‘You call this noise? What is a million vuvuzelas?’

By Reuters Staff
June 13, 2010

SOCCER-WORLD/By Ruona Agbroko

If it hadn’t been for Nigeria’s goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, the 1-0 defeat to Argentina could have been much worse for the African side. That is one reason why the Nigerian supporter contingent, even if outnumbered by the Argentinian fans, remained upbeat throught the match.

The green-white-green stripes of the Nigerian flag were seen on toddlers, their parents and even foreigners at Ellis Park Stadium in central Johannesburg.

Jerseys, vuvuzelas, scarves and human faces were appropriately painted in a large outpouring of patriotism from one of the biggest foreign African communities in Johannesburg.

The Dutch coach has banned vuvuzelas, but Nigerians can’t understand the fuss.

“You call this noise? This is child’s play! What is a million vuvuzelas compared to the generators we hear 24 hours a day back home?” Laurence Okonkwo said, seconds before his trumpet let out a blast in the ears of an Argentinean.

The Argentinean returned the favour.

Nigerian officials joined the crowd too, even walking alongisde other fans in a way they would not dream of at home.

In Nigeria, officials think nothing of arriving late for a game and then interrupting it to make clear to everyone that they matter more than the game.

Nigerians may be learning some lessons off as well as on the pitch in South Africa.

PHOTO: Argentina’s Lionel Messi (L) collides with Nigeria’s goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama during a 2010 World Cup Group B soccer match at Ellis Park stadium in Johannesburg June 12, 2010. REUTERS/Jerry Lampen

ITS QUITE INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT NIGERIAN OFFICIALS SAW IT FIT TO ‘SIMPLY’ WALK IN THE MIST OF OTHER FANS, I BET NIGERIANS THERE THAT DAY HAVE INDEED LEARNT A THING OR TWO ABOUT THIS, BUT I STRONGLY DOUBT IF THESE NIGERIAN OFFICIALS WOULD AS I’M VERY SURE THEY MAY HAVE HAD NO OPTION, IF THEY DID THEY WOULD NEVER HAVE WALKED WITH ‘COMMON’ NIGERIANS ON THE STREET.

Posted by OKEOWO | Report as abusive

Vincent Enyeama won Nigerians heart back at home. Nice opinion piece Ruona, I agree totally with your views. Keep up the good work.

Posted by agbonsbobo | Report as abusive

True, what is vuvuzela noise compared to the din we absorbed everyday in Nigeria.

Posted by otems | Report as abusive

I disagree about Nigerian’s not understanding the fuss. For one of the first times ever watching the Nigerian team in a competition, I could not hear our drums and music that has become an inimitable and essential part of the experience of watching Nigeria play. Win or loss, you can enjoy the rhythmic drumming and trumpeting. I realized later it was actually there but feint in the background compared to the incessant and quite nerve-jangling blasts of the Vuvuzelas. It was faintly annoying but still one must put up with what is a part of the local culture (and I mean local to SA) that is part of this WC.

Posted by Technospeak | Report as abusive

[...] View full post on Reuters Soccer Blog [...]

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Reuters Sport, Ben Klayman. Ben Klayman said: RT @ReutersSport: ‘You call this noise? What is a million vuvuzelas?’ http://bit.ly/alGlgW [...]

The new social network was inaugurated on 11 June , at 11:11 am!

The http://www.seeplayer.com

Its is about SPORTS but, because the worldcup its only about soccer..until July 2010.

Soh its a 100% brazilian company!

Let me know if do you think intersting…

Tkanks a lot!

Rosane Prado

Posted by rosane | Report as abusive

Vuvuzela is puerly made in africa,its not because of world cup that brought about it,it has been with the local soccer leaque for about seven years now.what a noisy way of celebrating Blatter and his team FIFA for introducing vuvuzela to world.

AFRICA VOTE FOR SEPP BLATTER IN THE NEXT FIFA PRESIDENT.
AND SHAME ON ULI HOENESS OF BEYERN MUNICH MANAGER FOR SAYING THAT BLATTER DID THE GREATES MISTAKE TO SUPPORT HOSTING OF FIFA WORLD CUP ON AFRICAN SOIL.For more info on this email me on ifydechu@gmail.com
@Rosane Prado i will check it out.

THIS IS THE GRATEST FIFA WORLD CUP EVER.

Posted by ifydechu | Report as abusive

I just got in to soccer and this is the first World Cup that i’ve really followed. Is it just me or are the vuvuzelas really annoying. I get a headache watching the games i had to mute my TV. But if you a soccer fan and you want some soccer gear my buddy showed me a website where you can get $20 off soccer gear. Just go to http://www.soccer.com/bud

Posted by soccerfan63 | Report as abusive

All the World Cup 2010 Games in South Africa will be streamed live at http://www.WorldCupTV.org 21:47

Glad there are so many ways to get the latest information. But I want ways to NOT get the latest info. I want to record the games during the day and watch them later spoiler-free. Where’s the service that will block today’s WC scores & news so that I can still go online without fear of spoilers? NYT, WSJ and other sign-in news sites should have an option to personalize the site to NOT display WC info….

Posted by Example | Report as abusive

All the World Cup 2010 Games in South Africa will be streamed live at http://www.WorldCupTV.org 21:18

This is a very hilarious post. My first read from Reuters! I like!

Posted by michelle222 | Report as abusive