The Reuters global sports blog
I asked Max Mosley at a lunch before the start of the Formula One season whether there was anyone masochistic enough to want to take on his job. He laughed.
“Maybe that’s the qualification, that you’ve got to be into that little world…” the FIA president chuckled.
It had looked definite that he was retiring in October after a deal with teams to avert a breakaway series on Wednesday but he has since said he is annoyed by comments by the teams to the media and suggested that he could rethink his decision to stand down.
If he does leave, one suspects the members of the Paris-based International Automobile Federation are likely to choose somebody rather more straitlaced than Mosley, even if they did give him a resounding vote of confidence after his involvement in a sado-masochistic sex scandal last year.
The disagreement, which centred on Mosley’s plans to introduce a budget cap for the 2010 season, had threatened to end Formula One’s 60-year existence with eight teams including champions Ferrari prepared to walk away for good.
A deal has been reached with Formula One teams to avoid a breakaway series next year, media reported FIA president Max Mosley as saying on Wednesday.
Mosley and eight teams had been at loggerheads over his plans to introduce a budget cap for 2010.
Formula One plunged into its biggest crisis in 60 years on Friday with eight of the 10 teams announcing plans to set up their own championship.
The teams association FOTA said BMW-Sauber, Brawn, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Renault, Toro Rosso and Toyota were united in a decision that would split the sport in two if carried through.
How complicated can an entry list be? Very, if its anything to do with Formula One.
On the piece of paper published by the governing FIA on Friday, there are 13 teams entered with a total of 26 cars. Simple as that.
Ferrari’s threat to pull out of Formula One at the end of the year unless the governing body
backs down on a planned budget cap sets the stage for what will be heated talks at the top of the sport over the coming weeks.
While the step appears dramatic, it is part of a war of wills between International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley and the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) led by Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.
Even in the often bizarre world of Formula One, this week’s points system controversy takes a bit of explaining.
Ultimately, inevitably it all comes down to politics.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) wanted to show the Formula One Teams’ Association (FOTA) who called the shots while the teams were determined to demonstrate their own new-found unity and leadership.
Formula One looks set to ditch controversial plans to award the championship to the driver who wins most races after the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) performed a late U-turn on Friday.
“If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010,” the FIA said in a statement.
How many points will go to the winner of the Australian Formula One Grand Prix?
The season-opening race in Melbourne is less than two weeks away now but we still don’t know the absolute answer to what is after all a fairly straightforward question.
To be sure, we will have to wait until the governing International Automobile Federation’s world motor sport council meets on Tuesday.