Reuters Soccer Blog
World Soccer views and news
Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez’s two-goal and match-winning performance against Stoke City at the weekend for Manchester United could give manager Alex Ferguson the ideal headache.
Two thirds of United fans have yet to make up their mind on whether to forgive and forget the whole Rooney saga, Sky Sports reported from a Manchester Evening News poll, and with Hernandez and Berbatov on song is there an argument that the England man should have to wait to get his place back when his fitness is resolved?
A bit of healthy competition could be exactly what Rooney needs to rediscover his lethal goalscoring touch of last season.
Hernandez has shown that sort of ruthlessness regularly since it was announced in April that he was moving to United for the new season.
Well, what an extraordinary twist this is: Wayne Rooney has agreed a new five-year deal with Manchester United and is staying at Old Trafford after all. Here’s the club statement:
Wayne Rooney has agreed a new 5 year contract to stay at Manchester United until at least June 2015.
The agreement follows intensive discussions between the Club and the player’s representatives and means that by the end of his contract Wayne will have been a Manchester United player for 11 years.
Wayne Rooney’s demand for a move away from Manchester United has stunned manager Alex Ferguson, especially given the striker’s poor form and support the club have given him through personal problems.
After winning three successive Premier League titles with United and the 2008 Champions League, Rooney enjoyed his best personal season with the club in 2009-10 — when his impressive tally of 34 goals in all competitions was only enough to bring the League Cup to Old Trafford.
England striker Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United, manager Alex Ferguson said on Wednesday.
“We are as bemused as anyone can be, we can’t quite understand why he would want to leave,” Ferguson told a news conference.
With their new owners perched in the stands and the shackles of their long-running takeover saga finally cast off, the Merseyside Derby was meant to be the dawn of a new era for Liverpool.
Instead the 2-0 defeat served to highlight the depth of the problems engulfing the club and under-pressure boss Roy Hodgson.
Here we go again. After another legal victory in the High Court for the Liverpool board and main creditor RBS, all eyes turn to Dallas, where a new hearing on the ownership battle is underway.
Wednesday’s original ruling had, it seemed, paved the way for Liverpool to be sold for 300 million pounds ($479.8 million) to New England Sports Ventures (NESV) — owners of the Boston Red Sox — but that was before George Gillett and Tom Hicks obtained a temporary block in a Texas district court.
Updates at 0029 GMT, Thursday after Texas court injunction and Liverpool statement.
Liverpool were given the go-ahead to sell the club when a High Court judge backed the club’s board but another court battle could be on the cards after current co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett obtained an injunction in Texas to block the sale.
Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy opened up a can of worms when he hit out at the tackling of some of his fellow professionals last week.
Murphy described some tackling as “brainless” and suggested managers were sending their players out so pumped-up that they were flying in to reckless tackles.
Liverpool supporters will be glad to be possibly getting rid of their current U.S. owners but probably did not envisage another set of Americans taking over.
The board of have agreed the sale of the club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV), the owners of Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox.
Form is temporary, class is permanent. The phrase is often used for top players experiencing a difficult spell, but does it refer to clubs as well?
Looking back at the European game, it appears the biggest clubs tend to stay at the pinnacle of the sport give or take a few dips.