Left field

The Reuters global sports blog

Is Woods right to return at the Masters?

March 16, 2010

The long wait is nearly over. Tiger Woods, missing from golf since allegations about his private life emerged late last year, will return to the sport at the U.S. Masters tournament in early April and start the long process of rebuilding his reputation.

“The Masters is where I won my first major, and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I’m ready to start my season at Augusta,” he said in a statement.

“The major championships have always been a special focus in my career and, as a professional, I think Augusta is where I need to be, even though it’s been a while since I last played.”

Is it the right decision from Woods? He is bound to be very rusty but the Masters is the Masters after all. In fact, British bookmakers have already installed him as favorite for the first major back and the player himself is on record as saying he never tees off at a tournament unless he believes he has a chance of winning it.

We have a full multimedia package taking an analytical look at today’s news. As well as the video above, you can click here for our full story, here for reaction from the Tour and the players, here for the view from the sponsors and here for a look at why Woods chose Augusta.

And please, give us your views in the comments.

As our golf correspondent Mark Lamport-Stokes says: “While the return of Tiger Woods to the PGA Tour is manna from heaven for sponsors and television executives, an intriguing question mark hovers over his likely reception by the fans. Woods is assured of a warm welcome at his first event back, the April 8-11 U.S. Masters at genteel Augusta National, but beyond that he could spark a mixed reaction following his stunning fall from grace at the end of last year.”

Will you be cheering him on?

Mark Meadows/Kevin Fylan

Comments

Just wondering if anybody cares.

Posted by ChinaExpert | Report as abusive

Great news, I look forward to seeing him play again. He is an amazing professional and athlete.

Posted by zgrt1 | Report as abusive

Golf is such a pathetic sport that it needs a confessed serial adulterer and wanna-be bad boy to generate any interest in what is, arguably, the most boring sport ever created. It is even more yawn-inducing than baseball, and that’s no mean feat.

Posted by Gotthardbahn | Report as abusive

I never hold “professional” athletes to a higher standard, or expect them to be role models. It is nice if it happens, but I wouldn’t tie my brand to this crew of overpaid endorsers.Watching golf for me is like taking a class in salesmanship, you never know what you will get out of it. Golf is not pathetic, the game can be fun, even exilerating. It can be spoiled by a few rotten apples. such is life.

Posted by cquirin | Report as abusive

I think it’s funny how there are comments up here saying how uninteresting Tiger and golf is, yet they found it interesting enough to post comments. I bet they even think that people care about their comments about Tiger…

Posted by rocksells | Report as abusive

Funny, how these early comments are so uniform in their admiration for Tiger as a athlete and professional. What the hell, let’s just make him father of the year while we’re at it. And what’s with Elin — no self-respecting woman would ever consider returning to a man who was a double-figure serial cheater — who didn’t even use a condom. She is no better, in my opinion. It is all about the money. Not golf. The game is sacrosanct. Tiger isn’t. If he cares so much for the game, he should retire from professional golf, go back to school, finish his degree and petition to regain his amateur status. Then return to the game he claims to love so much. Just like his wife.

Posted by Mister_Bosco | Report as abusive

Why this question He should be free to decide
It is quite surprising for a Non American like me to see such a High Moral Ground being taken in an otherwise, rather promiscuous society.
Such a stand is usually taken with celebrities. People first make heroes put them on high pedestals and then go hammer & tongs at them.
Media too is a big culprit in all this they spend days creating new stars and then months stripping them.

Posted by dilkul | Report as abusive