Left field

The Reuters global sports blog

As Milan go to extremes, what’s your favourite sports song?

September 23, 2009

Italian soccer club AC Milan played the famous music from the Champions League in their dressing room on Sunday to try to motivate the players. The only thing was they weren’t playing in the Champions League — it was a domestic match at home to Bologna.

Milan have stuttered in Italy for a few years now but they won the Champions League, Europe’s top club trophy, in 2007 and had produced a good performance to beat Olympique Marseille in the same competition the previous week.

Club bosses decided that making the players hear the Champions League music even for a domestic game would give them the same battling mentality they show in Europe. They won 1-0.

What other strange motivational tunes are played in dressing rooms across the sporting world?

Unconventional English soccer club Wimbledon, known as the ‘Crazy Gang’, used to play heavy metal before matches in the late 1980s and early 90s.

The English cricket team run out to the hymn Jerusalem when playing at home while when David Lloyd was coach at the end of the last decade, he made the players listen to Winston Churchill speeches to gee them up. It didn’t always work.

NFL’s Cincinnati Bengals often play Guns n Roses’ ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ in the stadium to get the crowd excited.

Of course there are lots of tunes especially used at sports stadiums, like Queen’s ‘We are the Champions’ and Blur’s ‘Song 2′. What’s your favourite?

PHOTO: Clarence Seedorf celebrates after scoring in AC Milan’s 1-0 home win over Bologna in Serie A, Sept. 20 The hosts had listened to the Champions League tune to motivate themselves ahead of the match. REUTERS/Stefano Rellandini

Comments

For me, it’s a tie between Pet Shop Boys’s ‘Go West’ and the piano theme from the Chariots of Fire soundtrack. It’s always sound inspirational, especially if I listen to the latter.

my favorite dressing room song would probably be an oasis track called “Fu**ing in the bushes” it contains lyrics at the start of the song that i feel are really motivating – “Are you going to break our walls down?, are you going to destroy us? Then you go to hell” It’s one of these songs that you have to turn up loud. i know that if i was just about to walk out on to a pitch at five to three on a saturday afternoon it would really get me pumped up for the match. If you’ve not heard it you should look it up.

Posted by Dunoon Blue Boy | Report as abusive

Pep Guardiola always played Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida” on the way to almost every game for his treble winning Barcelona team last season.

Snooker Loopy by Chas and Dave. I’m not a practised snooker player so I need help remembering the potting order of the colours. I go through the order from Snooker Loopy in my head to remind myself.

They split up yesterday so that Dave could spend more time doing up caravans.

Snooker players must play The Entertainer in the hope that they’ll get on the post-tournament TV highlights medley.

Posted by Beth | Report as abusive

loving the oasis shout anyone would struggle not to get pumped up listening to that, also like the coldplay one thats more of an inspirational tune and obviously worked for barca last season! i personally like trance music to get me in the mood, adagio for strings by dj tiesto or almost anything by faithless

Posted by maid | Report as abusive

Nothing works like Eye of the Tiger.

Posted by kev | Report as abusive

At Blackpool FC, they play ‘Glad all over’ by the Dave Clark Five. I’ve no idea why, probably because the only famous singers from Blackpool are the Nolan sisters….

Posted by Mark | Report as abusive

Eminem “Lose Yourself”…If that don’t get you up, nothing will.

Posted by Alfonso | Report as abusive

Wimbledon used to listen to ‘The Boys are back in town’ by Thin Lizzy. When I played rugby we used to pysche up to ‘Walk all over you’ by AC/DC!
‘Eye of the Tiger’ takes some beating. Nessun Dorma anyone?

Posted by Mark Elk | Report as abusive

Just has to be ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’. After thirty years it still makes my hairs stand on end to hear it sung by a full Kop on a European night.
As for music to set the tone of things to come, I remember my first visit to the Stadium of Light and hearing ‘Dance of the Nights’ – that’s pretty atmospheric.
http://sportales.com/soccer/english-prem iership-correct-score-predictions-week-s ix-260909/

I guess for many Liverpool fans it’s Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash now as well, after the 2005 CL final.

Posted by Kevin Fylan | Report as abusive