Think Clijsters is world’s most famous Belgian? Not so fast…
How Clijsters isn’t top is beyond me given her astonishing return to grand slam tennis at the U.S. Open. She’s even been overlooked by the Belgian Tourist Office. Ho hum. Here’s their full list anyway:
2. Adolphe Sax, inventor of the saxophone
3. Herge (Georges Remi) , the creator of TinTin
4. Audrey Hepburn, actress
5. Plastic Bertrand, punk/rock singer of ‘Ca Plane Pour Moi’ fame
6. Peter Paul Rubens, baroque painter
7. Rene Magritte, surrealist painter
8. George Lemaitre, astronomer who invented the Big Bang theory
9. Albert Claude, the first biochemist to isolate a cancer cell
10. Leo Hendrik Baekeland, the inventor of bakelite
To which I can only say, Audrey Hepburn? Who knew?
PHOTO 1: Belgian artistic director Michel Bareau displays the logo of the new Tintin museum, January 14, 2009. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir.
PHOTO 2: Kim Clijsters and her daughter Jada pose with the U.S. Open trophy in New York, September 13, 2009. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque