– George A. Cloutier, a graduate of Harvard Business School, is the founder and CEO of American Management Services, one of the nation’s largest turnaround and management services firms specializing in small and mid-sized companies. He is also the author of the bestselling book “Profits Aren’t Everything, They’re the Only Thing”. The opinions expressed are his own. –
Certainly not the Obama Administration and Congress (both Democrats and Republicans) who have repeatedly failed small business at every opportunity with soaring rhetoric, empty promises, and adopting Lilliputian aid programs.
Most of the twenty-nine million small businesses and their fifty million employees’ won’t be celebrating National Small Business Week because they’re fighting the worst economic crisis in recent history. The twenty-five thousand plus small businesses failing every week, and the owners who have lost their life savings and depleted their 401k’s, will not be celebrating either.
There will be no joy in Mudville for 90 percent of the nation’s small businesses who have received no economic stimulus funding or have been denied credit, additional or otherwise, as well as those who have received no benefit from the stimulus or bailout programs. To be fair, some 60,000 small businesses (that’s .0002 of the total) received loans from the SBA last year, leaving only 28,940,000 who have received nothing but platitudes.
The Administration’s record of failure speaks for itself:
Small businesses received only one percent of the bailout. ($800 million. Wow, when by recent accounts the automotive industry received $100 billion and only employs two million people.)
Guaranteed loans from the SBA have only reached the levels of 2006 in the face of the worst economic crisis for small business since the Depression.
The SBA runs out of loan guarantee authority periodically because of the Administration and Congress’s outright stinginess, while authorizing billions for their big donors on Wall Street and Big Business.
The recent job bill is a joke, as to assisting small businesses. Small business can receive up to $5,000 over a year for hiring an un-necessary new worker at $40,000 annually. Spending $40,000 to receive a meager $5,000 won’t motivate most owners to hire a useless non-productive employee.
The recently passed healthcare bill is loaded with provisions that will cost small businesses tens of thousands of dollars depending on their size. If a small business under twenty-five employees pays for insurance, it will receive back as tax credits one third of the actual cost. Unfortunately, according to the highly-touted Congressional Budget office only 11 percent of all small businesses will qualify for the program. An additional problem is small businesses which do qualify will not actually receive the tax credit until next year, while the remaining 89 percent of this category can go pound sand.
Once again the logic fails us. Why would a cash-strapped employee spend $10,000 to receive only $3,000 next year as a reimbursement a year later?