Why is Bruce Springsteen playing for Italy? Euro 2008 lookalikes

June 17, 2008

Del Piero?Bruce Springsteen?

Wow, Donald Sutherland seems very upset by that penalty decision!

A lot of people in football look like a lot of other people but more people in Euro 2008 seem to have doubles than in any other tournament.

It’s well known by now of course that Portugal and soon to be Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari is the spitting image of Hollywood actor Gene Hackman.

But has anyone else noticed the incredible similarity between Italian striker Alessandro Del Piero and rock legend Bruce Springsteen. I went to see Springsteen at the Emirates stadium the other week and when he did his knee slides I thought I was watching Del Piero celebrating a goal against Arsenal.

George Clooney has been in goal for Greece here, or rather George Clooney-alike Antonios Nikopolidis while Donald Sutherland has temporarily left his role in the TV series Dirty Sexy Money to coach the Polish team, or was that Leo Beenhakker complaining about Howard Webb’s refereeing decisions?

Fatih Terim, the dashing Turkish coach could, I reckon, walk into Hollywood passing himself off as either Robert de Niro’s older brother, or Joe Pesci’s taller brother. And while we are with the Turks Nihat Kahveci is a dead ringer for Mads Mikkelsen, who played the villain Le Chiffre in the latest 007 movie Casino Royale.

I know they are different people though, because Nihat didn’t cry tears of blood when he scored twice as Turkey beat the Czechs, just tears of joy.

Any others?

PHOTOS: REUTERS/Tony Gentile and Brendan McDermid

Another Turkish player, Semih Senturk looks as same as Bertie of Sesame Street!!!

Posted by simon, london UK | Report as abusive

I’m not sure is it only me but for some reason whenever I see Austria coach Josef Hickersberger on matchdays on the TV, he reminded me of German President Horst Kohler.

Don’t think if Hickersberger takes off his glasses, will he still look like Kohler though.

Posted by diana | Report as abusive

I thought exactly the same for many years particularly with Del Piero with a little longer hair.

Posted by Liz A | Report as abusive

i am also not too sure,but did anybody see the resemblence of jim carrey & portugal player maniche

Posted by Soumya | Report as abusive

As someone who looks disturbing like Bamber Gascoigne I feel it best not to make any suggestions.

Posted by Kevin Fylan | Report as abusive

Czech striker Jan Koller bears a passing resemblance Nicolas Cage. He could fool the Real Madrid president at least (see the Reuters story we did when an Italian impersonator pretending to be the actor got given the VIP treatment at the Bernabeu earlier this season)

Posted by Simon | Report as abusive

You Reuters guys should take a look at yourselves – you’ve got the arch villain from Thunderbirds working in your office.

I also went to see Springsteen at the Emirates!! Three hours of superb, rocking entertainment!!
Anyway, I don’t know who else to suggest right now for look alikes, there are loads, but Kevin is so right! If Bamber was still the host, he could be a stand in for him on University Challange any time! It was cool putting faces to names on that video blog you guys did a couple of weeks ago with your predictions for the tournament! Would anyone care to change theirs at all by the way?
As for Del Piero, when he gets to be 58 years old, I wonder if he’ll have the same energy and stamina like ‘The Boss’ STILL has, and be doing any kind of slide!

Posted by Peanut | Report as abusive

The Michael Ballack/Matt Damon resemblance is strong enough to affect my sense of Ballack’s personality and history. I’ll find myself watching him and thinking, “He was hilarious in Ocean’s 13. I hope he gets his memory back someday.”

Thanks, Peanut. As someone who tipped Romania, I’ll let you know later tonight if I’m changing mind…

Now, starter for 10, no conferring. What happened the last time Germany met Portugal at the European Championship?

Three follow-up questions for five points each if you get it right. (That was the format, right?)

Posted by Kevin Fylan | Report as abusive

Who is the arch-villain from Thunderbirds, Warren?

Posted by Kevin Fylan | Report as abusive

Why did Steve Buscemi just send off Eric Abidal?? I really liked him in the Big Lebowski, why would he go and do that???

Posted by Patrick | Report as abusive

Oh, and Gattuso is definitely the double of Captain Haddock.

Posted by Simon | Report as abusive

They say, everyone of us has a double somewhere! So because of your highly amusing blog Mike, I think a lot more of us will be taking a much closer look at all those faces on the pitch, just to see for fun which ones we can find a match for!
Quite a selection so far, but can anyone find me an Al Pacino?!

Posted by Peanut | Report as abusive

Just the mention of Nihat, that is my ideal captain. Watching him give a talk to Kazim then score two goals thats what i call leading by example. I know am spoiling a good story but what the heck is a football tournament not hollywood

Posted by njau | Report as abusive

Not sure about our beloved Bruce looking like Alessandro, how about a young Eddie Cibrian. Seperated at birth if you ask me!!!!

Posted by Helen | Report as abusive

One person in Euro08 who looks like someone NOT in Euro08 in Miroslav Klose of Germany who I think is Frank Lampard´s twin brother?

For years I’ve been trying to figure out who Mike Collett resembles and think, thanks to this insightful blog, that I’ve finally got it — a cross between Dustin Hoffman and Big Bird.

Posted by Erik Kirschbaum | Report as abusive

Highly amusing. In 1980 I was actually the image of Alan Sunderland and/or Graeme Souness…unfortunately, I couldt play football as well as them !

Posted by Mike Collett | Report as abusive

Bruce is fitter, more gorgeous and has a neater bum than any footballer you could mention. And he works out harder and longer each day than any player. I remember his days of five-hour gigs.
And he’s always done it all drug-free – unlike most top-flight football players…

Posted by D Jenkins | Report as abusive

petr cech is will ferrell in blades of glory

Posted by Karolos | Report as abusive

According to Rex Gowar, Pirlo looks like Alan Rickman in the Harry Potter films. Classic!

Posted by Kevin Fylan | Report as abusive

I was hoping that Warren would come back and tell us which one of the Reuters crew is meant to resemble International Rescue’s nemesis – the Evil Hood!
Any ideas guys?

Posted by Peanut | Report as abusive

I think the Croatian coach looks like Joaquin Phoenix — only hotter!

Posted by Catherine | Report as abusive

Lars Lagerback is Harold Bishop from Neighbours

Posted by Patrick | Report as abusive

He’s not here of course but ex-Spurs boss and now Hamburg Numero Uno Martin Jol looks like Tony Soprano.

Posted by Mike Collett | Report as abusive

Frank Ribery and Freddy Krueger anyone?
http://www.frankribery.azplayers.com/pic tures/frank-ribery-pictures12.jpg

Posted by bonceboy | Report as abusive

Who said there was no Welsh representation at Euro 08?
Semih Semturk is clearly Eggsy from Goldie Lookin’ Chain.

Posted by Ross | Report as abusive

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned this before …. but dont IDENTICAL TWINS Vasili and Aleksei Berezutski of Russia look alike !?? (sorry, couldnt resist it..!)

Posted by Mike Collett | Report as abusive

[...] as Portugal manager, none of this would have come as a surprise. He may resemble the actor Gene Hackman but he is a showman in his own right, a great bear-like figure who needs little invitation to [...]

[...] Reuters colleague Mike Collett told me last year about his experience at a Millwall game, where three generations of the same [...]