Reuters Soccer Blog

World Soccer views and news

Breaking news: Rooney to stay at Manchester United

October 22, 2010

SOCCER-CHAMPIONS/Well, what an extraordinary twist this is: Wayne Rooney has agreed a new five-year deal with Manchester United and is staying at Old Trafford after all. Here’s the club statement:

Wayne Rooney has agreed a new 5 year contract to stay at Manchester United until at least June 2015.

The agreement follows intensive discussions between the Club and the player’s representatives and means that by the end of his contract Wayne will have been a Manchester United player for 11 years.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: “It’s been a difficult week, but the intensity of the coverage is what we expect at Manchester United.  I said to the boy that the door is always open and I’m delighted Wayne has agreed to stay.

“Sometimes, when you’re in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand.  I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is.

“I’m pleased he has accepted the challenge to guide the younger players and establish himself as one of United’s great players. It shows character and belief in what we stand for.

“I’m sure everyone involved with the Club will now get behind Wayne and show him the support he needs to produce the performances we know he is capable of.”

Wayne Rooney said: “I’m delighted to sign another deal at United.  In the last couple of days, I’ve talked to the Manager and the owners and they’ve convinced me this is where I belong.  I said on Wednesday the Manager’s a genius and it’s his belief and support that have convinced me to stay.

“I’m signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history – which is the reason I joined the Club in the first place.

“I’m sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they’ve read and seen.  But my position was from concern over the future.  The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it’s up to me through my performances to win them over again.”

UPDATE: One interesting thing to note here is that Jose Mourinho was right all along when he predicted Rooney would end up staying. What was it he said? The “big man” will persuade him his future is at Old Trafford?

I guess reports of Ferguson’s diminishing powers were overstated somewhat. He can still be the most persuasive man in football…

More news as we get it

PHOTO: Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney lines up before their Champions League Group C soccer match against Rangers at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England, September 14, 2010. REUTERS/Darren Staples

Comments

what a dope whos 2 say he wont change his mind again get rid

Posted by clairefitz | Report as abusive

Even as a Manchester United supporter…football, bloody hell!

Posted by dy158 | Report as abusive

What a total tube. I’m an ardent supporter but this has slashed me right off. First he says he wants to play for a club that will win trophies – that the end of his England career then, coz lets face it… England…No.
He’ll get booed more at Old Trafford than Neville does at Anfield – the fans won’t forget this.

Posted by T-shirt | Report as abusive

Exactly, dy. Ferguson’s best quote is spot on once again.

Posted by KevFylan | Report as abusive

And claire, I suspect a lot of fans will feel the same … until he starts scoring again. Then, I suspect, this whole episode will soon be forgotten.

Posted by KevFylan | Report as abusive

I’ve added a couple more Rooney qutoes. The tone of them is striking, isn’ it? “Genius… absolute belief… totally committed.” And the last bit of course is very interesting: the recognition that he has to win the fans over once more.

Posted by KevFylan | Report as abusive

Damn. I was hoping that Rooney would disappear up his own backside forever. He has been completely useless in an England shirt for pretty much all of 2010, and is apparently more successful when he takes his shirt off away from his main profession.

I hope that Ferguson rewards his new-found commitment by keeping him on the bench for the next 5 years.

Posted by AndrewM583 | Report as abusive

One point. I remember Kaka holding up the Milan shirt after snubbing Man City but five months later he’d gone to Real….

Posted by MarkMeadows | Report as abusive

‘And the last bit of course is very interesting: the recognition that he has to win the fans over once more.’
You are right, Kevin. The moment he returns back from his injury will be very interesting indeed. He has a hell lot to prove everyone wrong.

Posted by dy158 | Report as abusive

Now lets see how he performs on the pitch, if he was a Jockey, he would have been pulled by the Stewards for being a “Non Trier”.

It was all about MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ibstock | Report as abusive

I cant wait to see his reception from the fans when he gets fit again. Assume it’ll be applause but you never know

Posted by MarkMeadows | Report as abusive

Will he change his mind next week?

Posted by Samco | Report as abusive