Tales from the Trail

Clinton does comic turn with Leno

April 4, 2008

BURBANK, California – Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton appeared on Thursday on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” where the talk show host reminded the audience that Clinton recently compared herself to fictional boxer Rocky Balboa of the movie “Rocky.”

“Is that a good idea?” Leno said. “Don’t we already have a president like Rocky? I mean, isn’t eight years of a guy who talks like he’s been hit in the head too many times enough?”

Clinton tried herleno.jpg hand at a little comedy as well.

“It is so great to be here. You know, I was worried I wouldn’t make it. I was pinned down by sniper fire,” she said as she sat down.

“In L.A., that might be true,” Leno replied.

Clinton recently described how she and her daughter, Chelsea, ran for cover under hostile fire shortly after their plane landed in Bosnia in 1996 while she was first lady.

Several news outlets disputed the claim. A video of the trip showed Clinton greeted by a young girl in a ceremony on the tarmac and no sign of tension or any danger.

Clinton has since said she made a mistake.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo Credit: Reuters/Frank Polich – Hillary Clinton at an appearance in Hammond, Indiana.

Comments
11 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Bill Clinton treated the presidency like a joke.
Hillary’s health care reform was a joke.
35 years of experience is a joke.
Sniper fire was a joke.
She’s managed her campaign like a joke.

Hillary is a joke.

Posted by John | Report as abusive

A sesns of humor is one of the best indicators of mental health..enjoying jokes told by others, laughing at oneself……

Our only electable, HEALTHY, candidates are therefore, John Mc Cain and Hillary Clinton!

(Obama may break a smile occasionally, but that is the mask he wears! )

Posted by S Mc | Report as abusive

It is very important for Democrats, leaders and voters, to not be divisive and/or promote such tactics in this elections. If anyone doesn’t realize Hillary Clinton AND Barack Obama are very good candidates for presidency, they are fooling themselves. If you are a true Democrat, STOP the divisive non-sense and welcome discussion on candidate positions. Sometimes I think it is already too late….Democrats have divided themselves into two camps and if either of the candidates stands alone in the contest against McCain, McCain will win (current poll numbers are crap) only because of disillusioned Democrats not turing-up to vote. Only chance for a president from Democratic party is joint Clinton/Obama ticket ….and that I don’t see happening. So, better get ready for four more years of another Republican President.

Posted by Wolverine | Report as abusive

What a horrible thing to joke about!! There is nothing funny about 1) Lying about being under a sniper attack 2) Getting caught in your lie and trying to defend yourself by saying you misspoke and had a memory lapse due to stress and 3) getting on national TV and making a joke about your having told the lie.

That was a huge slap in the face to all the service men and women and their families who constantly live in REAL fear of the consequences of fighting the war… The war that she voted for. I can’t believe she said that, how sickening!

Posted by American Military Family | Report as abusive

Like Hillary said, was it the peace or the prosperity people didn’t like about her husband’s term in office? Our opinions are our rights. People with passion and belief are truly amazing. How can we not appreciate what makes us who we are? But I watch people around me struggle with the pressures of today’s society. They are so stressed out and unhappy most people I know are on some kind long term medication just to cope with life. That’s sad… really sad. I just yearn for a time much simplier than it is today. Life was good, really good when Bill was in office. My desire is to recapture what we have lost and have that for everyone. EVERYONE deserves happiness, hope and to be fulfilled!

Posted by Realist | Report as abusive

So, she lies when she thinks it will get my vote, then jokes about it later on TV? Insulting. This makes me really confident about her leadership qualities. Will she lie and say whatever comes into her mind when interacting with other world figures, then get back home and say sorry just kidding? We need to return integrity to government. I used to admire her so much, but she has shown her true colors in this campaign and I am now another white, middle-aged woman for Obama.

Posted by MB | Report as abusive

jay leno should have asked hillary clinton about all her pork spending while she was on his show, she tries to act like shes worried about the economy!

Posted by diane annand | Report as abusive

Chronic lying, and then making light of it is appalling. These are not qualities myself or my children hold in high regard. Hilary Clinton is a joke. Both herself and her husband have shown that they are uncapable of telling the truth, and make no qualms about lying to the american public. Shame on her.

Posted by Ingrid | Report as abusive

Oh, Hillary!
Life-long Democrat here (now 65), and I supported Bill Clinton in both of his election efforts, but your candidacy for President has gotten out of hand. I understand that self-recognition and the ability to laugh at one’s self is a sign of health, but your playfulness around the Bosnia visit is so insensitive, cruel; just no room for bantering in the face of a chapter of the human condition that brought suffering, struggle and death to so many. Please don’t do that again; just no way to cover up a falsehood or exaggeration. That mistake was indeed off the chart, and I fear confirms an emerging family pattern of embodying “…the people of the lie!” Please, please refrain from such…and/or get some help!!

Posted by Ray Banner | Report as abusive

So apparently it’s funny to point out how you lied….”hahaha…that didn’t really happen but I am still a better leader.”

Hillary appears to be an early candidate for alzheimers, not for president. Hillary’s lying ability is sad, especially in the eyes of the American people. I am embarassed for her and my country for her such acts. Children watches the election and gets the idea, that it’s okay too lie, Bill’s wife does it all the time and he did it too. Well, what can I say?

Posted by sEAN | Report as abusive