Reuters Soccer Blog

World Soccer views and news

Vlog on the pitch – What will be the big close season transfers?

May 13, 2008

After Manchester United beat Chelsea to the Premier League title, the Londoners hit back by signing Porto’s Jose Bosingwa in the first big transfer of the close season (although he can’t play in next Wednesday’s Champions League final obviously).

Vlog on the pitch regulars Owen Wyatt and Jon Bramley are joined by Tony Donovan to discuss last weekend’s final day of the English league season and look ahead to what could be the main transfers in the summer window.

Berbatov to United or Chelsea? Anelka on the move again? What about David Villa coming to England?

Let us know your thoughts. Leave comments below or make your own video, load it up to youtube or wherever tagged “vlog on the pitch” and if we like it, we’ll put it up here.

Comments

This is going to be a key transfer window…Let me start by saying that on a European level the only winner is going to be AC.Milan. This team will be the team to beat in the champions league next year. In my honest opinion i can see drogba, ronaldinho, daniel alves and one other major name joining flamini at the club. Their lackluster performance in the champions league was not recieved well and they were clearly outclassed.
That removes a few key names. Within the U.K. arsene wenger has really been forced to make some noise in the market. Keita at sevilla is a match made in heaven for arsenal and i can truly see him moving to north london.
For me the key names are:
1.David Villa
2.Rafael Van der Vaart
3.Karim Benzema
4.Berbatov
Where these four end up is going to be interesting to keep an eye one. I really feel that wenger will make a play for van der vaart with berbatov joining chelsea. Karim benzema will stay put at Lyon, and david villa will be the major aquistion for liverpool. I think Man Utd will be quieter in this market, only picking up a couple of players. (luis fabiano?)
All the top four will be extremely busy this summer, with all of them adding atleast one big name. Wenger will have to make shrewd and careful decisions if he is to stick with pack and finally maybe splash the cash. Ben arfa, keita are for me dead certs.
Portsmouth will be busy signing all the half decent african players around…
However, i have overlooked one of the birhgtest young prospects in the english game…Chris Baird…With fulham demanding atleast 30 million for this mans signature………….(30 mnm’s and a pot noodle

Posted by james | Report as abusive

I think you’ve missed the point a little here. Frankly who cares about close season transfers when there’s a UEFA Cup final, Champions League final, the European Championships AND A UEFA CUP FINAL (sorry have I already mentioned that?) all to come in the next month and a half? I’m happy to comment positively on transfers, but only when they are the story (which right now they’re not, you’re only speculating).

Ps I ate an off haggis this morning on my way down to Manchester, apologies if my comments are a little harsh.

C’mon you Gers!!

Posted by Hamish | Report as abusive

For me as an Arsenal fan, i would like to see perhaps, Huntelaar(Ajax) or Van der Vaart(HSV) join are ranks, in my mind what we need most is to trim the fat of our squad and get the width of old back in the days of pires and ljungberg as well as getting a deadly striker, as well as plugging the gap left by flamini, in a perfect world the likes of Benzema, Ben Arfa(both Lyon),Nasri(Marseille) Keita(Sevilla) or Yaya Toure(Barcelona) look mouthwatering prospects, however I am unsure whether Wenger will break the habit of a lifetime signing more well known players, so i wouldnt be suprised to see Ligue 1 raided again and the likes of long term target Perrin (St Etienne), Gomis(St Etienne), Makoun(Lille) or Gervinho(Le Mans)looking at real estate in the London Area come July.

Posted by Dane | Report as abusive

I also wanted to say i completely disagree with our scottish friend, speculating on next seasons potential signings is the best part of the season! However, being a Rangers fan i suppose you can only get so excited about the prospect of losing your best players and replacing them with the likes of Steven Davis! That being said, its always good to see British teams doing well in Europe, so best of luck, I would also like to add i think the most interesting part of this transfer window will be what the chasing pack of Blackburn, Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Man City, Tottenham, Portsmouth do, mainly if they spend wisely and we see more shrewd purchases such as Santa Cruz and Piennar arriving or whether through a combination of over priced signings and losing their better players; Barry, Berbatov, Arteta, to bigger clubs, make their efforts this season out to be nothing more than false dawns.

Posted by Dane | Report as abusive

I agree with dane here.For a manager like O’Neil at Vlla this summer is crucial. He must invest heavily and wisely otherwise we will see the classic “Domestic Flop” syndromme after a birth in Europe. Bordeaux in France when they made the champions league are a classic example.
European competition puts enormous strain on a club domestically who has not got the numbers to cope with squad rotation. Villa need to invest at least 20 million to have a chance of coping. And i don’t mean the likes of marlon harewood either!!
Villa has a tiny squad as is. However, how does O’Neil go about his business? Does he pursue bigger names, who were previosuly out of bounds?…The premiership within the premiership has a key summer ahead..kewell to villa anyone??

Posted by james | Report as abusive

Arsenal will not spend this summer.Wenger simply will not do it and loosen the purse strings.Ben Arfa and some other french mineons will be pursued. Nasri and Toure if lucky

Posted by chris akabusi | Report as abusive

I think Man United will buy up to 3 players this season. They will have money to spend this summer and will look to strengthen the squad further.

They definitely need a top third striker, with Saha being injured all the time. We can rule out Benzema, at least for this summer. I personally don’t want Berbatov in OT. He’s a great player but he’s a bit older than I’d like as this United squad is being built with the long future in mind. He’s also a bit sulky, so I don’t know how much he will enjoy warming the bench, and at a ridiculous sum of £35m, it’s a no-no. Luis Fabiano seems like a good player, but he’s also a bit old. Though if rumours of his price being £8.6m are true, I think United could still go for it.

So my choice would be Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. He’s a great finisher, great in the air, has European experience, and still young so he can learn to adopt to the United style of play. He will cost a lot less also and might not complain too much coming off the bench until he’s properly settled in.

United should also consider getting a fullback, possibly Philip Lahm or Micah Richards, though I would have liked Dani Alves but he’s appearantly looking for a Barca or Madrid move.

Posted by Dew | Report as abusive

Chelsea will need to replace any top names that leave this summer, if they want to challenge again next year for the Premier League. I believe Drogba & Lampard will go, possibly to where ever Jose Mourinho turns up.

How about David Villa & Kaka as replacements?