Super Tuesday: Dobson delivers blow to McCain candidacy

February 6, 2008

DALLAS – James Dobson, the influential founder of the conservative, evangelical advocacy group Focus on the Family, has delivered a blow to John McCain — by saying he won’t vote for him if he’s the Republican presidential nominee.

rtr1wpgy.jpg“I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes of those who are … I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.

Dobson said he was just expressing his views as a private citizen — but many of his millions of followers in the evangelical community, who listen to his radio show and read his books, will take it as a signal to do the same.

Dobson previously had said he would do the same if former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani became the Republican nominee. There was even talk among conservatives inside Dobson’s inner circle of supporting a third party candidate if Giuliani, who has since dropped out, carried the Republican crown.

Giuliani’s support for abortion and gay rights made him anathema in the eyes of conservative Christians, a key Republican base.

McCain has long opposed abortion rights. But Dobson said McCain’s failure to support a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and his support for embryonic stem-cell research among other things were beyond the Christian conservative pale.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

- Photo credit: Reuters/Jim Young

This may end the Republican’s chances for the Whitehouse. I certainly hope so!“I believe this general election will offer the worst choices for president in my lifetime. I certainly can’t vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama based on their virulently anti-family policy positions. If these are the nominees in November, I simply will not cast a ballot for president for the first time in my life,” he said.

Posted by Dirk Ouellette | Report as abusive

Posted by James | Report as abusive

What an inaccurate headline. When I read that Dobson would not vote for McCain, it solidified my decision to vote for McCain in the Primary. I am not the only person fed up with the Right Wing fanatic behavior of the Christian conservatives. They have come close to destroying the core of the Goldwater conservatives.

Posted by Pat Devine | Report as abusive

Reuters,I pay attention to your headlines because it provides some of the most accurate and comprehensive information…So why would you allow this garbage to be posted for the world to read?To quote the line that prompted this response, “I certainly can’t vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama based on their virulently anti-family policy positions.”Who would seek to undermine our democracy by using the word VIRULENTLY to describe these candidates’ family positions?? The word implies that our presidential candidates would seek to literally poison our families… That is simply inaccurate information and violently opposes their actual intentions regarding family policy.James Dobson has hit my top 5 list of most atrocious anti-democracy individuals.

“James says:February 5th, 2008 at 11:14 pm GMTwhen one religious elitist passes on (jerry farwell) another rises in his place. the esteemed mr dobson claimes to be apalled at the likes if hilary clinton an barrack obama, but leaves the intelligent readers to speculate how he cold possibly have any hope for the family when an obvious self serving political opportunist like george bush is in office as we speak. i’m not even voting for john mccain, even though i am a military member serving my country on active duty, but my hats off to him for the stand he has taken on issues within the republican party. mr dobson–please bow out gracefully and if you don’t want to cast a vote keep it to yourself. no one but your fellow small minded right wing religious bigots will care.”I believe that you used the descriptive word “intelligent” somewhere in this rant… I’m certain you place yoursef in that category. I was planning to list all instances of your blundering grammar and uncountable mis-spellings, but I don’t think there’s enough time…I need to work in the morning! FYI: It’s DR. DOBSON. He’s a child psychologist, and author of many widely-read books.

Posted by Paul | Report as abusive

I am appalled that people who claim to protect freedom of speech are to so prone to attack a citizen simple for expressing a view that does not agree with their political views. Why are you so afraid of a citizen who exercises this right that you claim to defend? Who is the intolerant here?

Posted by Jose Perez | Report as abusive

The only true conservative in this race is Dr. Ron Paul. He is pro-life since he delivered 4,000 babies and introduced a bill to remove supreme court jurisdiction over abortion, which would send the issue back to the several states. He will not spend federal money on stem cell research. He does not support a ban on gay marriage, since the government has no role in marriage – and he is a strict constitutionalist that believes in individual freedom. That includes the freedom to keep the money you earn to support your family, that’s why he’s NEVER voted for a tax increase and will ABOLISH the INCOME TAX.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

[...] all-out assault led by conservative talk radio hosts such as Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham and Rev. James Dobson questioning if McCain is truly a conservative. (Question perhaps for another blog, but is there a [...]

Now now now, when Obama gets on TV and says that George Bush is very efficient but doesn’t have the ability to listen to the ideas of those who don’t agree with him, the democrats amongst us applaud.Dr. Dobson is a good man, his reputation is strong and there is no reason he should have to NOT express his opinion.I suppose everyone wouldn’t be so upset about this if his view supported theirs.I, like many of my fellow “right wing fanatic christian conservatives” as stated above, will be praying for the nominees and will trust that God has a plan.

“FYI: It’s DR. DOBSON. He’s a child psychologist, and author of many widely-read books.”So is Dr. Phil. Doesn’t mean I give any credence whatsoever to his political opinions.Dobson is a psuedo-doctor, who regularly disparages science as liberal fodder and seeks only to advance a ultra right-wing agenda. I believe he is now stewing in his conservative juices because the electorate is beginning to get wise to these types of charlatans, and whatever political power he’s wielded over the last decade is quickly dissipating.Thank God.

Posted by Scott | Report as abusive

[...] Reuters story adds this: Dobson said he was just expressing his views as a private citizen–but many of his [...]

Dobson seems to be forgetting that whoever gets elected to the whitehouse will be appointing federal judges. It is my feeling that if we don’t vote for a Republican, we will get liberal activist judges, and all of the potential that we have for defeating Roe v. Wade and gay marriage will go right out the window. McCain may not be ideal, but at least he has voted pro-life, and seems to have a view life affirming convictions. Dobson will not sway my vote. For the sake of the country, I will choose the lesser of two evils so long as that candidate is not pro-abortion.

Posted by Joyce | Report as abusive

I am a religous conservative that is way to the right of Dr. Dobson. I call myself a fundamentalists, because evangelicals are too liberal. I’m appaled at the reasons Dobson gave for not supporting McCain.McCain has been solid and consistent in the fight to end abortion for decades, as has Dobson. The difference is Dobson wants a constitutional amendment. McCain doesn’t believe in tinkering with the constitution, and that there is a bright line between issues that should be decided at the federal level and those issues that belong at the state level. He belives Roe v. Wade was a bad decision, because the federal courts made a decision on an issue that should have been decided at the state level.McCain believes the way to end abortion is to appoint constructionist judges that will overturn Row v. Wade and trow the issue back to the states. Abortion can then be outlawed at the state level, state by state. Dobson wants a constitutional amendmennt.The same is true with gay marriage. Both McCain and Dobson oppose it. Dobson wants a constitutional amendment, McCain thinks the issue should be handled at the state level.To villify someone that holds the same goals as you, but wants to take a different path to get there is insanity. Especially when you consider the alternative the Democrats would give us on those issues.I was dissapointed Dobson sited campaing finance reform and immigration. He may have said he was speaking on his own, but there is no doubt the people that will heed his words will do so because they see him as a religious leader.I can’t see where the Bible takes a stand on campaign finance reform one way or another. It may be an important convertaive issue, but not an important religious conservative issue. There are no religous conservative grounds for critisizing McCain on this at all.Illegal immigration does have a religious conservative context, but I think Dobson is missing it. Whether we seal the borders or open them up is not a religous issue. What happens to the people does. The Bible commands us to love others. You see this in Huckabee’s position on illegal immigration, where he is opposed to it, but also talks about the need to be concerned with the people affected by it. A position that has caused Huckabee to be strongly critisized by most conservatives, but I have a hard time faulting him on this knowing his position grows out of his religious beliefs.Unlike Huckabee, Dr. Dobson seems to have forgotten that illegal immigrants are also human beings created in the image of God, and that from a religious standpoint you can’t address the illegal immigration issue without also taking into account how you are going to deal with the people involved (illegal immigrants or otherwise.)I don’t agree with McCain on everything (certainly not on campaing finance or immigration), when it comes to the issues that are important to me from a religious standpoint (abortion, gay marriage, school & public prayer/religious expression) McCain has been solid for years.

Posted by Martin | Report as abusive

I have to agree with Dr. Dobson. The problem is the Republican party is in tatters and John McCain is taking advantage of it. The South will only vote for an evangelical and the West will not support the bigotry of the South.I do not see how this rift will heal by fall, which means the Democrats will win. McCain is not getting the support of the conservatives.

Posted by John S. | Report as abusive

When it comes down to it, for conservatives most democrats are worst than most republicans.Really, it was Rudy who was the man that could not hold the republican base. Republicans cannot elect a pro-abortion candidate.When one looks at what McCain disagrees with the republican elite, one finds a compassionate, faithful, and reasoned opinion. McCain is a conservative.It is sad that some republicans want to almost give the nomination to the democrats. Absolutely McCain is GOOD for the party in the long run and the short term.Perhaps Mr. Dobson should be happy with a chance at the white house and an administration which isNOT HOSTILE to conservatives.Consider that as you ponder you vote.

Posted by Timothy | Report as abusive

While it is Mr. Dobson’s right to cast a vote for whomever he wishes — or no one at all if he wishes; he must accept responsibility for the weight he carries in public forum. To make the public statements he has made about not even voting this election year can, and probably will, sway other Christian conservatives to follow suit. This news no doubt has democrats dancing on their chairs and celebrating in the streets, since it has the potential to guarantee a democratic presidency. All they need for a win is for conservative Christians to withdraw from the political arena. There may be better choices than McCain, but he is FAR AND ABOVE a better choice for conservative American families than Clinton or Obama? Mr. Dobson must pull his head out of the sand and face the facts that, at this point in time, ONE OF THE THREE WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY BE OUR PRESIDENT. Yes, stances on political issues may “black and white”, but ALL people (including political candidates) have “gray” areas on the important issues, and people are who we have to vote in and out of the presidential office — not issues.

Posted by A. Fields | Report as abusive

It is truly amazing to me that those on the left claim to be all about individual rights but when a conservative excercises his, they get all upset about it. Give me a break! Dobson has a right to express his views just as every other American does.I will join Dobson in abstaining from voting this election if McCain is the Republican nominee. I had decided this long before I read this article. I never thought I would even consider this possibility. If we are going to have a liberal in the White House, I would prefer it be a Democrat and not a Republican.Any Republican out there who believes that McCain is a conservative is simply ignorant and has ignored McCain’s actions in the past decade.If the country is going to tax the middle class families into poverty in their redistribution of monies, open our borders and offer amnesty to the millions who could care less about our laws or sovereignty and scrap the traditional family values that have made this country strong, then let a Democrat do it and not someone who calls himself a Republican. Perhaps the country will wake up and in four years we can elect a true conservative.

I can’t imagine Jesus Christ ever walking around draped in self-righteousness. Tears must be pouring down His face as he listens to the religious right spew hatred and fear.

Posted by voter | Report as abusive

Dobson and those like him can and will be ignored by the general public. I will vote for McCain and believe that when Democrats take over, the country will go to pot. President Bush took the fight to the devils on their turf rather than American turf. If Democrats had been in power, we probably would have been speaking arabic by now.

Posted by George Reagan | Report as abusive

Please help me to understand how it is possible for individuals such as James Dobson, to do the following, call themeslves patriotic and yet villify a man who has served his country(McCain) protecting the lives of these very folks, call themselves prolife, but do little if anything to protect and contribute to a quality of life for many poor children throughout the U.S.and larger world, and lastly, and most important, call themselves Christians, yet find it so difficult to love others as modeled by The Christ they claim to represent.I have believed for along time that the agenda of the so called pro-lifers has more to do with who is having abortions than the abortion issue itself. Consider this, if the only women having abortions in this country were poor, black, brown, and Hispanic women ,would Jmes Dobson and those of his ilk still be as vehemently opposed to abortion? I think not, given that I do not see any of these children making up the households of these so called pro-life folks,(unlike John McCain whose household does in fact have such a child). The foster care system in this is made up of children who were born to mothers who did choose life for their babies. These children have not made their way into the homes of Dobson and his followers. I think it is fair to ask why not? Something about the talk and the walk that make me suspect of these present day pharisees.

Posted by Jeannette | Report as abusive

To weigh in, I beleive Dr. Dobson has a great voice in the Christian community. His programs are insightful in the issues of marriages and family. However, I believe he is being somewhat irresponsible in his comments here. He has too much influence to intentionally create voter apathy. I disagree with Dr. Dobson as a Christian on putting certain positions that are biblical like gay marriage and right to life over caring for “the least of these” and doing something about health care, quality education and social justice.I hope Christian voters will tune him out on this and vote where their heart and mind tells them.

Posted by r lee | Report as abusive

I believe this really does solidify my position as a McCain supporter. Dobson is over reaching by doing this. As a matter of fact I will make a donation in his honor to JOHN MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by judgejay | Report as abusive

Social conservatives should be uncomfortable with McCain. He is endorsed by a liberal paper, and by a liberal mayor and liberal governor. If you don’t want Romney (who fought to defend traditional marriage and vetoed bills that would have expanded abortion in MA), you get McCain.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

I agree with Dr. Dobson’s response to the possible McCain nomination and it certainly reflects the feelings of many conservative Republicans. If McCain does win the Republican nomination it will signal the death of the Republican Party as we know it. A McCain nomination will guarantee the election of a democrat president in November as many Republican conservatives will choose to sit this election cycle out. Some Republicans may also choose to vote for a true liberal other than the cloaked liberal that McCain has become. There is no way that John McCain will be able to convince the true Republican conservatives that he will be the new standard bearer for the Republican party.If we can put the moral issues aside and focus on McCain’s obstinate I know best stand on illegal immigration and his plan to limit free speech it’s obvious he is the last person that should be leading the Republican Party. John McCain sounds more like the stubborn George Bush that we have known for the past seven years. With these two issues alone it’s apparent that John McCain will never gain the respect of the conservative arm of the Republican Party or the middle class American workers.What troubles me with Dobson’s recent declaration is his poor timing. Why did Dobson wait until Election Day to make his disclosure and not support the one true conservative while he still had a chance?The fact remains that economy continues to be the one major issue that only one of the candidates has the intelligence and experience to repair. The American economy is a massive paper tiger and has been for the last seven years. Two huge treasury givebacks in seven years is proof enough that the American economy is beyond the standard interest rate patch and repair routine.With all the information about all the candidates the American people have had plenty of time to choose the best one. All that being said the American people elect presidents and not the media. If the American people decide to elect McCain or Hillary we deserve what we get no matter how much it hurts.It’s a sad day for America,Dadofu4

Posted by Chris H. | Report as abusive

Posted by Bob | Report as abusive

I am a conservative, evangelical Christian and I support John McCain. Dr. Dobson’s remarks do not change my vote. Although I am a stay-at-home mom and a Republican I think we should be focused on God and His sovereignty rather than focusing on our families. Our families are amazing gifts and our marriages are sacred recreations of the trinity, but I choose to focus on the Godhead.Also, McCain wants to do his best to unify a country that is not strictly Christian while still keeping all life sacred. To me, this is an amazing election year and I will prouldy vote for a man who has given of himself in so many ways — he was tortured for our country and our values — and realizes how important unity is.

Posted by Andrea | Report as abusive

As a Christian, I believe that right-wingers such as Dr. Dobson and the late Rev. Falwell are turning people away from the church. They’re also turning people away from the Republican Party. So what if two people of the same gender want to get married? It doesn’t hurt me or my family. Where is the concern of these moralists for the millions of Americans without health insurance? We Christians should be doing acts of kindness to show God’s love, not alienating people with angry words.

Posted by BT | Report as abusive

Um, I am a Calvinist Reformed Christian and I am voting for Ron Paul. Dobson? He is a blow-hard and does not really know his bible. he knows Freud better.

Posted by chris | Report as abusive

I’m a religous conservative who values Dr. Dobson’s opinions about children.But he and the conservative establishment have gone quite loopy when it comes to McCain.Did George Bush get a constitutional amendment passed? Did Ronald Reagan? Ronald Reagan raised taxes. He also signed off on an amnesty bill.McCain wants to appoint constructionist judges and that is all he can legitimately promise to do.Note to Dr. Dobson, Rush, et al. We are electing a President of a republic, not a king (or queen)who can remake society at their whim like so much putty.

Posted by Paul J. | Report as abusive

Every time religion has been mixed with politics the end result has been persecution and intolerance. From the Inquisition, to Salem and witches burning it has always been the same. Extreme religious right is in no way very different from Islamic fundamentalists. God save us from intolerant narrow minded conservatives such as Dobson intruding in politics. I am a christian and go to church every week. I also respect those who don’t share my beliefs. The religious right only cares about abortion and gays; in fact are obsessed with these issues, instead of following Christ’s example of tolerance, love and acceptance. The religious right is not a christian moevement. They are a threat to democracy, a wolf clothed in sheep’s clothing.

Posted by E Gil | Report as abusive

hahaha, it is actually funny to read some of the responses to the article. I am a Christian as many have commented before me. However, I do not agree with the general sentiment of others. Dr. Dobson has every right to speak his mind. We all do. To call him “narrow minded”, or any conservative Christian “narrow minded” is being narrow minded in and of itself. It is a self defeating argument. Come up with something better folks.

I’m not surprised in the least at Dr. Dobson’s statements and, in fact, love it when he speaks to the media. Certainly he has every right to speak his views (as do I, a social liberal) and in today’s political environment, will only hurt his cause. People are finally starting to wise up to right-wing fundamentalists such as Dobson and hopefully becoming less ignorant as well; give the country 15 more years and we’ll find out that the United States is quite a bit more liberal than we let on. So please, Dr. Dobson, keep talking. It just gives the Democrats a better chance to recapture the White House and put the horrific and destructive presidency of George W. Bush behind us.

Posted by Vance | Report as abusive

How childish of Dobson! We don’t always get the options we want.Dobson has the power to influence the future of the nation for better or worse. If abstaining has the same effect as choosing the worst, then it is morally equivalent to voting for the worse.

Posted by Johnnylaw | Report as abusive

“Dobson has the right to vote or not vote if it violates his conscience. Remember he did not officially announce this … it was taken and run with by the media.I respect Dr. Dobson, he is a fine upstanding Christian gentleman with dignity.”technically it isn’t a policy statement of focus on the family, but it’s posted on the front page of both focus on the family action and focus on the family – so effectively, he did officially announce it

Posted by name | Report as abusive

After hearing what Mr. Dobson posted upon John McCain, here is the email I left at Focus on the Family Contact US:I am a practicing Catholic and very committed to Christian education, family values, good parenting , marriage and an end to abortion in this country. I have taught science in a catholic high school for 7 years. I have always enjoyed listening to the Moody Bible Institute Radio in Chicago especially the Focus on the Family Segments. I am not actively campaigning for John McCain, but I voted for him and support his candidacy for president of the United States.I was surprised and VERY disappointed in James Dobson’s statement about John McCain. I always viewed Dr. Dobson as primarily a man who spread the message of Jesus Christ, occasionally using political means to do so. His recent statement about Senator McCain shows that he places political ideology ahead of religious conviction and commitment to Jesus Christ. If Christ were giving a speech in America today, don’t you think that one of his top priorities would be to end the destruction of human lives and human potential through abortion. Senator McCain will help this country to end abortion. Senator McCain is a man of integrity who doesn’t just talk about Christian principles…he role models them. Adopting a child from a poor country is courageous. Fighting for your country in Vietnam is courageous. Telling the truth is courageous…and Senator McCain tells the truth. Christ asks us to tell the truth…if it’s not realistic for our country to get out of Iraq, I trust that McCain will tell the truth and help us as a nation take the best steps towards peace. If it’s financially irresponsible to cut taxes, McCain will explain this to the people and do what’s best for the long range economic growth of this nation.Sadly, I worry that Dobson’s statement may reflect more of a concern about what will benefit the financial interests of his supporters rather than what Jesus Christ would want for his people. One of the best homilies I ever heard said that “If you vote for what’s best for your personal pocketbook, it is certainly a vote, but it is NOT a Christian vote.” A Christian attempts to vote with the mind and heart of Jesus Christ, who was focused on the poor and outcast of His community.In summary, I am deeply saddened by James Dobson’s statement. I wasn’t at all surprised by Rush Limbaugh’s condemnation of John McCain. Rush Limbaugh is an ideologist with a political and financial agenda. But I considered James Dobson to be a man of faith, so I expected more from him. As a result, I have lost a great deal of respect for your organization Focus on the Family and your founder, Dr. James Dobson. However like you, I will continue to pray and work for the success of families in our great nation.May God continue to bless you and your families.Sincerely,Mrs. Brigid Esposito

Posted by Brigid Esposito | Report as abusive

I agree with Dr. Dobson’s response to the possible McCain nomination and it certainly reflects the feelings of many conservative Republicans. If McCain does win the Republican nomination it will signal the death of the Republican Party as we know it. A McCain nomination will guarantee the election of a democrat president in November as many Republican conservatives will choose to sit this election cycle out. Some Republicans may also choose to vote for a true liberal other than the cloaked liberal that McCain has become. There is no way that John McCain will be able to convince the true Republican conservatives that he will be the new standard bearer for the Republican Party.If we can put the moral issues aside and focus on McCain’s obstinate I know best stand on illegal immigration and his plan to limit free speech it’s obvious he is the last person that should be leading the Republican Party. John McCain sounds like the stubborn George Bush that we have known for the past seven years. With these two issues alone it’s apparent that John McCain will never gain the respect of the conservative arm of the Republican Party or the middle class American workers.What troubles me with Dobson’s recent declaration is his poor timing. Why did Dobson wait until Election Day to make his disclosure and not support the one true conservative while he still had a chance?The fact remains that the economy continues to be the one major issue that only one of the current candidates running for president has the intelligence and experience to repair. The American economy is a massive paper tiger and has been for at least the last seven years. Two huge treasury givebacks in seven years is proof enough that the American economy is beyond the standard interest rate patch and repair routine. Most people are ignorant to the fact that if the markets are down by 60 points today it was considered to be a good day on Wall Street. One of the major reasons why the economy has reached this point is that our business sector no longer invests in tangibles; “that’s me and you producing products to sell”.With all the information about all the candidates the American people should have had plenty of time to choose the best candidate. All that being said the American people elect presidents and not the media. If the American people decide to elect John McCain or Hillary Clinton we deserve what we get no matter how much it hurts. A gem like Mitt Romney only comes around once in a lifetime.Mitt Romney is truly one of the finest and most accomplished Americans I have ever had the opportunity to represent me and our country. Thank you, Mitt! Chris

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Dobson is truly too full of himself, as are Rush and the other kingmakers. A choice for pres is always a choice between the lesser of two evils. McCain wins hands down against any Dem.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

Even tho it doesn’t look good for Mitt, he still says he won’t give up & will stay to the end. I do admire this man. From what I’m hearing McCain & Huckabee have something going together..Huckabee, a cut-throat politician not unlike others, is looking for a seat in the McCain Admin. Also, it’s my understanding that they both hate Mitt. I wonder why??At this point I feel that Hilliary will become President, whether I like it or not. Of course, it could change before it’s all over. I wonder if she’ll want Obama to be her Vice Pres? Anyways, if this happens, both being far left & socialists, the American people will be taxed TO DEATH & the borders will be wide open & we’ll have a disastrous health system as in UK & Canada.. That’s the end of America as we have known it.Like Glenn Beck (conservative & Mormon) stated this morning “people have lost their values.” I don’t understand how those conservatives who’ve been complaining about the border problem, spending, taxes could vote for McCain!!. It’s insane. They will get everything they’ve been complaining about.Yes, people have lost their core value, even those claiming to be Christians. If you go back to the Old Testament, you’ll see that even the religious ones (Pharisees) & those in power joined the Romans (unbelievers) to shut down Christ. They were afraid of Jesus’ power & what they would lose. Nothing is new under the sun.Tho there’s many of us believers with values, I do believe this nation (as a whole) has lost it’s soul. A nation without God is doomed…kicking Jesus out of American life results in costly consequences.. God will not be mocked.Huckabee is duping the religious right & they’re blind to it. He’s stolen Mitt’s edge. Both he & McCain caterer to the left & have cut deeply into the conservative movement. Moreover, G Bush has fostered the failure of the Rep party.Before this is all over, I pray that a miracle will change this present course of direction.

Posted by Peggy | Report as abusive

All of us have missed the major axis of powers in politics for almost 100 years. The real crux of the problem in this country is that our own government doesn’t control its own finances, the Federal Reserve does, which is essentially a private corporation. Now ask yourself this, how can any government function efficiently and effectively without control of its own finances. Is that how you would run your own life, I don’t think most people would want to tolerate that for very long. If the Federal Reserve is not abolished soon, this country will destroy itself in the near future. Well all of that and the world has turned its back on God through Christ.-If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks…will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered…. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -Thomas Jefferson

Posted by Politic | Report as abusive

Oh yeah and I almost forgot, welcome to the 21st century in America unfortunatly for all, the ownershipless society.

Posted by Politic | Report as abusive

Please Mr Dobson…just go away and “focus on your family”. The evangelicals have become power hungry…please just go focus on the family.

Posted by Maggie Jones | Report as abusive

Just because Dobson, Limbaugh, Hannity and others are conservative and don’t want to support the Republican nominee, that doesn’t mean other conservatives won’t support McCain. I am a conservative and I will support McCain as many of my conservative friends will. I admire Dobson but I will still vote for McCain

Posted by J Taylor | Report as abusive

I am a conservative and will support John McCain. I think most conservatives will, too, and I expect Senator McCain to choose a strongly conservative running mate to prove his credentials. Maybe then Dobson will back down. I think Dr. Dobson is just not seeing things properly as is all too common with these big-time, self-aggrandizing religious leaders. I believe most will support him in the end.

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

“I agree with Dr. Dobson’s response to the possible McCain nomination and it certainly reflects the feelings of many conservative Republicans. If McCain does win the Republican nomination it will signal the death of the Republican Party as we know it. A McCain nomination will guarantee the election of a democrat president in November as many Republican conservatives will choose to sit this election cycle out. Some Republicans may also choose to vote for a true liberal other than the cloaked liberal that McCain has become. There is no way that John McCain will be able to convince the true Republican conservatives that he will be the new standard bearer for the Republican Party.”This is so foolish to say this. Nominating Mitt Romney would guarantee a Democratic victory in November because many evangelicals regard him as a heathen. When are these ‘conservative Republicans’ who by no means represent all strong conservatives going to figure out that a flip-flopper like Mitt Romney can’t win??

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

Sounds as though there are many left wing fanatics here. Dr. Dobson holds a great deal of clout and is speaking for a large population. Yes, those “religious bigots” you speak of who no doubt will have a major impact on the electoral college. Also, no doubt you visit the daily cos and media matters web sites. Both bastions of left wing spin and lies. If I’m wrong I appologize!

Posted by James | Report as abusive

Someone is going to lead this country. Might as well be someone who has, for years, thwarted the votes for campaign support bribery that is rampant with our politicians. Nobody has been more outspoken that McCain.

[...] show Focus on the Family, criticized Sen. McCain, and even admitted on his talk show that he would not vote for a president if his choices were between Sen. McCain, Hillary Clinton and Barack [...]

Why is Dr. Dobson so ready to turn the White House over to those who will nominate more “Ginsberg” types to the Supreme Court?His Pro-Life stand should be the BEST, if not the ONLY reason for supporting Senator McCain. I find it incredible that not only himself, but other prominent conservatives are abandoning the pro-life above all else stand because of a few bones to pick with McCain’s voting record.

We don’t want you religious nutcases to vote anyways

Posted by Bob's your uncle | Report as abusive

GOD BLESS JAMES DOBSON! Although I can’t go so far as to say I will not cast a vote, I am in complete agreement.

Posted by Amber | Report as abusive

This is all funny to me, to see how far away politicians and the media are from the majority of the country. When I saw Joe Liberman get passed on by his on party because he was out of touch with it proves what am about to say. Most people in this country are moderate conservatives, independents. The left booted Liberman the media left him for dead, and he ran and won easily, why? the same reason Mccain has a good chance of winning the general election. Because finally us, the majority in the middle have a candidate.

Posted by ed | Report as abusive

How very sad and telling that Dobson and others like him would forgo their civil responsibility to vote rather than see themselves vote for a woman or Black candidate. Regardless of what it is shrouded or cloaked in, the sentiments of the these extremist cannot be overlooked for what they are. As a committed Christian who cares about our country and the many different kinds of people that make us who we are,I find it impossible to identify with the mean spirited agenda of these individuals. Is it at all possible that the same energy could have been directed to eradicate racism, bigotry, poverty, homelessness,and violence in our nation?Are the right wing evangelicals reading of the same Jesus of the Gospels as I do? Where is the concern for the less fortunate and the love that Jesus said would distinguish Christians from everyone else? I am so disheartened that Dobson’s political agenda is clearly more important to him than concern and compassion for people. And no, I am not a bleeding heart liberal, or any of the other labels that these extremists tack onto to anyone who dares to love his neighbor, or envision the possibilities of change. I am, however a person who is intelligent enough to recognize that something about this particular brand of Christianity is not in keeping with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.It is no wonder that we are so ineffective in our witness to the larger world. why would any thinking person wish to be identified with this brand of faith?

Posted by Jeannette | Report as abusive

Why is okay for Oprah, the Kennedy’s and all these other well-known figures voice their choice and why, but it’s not okay for James Dobson? He is a man of God and someone that I trust. I may not always agree with every opinion, but that’s okay. God gave me my own mind and my own ability to decide what choice I need to make. Don’t be so quick to tell James Dobson to keep his opinion to himself – if you do that, then all of these other out-spoken supports should do the same.

Posted by Kimberly | Report as abusive

[...] heading off a Hillary Clinton dictatorship, we would probably be pulling out our remaining hair and making grandiose proclamations about how the Republican party has left behind its core group of voters and for that they must pay, [...]

So what makes Dr. Dobson’s right to an opinion and choice (or in this case, non-choice) of candidate any different than Oprah’s?

Posted by eb knapp | Report as abusive

I just want to say that our nation is not only a nation of conservatives or liberals but a nation composed of people from different backgrounds, cultures, etc.Personally I am a Christian who attend an evangelical church as a preference but it does not means we are to rule our nation because of this. The place we go to worship is just a human expression of our believes but it does not represent exactly the heart of God.In my personal opinion I think politics and religion need to be separated because when religion is mixed up with politics bad things happens. Jesus always crash with the religious-political individuals of his times because this people did loose the real message of the biblical gospel and I think today in 2008 we are living under the same situation. It is very sad to hear from our “Christian leaders” such comments, even do they made them under their personal perspective it is almost impossible to separate the facts they represent an organization which supported from people with different opinions. I do not think this is the way Jesus would act under this circumstances.

Posted by Miami Voter | Report as abusive

Jeannette,I am a Christian too and I am 100% with you. I have the same concerns about the way Christianity is preach from this so called “Christian leaders” of our great nation. I think it is time for people like us to stand in our churches and stop this hidden agendas. As Christians we are not only republicans, there are Christian people who are Democrats and also there are others that are simply “no party affiliate”. Our leaders need to stop doing campaign from the same pulpit the gospel is preach, if they want to do campaign then go behind the politics in the streets but church is mean for everyone as Jesus will say and as he did when he was between us.

Posted by Miami Voter | Report as abusive

Of course Dr. Dobson has as much right to speak his mind as the next person, and the rest of us have the right to pay attention or not. Generally speaking, when he (or anyone else) says so-and-so isn’t a “True Conservative”, it’s essentially meaningless without clearly defining “Conservatism”.It seems that there are any number of definitions, but the “Religious Right” has a rather peculiar one: to be truly Conservative, one must be a “Social” (or “Values”) Conservative. In other words, one must believe that it is the proper duty of government to impose on its citizens “Christian Values”, most commonly “Sanctity of Life” (i.e. that of fetuses) and “Sanctity of Marriage” (i.e. no gays or lesbians need apply) and, in general, a prohibition of anything which is deemed to be in violation of “God’s Plan”, as they see it. For them, this is a sine qua non, and, indeed for some, the only mark of a Conservative.In my opinion, the evangelical “Religious Right” is not Conservative at all, as their vision of America (And Tomorrow, the World!) is that of a Christian Theocracy, in fulfillment of Biblical Prophecy, which has nothing to do with the vision of the Founding Fathers, who, for the first time in history conceived a strictly Secular, Constitutional Republic, designed to protect the natural right of the individual to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and not to shackle them to the whim of tyrants, or the dictates of Bible zealots.

Posted by Cristi | Report as abusive

I consider myself a conservative but unlike Dr. Dobson I can compromise to accept a candidate who shares some of my views rather than allowing the election of someone who supports none.Dr. Dobson is just one example of a “purist” who would rather see someone like Senator Obama elected than compromise.He certainly has a right to his own opinion about a candidate’s qualifications but, in my opinion, his public announcement that he will not vote is clearly a call for his followers to do likewise.Sorry, Dr. Dobson but to me that announcement is totally irresponsible and smacks of demagoguery.

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

Mr. Dobson, I’ve followed your ministry for years respect your work but now, I am sorely disappointed in you.I endorsed and supported Bush twice. Now you claim that Hillary nor Obama, nor does any other Republican candidate truly support family values, so you may not vote at all this go around. Ron Paul is a more than qualified candidate who has articulated detailed sound solutions to challenges facing our nation. You claim to want real change in support of family values and want a strong economy, why do you then discount and ignore a Ron Paul who clearly has THE BEST SOLUTIONS??? Please clear up the confusion??

Posted by KD James | Report as abusive

[...] James Dobson quote is from a Reuters Article: “I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to [...]

These past 8 years of “family focused” christian neo-conservatism have been so great, haven’t they? it’s so sad there’s terms limits. now we actually have to elect a reasonable person (mccain, obama, or clinton) to begin to repair the ridiculous wreckage of bush/cheney. there are no “angels” in evangelical. you nutjob hatemongers have screwed this country and left us with a 100-year war, trillion $ deficit, and a country scorned by the rest of the world. well done.

Posted by tom | Report as abusive

I am a somewhat conservative voter and I will vote for John McCain. James Dobson’s statement about McCain is completely irresponsible and I have a decreased respect for him. Vote McCain in November!!!

Posted by D | Report as abusive

* * * AP Breaking News Alert * * *Evangelical leader James Dobson to endorse Mike Huckabee for GOP presidential nod.James Dobson, one of the nation’s most prominent evangelical Christian leaders, is about to endorse former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee,the Associated Press has learned. Dobson, founder of Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Focus on the Family, talked to the GOP presidential hopeful Thursday and later was to release a statement explaining his choice, said Gary Schneeberger, a spokesman for Dobson.Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, holds perhaps more influence over rank-and-file Christians than any other evangelical leader in the country. He has stated that he won’t support John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson, leaving just Huckabee and Mitt Romney.And now with Mitt Romney dropping out of the race, the decision becomes very clear that Mike Huckabee is the conservative choice.His backing carries enormous weight, because of the number of voters he reaches via his organization, radio show and is symbolic.This represent a major validation of Huckabee’s presidential candidacy.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

Most people say that the two most important issues facing America today are the economy and the war. I fear that, unless we DO elect a candidate who will head us back toward Biblical principles, we will see an ever-worsening economy and even more war. God does not bring judgements, we bring them on ourselves when we disobey His laws. You can`t blame the stop sign if you run it and get broadsided.

Posted by Linda Stell | Report as abusive

Since the Democratic party’s formation, a recurring theme has arisen when vindicating laws in place. For slavery, it was John C. Calhoun (D) who reaffirmed that slaves were not fully human, and therefore were not U.S. citizens, but the property of U.S. citizens. This was clearly seen in Dred Scott vs. Sanford, 1856. The modern Democrat’s justification for abortion is nearly identical, that the child is not human, and thus the property of the mother (solely). That laws like abortion are in place doesn’t mean they should be ignored and that “progression” onto issues such as the economy and health care are of the only pertinent interests. If one believes abortion to be wrong (and I believe abortion is reprehensible), one will keep working towards change. If activists like William Lloyd Garrison did nothing regarding the horrid institution of slavery but said with complacency “it’s just the law, regardless of whether or not it’s moral,” we would have a very different history of America: a nation that practiced slavery for far too long.

In all seriousness, I wonder if James Dobson will support Ron Paul.

Posted by Damian | Report as abusive

“James Dobson, one of the nation’s most prominent evangelical Christian leaders, is about to endorse former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee”.Why am I not surprised that he would support a divisive split in the Republican Party, the only party that comes even close to supporting his views, rather than rally behind McCain?Tell me this Dr Dobson, if the Democrats nominated Satan would you still take the position you do, split the opposition and allow Satan to be elected?I dare say I think you would.

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

From that same article endorsing Huckabee:”Dobson emphasizes that when he endorses candidates, he is doing so as a private citizen and not as a representative of Focus on the Family, a tax-exempt organization he founded. His endorsement of Huckabee was to be e-mailed to 110,000 people through Focus on the Family Action, a separate entity that is allowed to be more politically active, Schneeberger said.”Dr. Dobson is too smart an individual to not know the impact of his endorsement and the fact that it was e-mailed by his support organization belies his disclaimer.Appears duplicitous to me. For those who posted thoughtful comments but whose primary language is not English, that means “talking out of both sides of his mouth.”

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

I’m thrilled with the choices this year. For the first time in my life there will be two good choices for president. I’ll vote democrat as usual, but if libral McCain gets elected…I’ll be ok with that too. The religious right can believe however they want…but I want the same freedom.

Posted by Lori | Report as abusive

As a Christian, I cannot condone the destruction of the unborn out of convenience. I am glad that there are some who are willing to present the “inconvenient truth” that millions of the most innocent have been aborted. I appreciate Dr. Dobson’s willingness to voice these concerns.

Posted by PIRSquared | Report as abusive

I appalled at James Dobson, a Christian and leader of the religious right, who supported the vicious and un-Christian attacks on Hilary Clinton. She, too, is a human being. He and his followers who have supported the demeaning dolls made of Senator Clinton are sexist to women of all ages and all beliefs. It proves gender bias in the evangelic movement and supports the world’s misunderstanding of us. His attach on women is proof positive that there still are two kinds of people in this world: Human beings and women. I am a Christian who believes that God intended for Christians to lead this world, not fall into the immoral behavior of a Hollywood-type response to a woman running for president.

Posted by Darlene Schenck | Report as abusive

It is insane for someone like Dobson or Limbaugh to take such a stance. McCain is the only government employee that is willing to put himself ont heline to do the right thing. Sometimes, voting against One’s party on important issues is the right thing to do. Finance Reform was a MUST as the severe religious right and large corps were buying candidates by paying for their campaigns. Just like Islam is buying Obama’s campaign and Clinton is being paid for by the Dubai groups. McCain is the only candidate to take us through these very troubled times. Both Dobson and Limbaugh are pediphiles and need to targeted by the only real and true conservative of this modern era, Erik Rudolph. Sure he was a “bit off the deep-end”, but a true conservative that was also refused backing by Limbaugh and Dobson.No, I don’t support Rudolph or any murderer, but I do support McCain all the way.

Posted by JLMEAL | Report as abusive

McCain is the ONLY candidate that has been 100% pro life in his votes and his life… So if that’s the case, both pediphile Dobson and drug addict Limbaugh need to get back on track and play like the conservatives they claim to be.

Posted by JLMEAL | Report as abusive

[...] I can elminate this issue. I was reading an article yesterday about Dr. Dobson’s opinion. Dobson’s statement is that he may not vote in the election if there is no pro-family candidate. He is very [...]

[...] political experience. Straight Talk Expressman John McCain tried to curry favor with evangelicals – many of whom detest him – by officially switching religious alliances from the Episcopals to the Baptists. Clearly, the [...]

[...] Will Dobson Keep His Word on McCain ? Two months ago, Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family said he: ” cannot and will not vote for Senator John McCain, as a matter of conscience.” [...]

[...] Lastly, it warms the cockles of my dark heart to see the Republican party crash against the rocks this election cycle. To hear that they are fractured, and to hear the lambasting that Republican pundits are already heaping on McCain gives me great shadenfreude-like pleasure. He’s even managed to get at least one fundamentalist whackjob to crawl out from under his rock to denounce him. [...]