Inter 4-3 Spurs. The loopiest game I’ve ever seen
I’ve seen quite a lot of soccer in my time but never have I attended a match as crazy as Inter Milan v Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League on Wednesday.
For those who missed it, here’s a very quick rundown of the main incidents.
1. Spurs fans were so happy to be playing at the holders in the famous San Siro on their Champions League debut. They made more noise on the Milan metro going to the game than any other set of fans I can recall.
2. Javier Zanetti, 37, scored his first goal since Feb. 2008 to put Inter 1-0 up inside two minutes. He was stunned to score and forgot how to celebrate.
3. Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes conceded a penalty and was sent off on eight minutes but either refused to go off or didn’t understand. The referee had to show him a second red card after chatting with his goalline assistant. Guess that doesn’t mean he gets banned twice…
4. Inter went 3-0 up in 14 minutes and 4-0 up in 35 minutes with Tottenham’s defence woeful and Samuel Eto’o moving onto six Champions League goals for three matches this term and a whopping 14 in 12 games in all competitions. Wow.
5. Inter’s Dejan Stankovic suffered a calf injury and was so angry he threw his boot towards his own fans.
6. Spurs’ Gareth Bale managed to consistently skin Maicon, probably the best right back in the world, and scored a brilliant second-half hat-trick with two goals coming in injury-time to suddenly scare Inter, who held out.
His market value will have skyrocketed, especially as he has the rare commodity of an “educated” left foot.
6. Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp was his usual chirpy self in the news conference and couldn’t quite understand why he was pleased with a defeat.
I didn’t go to Istanbul for the 2005 European Cup final so I can’t compare (what is it with Rafa Benitez and these sorts of games? He’s supposed to be so precise.)
I think I saw a 5-4 once in the English lower leagues but I can’t remember who was playing so it can’t have been that memorable.
This game I will definitely remember but boy was it difficult to write!