’t showing up on my account! Sears, here in Eureka, did take care of me and credited back my layaway fees and got my order back together. Now I have a layaway, through Kmart, and I can’t even get past the sign in page to make a payment!! You would have thought that they would have gotten all of the kinks out of their website by now!!

Posted by shenshen | Report as abusive