Obama says he’s impressed Clinton still raising money despite losses

April 15, 2008

WASHINGTON – White House hopeful Barack Obama expressed admiration on Monday for his “formidable” rival Hillary Clinton.

What does he find so formidable about the New York senator and former first lady?

He listed two things: her ability to keep raising money even though he is ahead of her in the delegate count and her determination to “toughen him up” for the fight he will face in November should he become the Democratic nominee to run against Republican John McCain.

“She’s unique,” Obama told a gathering of newspaper publishers and editors.

“There aren’t many figures in American politics who could sustain 11 straight losses and raise $35 million,” he said, referring to the hefty amount of campaign contributions she raked in during February, despite suffering a string of losses to Obama.

The Illinois senator spoke about his opponent in response to a question about whether he was worried that their hard-fought nomination battle would leave the party in a weakened position for the general-election fight against McCain.

Obama said he thought Democrats would come together once a nominee is chosen.

He said that in the interests of party harmony, he was trying to “show restraint” and wanted to avoid attacking Clinton too harshly on the campaign trail.

But he implied she was not reciprocating.

Obama said it was easier for him to show restraint “since I lead in delegates and states and popular vote. Senator Clinton may not feel that she can be afford to be as constrained.”

He then proceeded to pay Clinton another compliment — sort of.

“I’m sure that Senator Clinton feels like she’s doing me a great favor because she’s been deploying most of the arguments that the Republican Party will be using against me in November and so it’s toughening me up,” he said.

Obama was apparently alluding to Clinton’s attacks on him as an “elitist” because of his describing small-town Pennsylvania voters as “bitter” people who “cling to guns or religion.”

McCain also has seized on the comments about small-town voters and accused Obama of holding a condescending view of the middle class.

Basically, Hillary is evil at the core and nothing is going to change that. Barack is naive if he thinks she want do something much worse than she’s already done. It’s not that she’s a fighter. She a fighter with no morals, ethics or understanding of sportsmanship.

Posted by paige | Report as abusive

his arrogance kind of reminds me of george w. bush

Posted by lol | Report as abusive

Senator Obama is wrong. The party will not rally around him just because he is a Democrat. I cannot vote for the empty suit at a time when we need real leadership I like many others would have to vote Republican or for a third party. I support Hillary for her willingness to fight for what she believes in. Obama couldnt take a stand for 20 years in church, for130 “present votes” but the worst thing of all is his disdain for the voters in Florida and Michigan. His lack of leadership on behalf of those fellow citizens is all I need to know about how he would care about us as a President.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

What an arrogant, obnoxious person Barack Obama is………..and so condescening I can’t stand to read anything he says any longer. If his arrogant disrespect for a woman like Hillary Clinton is any indication of the type of person he really is, and I believe that it is, I cannot help but be concerned at the poor leader he will turn out to be. How punk-like he is beginning to appear………

Posted by NYminute52 | Report as abusive

When I saw the picture of Hillary taking a shot of whiskey it was so disgusting. She looked just like one of those late night bar drunks. We are in real trouble if we put another drunk in the White House.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

Elitist!look who is calling the kettle black.Please fill in the blank.

Posted by Autofill | Report as abusive

Gosh. That’s got to be the most diplomatic way imaginable of saying:
1) Clinton is desperate.
2) Clinton is a McCain surrogate.

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

Obama is arrogant and unelectable in a general election. Yes, and he is an Elitist Autofill!

Posted by Autofill | Report as abusive

Very clever. High-lighting his achievements in the form of a compliment to Mrs. Clinton. How is she going to respond?

No matter who wins the nomination this battle has been great lesson in debate.

If you can’t tell Clinton is cut from the same Bush/McCain mold, than you are TOTALLY blind and in denial!!! Use some common sense people!! She’s Bush’s puppet and why would that be???? Because the same ELITISTS, the same IGNORANCE, the same MONEY, wants to rule! Use your BRAIN for God sake! Read and EDUCATE yourself!!

Posted by Schultzy | Report as abusive

Posted by goldenstate | Report as abusive

Oh please, i can’t stand BHO he is the most up himself person i have eva met. Sorry but this guy will destory America if he gets the nom and wins the election. Like he never heard anything bad from Rev Wright in the last 20 years for a load of rubbish. America needs a fighter and that fighter is Hillary, she is proving this to herself and the American people by staying in this fight and still has 100% full tank to keep on fighting, she is still ahead in polls, still raising millions of dollars….if this is not a fight i do not know what one is….she is going to get the nom, not by pledge delegates, but by super delegates, as they will see she is more electiable in major states and she will end up winning the popular vote as well.

Posted by Daniel Wilken | Report as abusive

These comments brought a smile to my face. Damning Hilary with faint praise – that’s the way to do it. And of course he’s right. If Obama had lost 11 straight contests, everybody would be clamoring for him to drop out for the good of the party. But Hillary keeps going. She *is* formidable. But sooner or later the superdelegates will have to lower the boom on her. It’s just a matter of time.

Posted by Mark O | Report as abusive

“elitist”…are you kidding me!?

Hes from a single parent household….worked and went to school like most americans…got in a profession and worked hard for everything he has…sounds more likethe blueprint of the american dream..not some trust fund kid..

Hillary…one word.

BOSNIA!!!!!!

drop out already geesh.

Posted by PaigefromPhilly | Report as abusive

I think the party will rally around him because they’ll recognize that he’s won. Hillary can talk about momentum and electability and whatever else to justify why she’d be a better nominee, but those are not the formulae by which we choose candidates or officeholders. We don’t do it by scenarios, but with votes. It’s democracy, if Hillary can wrap her head around it..

Posted by scott evan | Report as abusive

Obama is wrong. The people will not rally around him just because he is a Democrat.

Forget it Obama! Stop day-dreaming! Stop SPENDING so much money! You are just fighting too hard because you are not qualified or experienced. Quit.

Mccain or Clinton ’08!

Posted by Jkan | Report as abusive

Jim,
Senators Clinton and Obama have been described by many nasty words—but I do believe you are the first to refer to Hillary as a “drunk”. You have carried absurdity to a new level. I consider both good candidates who are fighting hard to win the Democratic nomination. I will vote for the either over John McCain in the general election.

More imaginary conflict. Why doesn’t she just SAY that any little straw to grasp onto would be just fine? Now we are saying that Obama is out of touch with the electorate and is a member of the “elite?” !!! This from two people who are each worth more than $100 million apiece??!!? Puhleeze. It’s just too dirty. If Obama and the will of the people are screwed, I guess I will have to take a look at Nader’s platform.

More imaginary conflict. Why doesn’t she just SAY that any little straw to grasp would be just fine? Now we are saying that Obama is out of touch with the electorate and is a member of the “elite?” !!! This from two people who are each worth more than $100 million??!!? Puhleeze. It’s just too dirty. If Obama and the will of the people are screwed, I guess I will have to take a look at Nader’s platform.

Hello from Pennsylvania. — Barack, overstating the case perhaps, spoke truthfully about the struggles of small town Pennsylvanians.

He may not say what America wants to hear, but he speaks the truth and the reality of the situation.

We’re not bitter. We don’t cling to religion, guns and anti-immigrant ideals because we’re bitter.

We’re saddened that our economy has sold our birthright to outsourcing to foreign countries to enhance profits. A global economy is a wonderful thing. Please, enable us the participate and compete in the global economy.

The “trickle down” economics of the Reagan and Bush (1 & 2) administrations didn’t count on the trickle going outside our borders. We’re bleeding our resources overseas–jobs to India and China, money to the middle East (oil) and China (consumer products).

That works for the bottom line of the corporations in the short term. In the long term, they are leaving a country of unemployed and underemployed Americans–the people who are their primary market. If we can’t afford it, guys, we can’t buy it!

Our “guns” are, in the wisdom of the Founding Fathers, our right as Americans. Those wise men have been right for several hundred years, so I think we should stick with their wisdom.

Religion–yes. We are a religious state, and a religious nation. Almost all of us known as Christians await with open arms and understanding hearts those who are not Christians. We don’t want to shove our beliefs down your throat. But, we think we are lucky to have found a wonderful truth, and hope to have a chance to tell you about it so you can decide for yourself.

Pennsylvania is a state borne out of a history of child coal miners, company stores, steel barons, patriots who fought in the Revolutionary War, rich, poor, black, white, brown. We’ve fought in all our nation’s wars. We’ve built bridges, roads–the nation’s infrastructure.

When America needs a backup, Pennsylvania–the Keystone State–has and will always answer the call.

I tell you where Senator Clinton and McCain get their money.

Why don’t they write articles about something that means something besides this tripe. I am bitter, angry and frustrated.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/select .asp?cycle=2008

My vote is for Obama.

Posted by Deward Bowles | Report as abusive

Basically, Barack Obama is evil at the core and nothing is going to change that. When the press starts covering the truth – you will see that you have been bamboozled. Luckily, we have a better candidate. THAT is why we started donating to her campaign – we did not know she needed funds until her loan. And we need her experience and work ethic and good sense. Badly. They are Both career politicians – nothing more and nothing less.

Posted by Harold | Report as abusive

Clinton is Dynamite fishing….. that’s when you drop dynamite in the water and all the fish come up dead. If she wasn’t hard up, she would not be following this Republican line of attack against Obama. She is using the scorched earth attack. It’s all right when her husband put the average white voter down in his 2001 campaign, but I am sure that she forgot about that. I wish that Obama would give her some of her own medicine. If he refuses to attack her, she just might win. A lot of people owe favors to the Clintons.

Posted by Ron | Report as abusive

I respect all the candidates in this race. The people I despise are those who support one of the Democratic candidates but not the other. Christ, the Republicans managed to rally around McCain; I’m going to blow my brains out if you whiners manage to cost us another election. They have practically identical policies. I can’t even contemplate what kind of total imbecile to vote for a pro-life, pro-NAFTA, pro-war conservative just because “she’s a bitch” or “he’s an elitist!” If that’s how you feel, congratulations, you’ve just contributed to the dumbing down of American politics and the emphasis of a candidate’s image over substantive debate.

Posted by Charlie | Report as abusive

I’ve had enough of the “fighters” and elitest members of the congressional “good ole boys and girls” club. Give me an agent of change, someone who has worked his way to the top, someone who has knows the meaning of the words sacrifice, work and respect. Someone named Barack Obama.

Posted by Jayes | Report as abusive

This latest barrage against Obama — seizing on a characterization of middle America that’s more sympathetic to our concerns than it is insulting — shows Hillary in her true colors: desperate, grasping, and concerned with nothing but her own political power. It’s terribly distressing to imagine the Democratic party could be won over by her — she’ll stop at nothing — but I’m awfully impressed with the way Obama is deflecting her attacks. People, don’t mistake his soft-pedaling defense as arrogance; it’s a rhetorical and tactical stance which demonstrates a remarkable ability to remain calm under fire. Instincts like that just might carry him to the White House; judgment like that might make him a first-rate president.

Posted by John | Report as abusive

Obama is a typical arrogant Harvard grad who thinks he’s better than the American people. Not only does he disrespectfully pity small town folks, but have you read his response to a woman who said “every thinking person in America” was voting for him? He said, “That’s not enough, madame, I need a majority.” He’s infuriatingly pompous.

If I see one more Obama advertising, I am voting for Hillary. Enough already in Penn.

Posted by Ryan | Report as abusive

Dear Hillary siko’s,

can’t u see what Obama’s doing? Its a classic strategic move, smother your opponent with kidness, so they can change their tone. Wow…Hillarys supporters are dumber than Hillary herself. Interestingly, Tonight, several of clinton’s supporters in PA and some journalist are saying, Clinton is over reaching and may of crossed the line. And I agree. I think Hillary is behaving like a crazy, kook, nutty conservative. She behaving like a real wh%*e, as my good friend Randi Rhodes eloquently put it.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

Obama is the product of sheltered, protected life, made easy by his white mother and grandmother, then became a student in the most elitest university. He is out of touch with simple folk, he comes across as one of those know it all students I’ve had in my thirty-five years of teaching. I would have preferred to see Jesse Jackson any time than this guy.

Y’know, this is happening way too often. I read a quote from obama in a story like this, which hacks everything up.
and I am fuming mad.

Then I go read what he actually said word-for-word and I am then relaxed.

I’m perfectly happy reading Obamas words and judging him with out it being pre-chewed. Thank you reuters, you don’t have to cut things up for me. I think most americans are smart enough to understand when another person is speaking

Posted by matt | Report as abusive

“– Hillary has her flaws, but she’s the smartest of the three. I trust her with the economy, health care, and national security.–”

ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL SOMEONE? HER CAMPAIGN IS A ABSOLUTE DISASTER IN ALL AREAS. DON’T YOU KEEP UP WITH THE NEWS? AND, YOU WANT HER TO BE THE COMMANDER AND CHIEF? BILL CLINTON SAID SHE HAD A SENIOR MOMENT WHEN SHE WAS RECALLING BOSNIA EVENT, SHE WAS TIRED AND IT WAS 11:00PM. WHAT ABOUT IF IT WAS 3:00AM?

Posted by Robert | Report as abusive

Annie Oakley has learned how to stay alive by fighting dirty from snake Karl Rove. I sure it comes back to bite her. The good news is that they underestimated OBAMA – he always comes back winning big. He is the best!

Funny how her lies and her secret NAFTA afiliations have become less important as if we are living in the United States of Amnessia. I have no respect for Hillary. The only way she can win a contest is by playing dirty. I will not be surprised if she turns into a Tanya Harding.

Posted by Mariana | Report as abusive

If OBAMA were 1/2 of what the Clintons are… she would have lost already. He has been nothing but a gentleman.

OBAMA has not been attacking her on her BOSNIA lie, her affiliation to advisers and husband who are hoping she wins so they can fill up their pockets with NAFTA, Colombia, Middle East and other outsourcing deals.

OBAMA is a gentelman and will have my vote!

Posted by Mariana | Report as abusive

Regarding Jim’s comment about supporting Hillary because she is willing to fight for what she believes in, I suppose that is true. She believes she deserves the nomination at all costs, so I suppose that explains her vote to support the war, selling out our country rather than risk appearing weak or standing up for what was right. Of course, supporting her fighting spirit also means supporting a person who has now significantly weakened this country and cost the lives of over 4000 Americans to support her ambition.

Hillary, ready to sell out the American public on Day One!

Anything Obama may have done or said pales by far in comparison to this one issue, yet we seriously speak about this “gotcha” as a serious event in electing our leader?

Someone please contrast Hillary’s support of the war and any gaffe Senator Obama may have made and seriously argue that Hillary is qualified for ANY elected office, let alone President.

Posted by PeteGio | Report as abusive

Barack is merely stating the obvious. Clinton lost this battle a long, long time ago, to become the nominee, yet she and her supporters continue to fight this losing battle, attacking the nominee, instead of either taking a cue from Huckabee and remaining in the race while NOT attacking the nominee, or by stepping aside, since she LOST already, and helping to unite the party and rally behind the real nominee. Clinton, however, has chosen to take the low road, attacking Barack with venom and gall, for she truly felt she was a shoo in for nominee, and ultimately, the presidency. The audacity of this “man of color” to come along and steal this God given right from Mrs. Clinton!

The Clintons are so desperate that they will stoop to nothing in lying and deceiving the voters. Hillary tells lies causally. Her husband is no different. If that is not elitist, what is? He tells 7 lies in a 15 word statement, about Hillary’s Bosnia’s trip. What do they think of the voters? Do they think the voters are fool when without thinking they underestimate the intelligence of the hardworking voters in small town America? Are they so out of touch with the conditions of the small man that they think that small town America does not feel? Bill Clinton himself recently stated that the U.S. is in a deplorable state because of high gas, war in Iraq, foreclosure, and recession. Hillary says she needs to clean up. My question is, why does Hillary needs to clean up after Bush if people are not frustrated, bitter and angry? Being bitter, angry and frustrated does not mean they are not optimistic. Small Town Americans are proud. They are optimistic. And yes they are bitter, frustrated but optimistic. One is not exclusive of the other. People are human. They feel. They suffer when they cannot feed their kids, pay their bills, keep their homes, and have a job. They are bitter, frustrated and angry when their pregnant sister dies because she has no insurance. They are bitter, frustrated and angry when presidential campaigns owe them money after they have performed a service. They are bitter, frustrated and angry when political candidates patronize them with lies about Bosnian snipers. They are bitter angry and frustrated when their child in Iraq dies, a victim of a faceless enemies.
Yes, they are bitter angry and frustrated. They have all rights to their humanity. But instead of killing, fighting or doing crime, these hard working people cling to something they are familiar with. They cling to something that will never let them down; their traditions and hometown culture. Like people every where when you are in pain you cling to something. It can be negative things like drugs and crime or it can be positive things like family, religion, faith, church, hunting, and sports. I reiterate it’s optimism and pride that make small town people cling to their hunting instead of killing. It’s optimism pride and faith that makes them cling to their religion instead of delusion. But yes they are bitter, angry and frustrated; let’s not steal their feeling, from them. Clintons get out of your, 109 million bubble and get in touch, get real. As for you McCain, you get angry; bitter and frustrated and negatively attack colleagues and family. Small Town America choose the positive alternative faith, hunting and HOPE.

Posted by pat S austin | Report as abusive

I have voted as a democrat for 35 years, but I cannot, in all good conscience, vote for Obama if he is handed the nomination. I cringe at having to vote for McCain, but it is certainly better than Obama.

Posted by Diane | Report as abusive

MY FELLOW BITTER, STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE.

YOU MIGHT BE AN IDIOT, TOO :-(

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of BITTER!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary’s than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith…

p.s.

If you don’t know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering…

You Might Be An Idiot, Too!

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don’t die from. And I could go on, and on…

Posted by jacksmith | Report as abusive

DON’T BE DUPED !!!

Large numbers of Republicans have been voting for Barack Obama in the DEMOCRATIC primaries, and caucuses from early on. Because they feel he would be a weaker opponent against John McCain. With Hillary Clinton you are almost 100% certain to get quality, affordable universal health care very soon.

But first, all of you have to make certain that Hillary Clinton takes the democratic nomination and then the Whitehouse. NOW! is the time. THIS! is the moment you have all been working, and waiting for. You can do this America. “Carpe diem” (harvest the day).

I think Hillary Clinton see’s a beautiful world of plenty for all. She’s a woman, and a mother. And it’s time America. Do this for your-selves, and your children’s future. You will have to work together on this and be aggressive, relentless, and creative. Americans face an even worse catastrophe ahead than the one you are living through now.

You see, the medical and insurance industry mostly support the republicans with the money they ripped off from you. And they don’t want you to have quality, affordable universal health care. They want to be able to continue to rip you off, and kill you and your children by continuing to deny you life saving medical care that you have already paid for. So they can continue to make more immoral profits for them-selves.

Hillary Clinton has actually won by much larger margins than the vote totals showed. And lost by much smaller vote margins than the vote totals showed. Her delegate count is actually much higher than it shows. And higher than Obama’s. She also leads in the electoral college numbers that you must win to become President in the November national election. HILLARY CLINTON IS ALREADY THE TRUE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE!

As much as 30% of Obama’s primary, and caucus votes are Republicans trying to choose the weakest democratic candidate for McCain to run against. These Republicans have been gaming the caucuses where it is easier to vote cheat. This is why Obama has not been able to win the BIG! states primaries. Even with Republican vote cheating help.

Hillary Clinton has been OUT MANNED! OUT GUNNED! and OUT SPENT! 4 and 5 to 1. Yet Obama has only been able to manage a very tenuous, and questionable tie with Hillary Clinton.

If Obama is the democratic nominee for the national election in November he will be slaughtered. Because the Republican vote cheating help will suddenly evaporate. All of this vote fraud and republican manipulation has made Obama falsely look like a much stronger candidate than he really is. YOUNG PEOPLE. DON’T BE DUPED! Think about it. You have the most to lose.

The democratic party needs to fix this outrage. Everyone needs to throw all your support to Hillary Clinton NOW! So you can end this outrage against YOU the voter, and against democracy.
The democratic party, and the super-delegates have a decision to make. Are the democrats, and the democratic party going to choose the DEMOCRATIC party nominee to fight for the American people. Or are the republicans going to choose the DEMOCRATIC party nominee through vote fraud, and gaming the DEMOCRATIC party primaries, and caucuses.

Fortunately the Clinton’s have been able to hold on against this fraudulent outrage with those repeated dramatic comebacks of Hillary Clinton’s. Only the Clinton’s are that resourceful, and strong. Hillary Clinton is your NOMINEE. They are the best I have ever seen.

“This is not a game” (Hillary Clinton)

Sincerely

jacksmith…

Posted by jacksmith | Report as abusive

Obama ought to praise Hillary … for fighting her way across the Tuzla tarmac, Chelsea and Sinbad in tow, zig-zagging through the shots coming from Serbo-Colombian Muslim Free Trade Elite snipers, firing her Pennsylvania-made semi-automatic deer hunting weapon with one hand and tossing down boilermakers with the other. Oh, yes, she deserves praise. And Obama should praise her as an actress who should be considered for the leading role in a cheesy re-make of Escape From New York….

Posted by mirth | Report as abusive

All of you Hillary haters forget one thing!!!! When bill was President, We as Americans had a pretty good life here in America and he was the only two term Democratic President for a long time. I bet 90% of you Clinton haters are African Americans. What has Obama done for the African Americans in this country lately??? The Clintons have ALLWAYS supported minorities and now you abandon them because there is an African American running for President. SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

This is the most highly contested primary in over 30 years. Do not let your feelings for one or the other (Hillary or Barack) distract any of you of the true task at hand. We have to keep McCain out of the White House.

If either of these two Democratic contenders would have run for office at different times, none of this disparity would be taking place. Those of you who make the statement “it has to be my Democrat or else I’m voting for McCain” are being foolish. Don’t make the same lamebrain mistake you likely made in 2004 by voting Bush in for a second term. McCain will be more of the same and it will bankrupt the US both financially and spiritually.

Posted by Oeno | Report as abusive

I am NOT a Clinton hater. I am, however, a longstanding Clinton disliker/distruster (from ’91 I’m proud to say). Oh, and I am not African American … although I wonder what that has to do with anything.

Posted by mirth | Report as abusive

Yet another evidence that media continues to let Obama get free passes for making condescending and sexist remarks against Clinton. He did not win the required delegates and have yet won over the core base of democrats beyond the ‘race vote (i.e., 80% of blacks). Doesn’t this statement apply to him too — people are amazed that he can raise this much money considering that he is not winning the key states and an anti-american, and condescending towards the working class.

Posted by vote4thebest | Report as abusive

What you do speaks so loudly, I cannot hear a word you are saying.

For Obama, it is all words, inconsistent words (Obama calls them speeches). In this case, Obama has again demonstrated his “elite” personality (I am sure that ALL democratic will vote for me in November). Well, the process is not over and stop whining about those hearts and mind you cannot get to.

For Obama supporters, Obama is running a Karl Rove campaign. That is how two good men, Al Gore and John Kerry, lost to GW Bush. Obama is not attacking Hillary, give me a break.

Posted by Tiffany | Report as abusive

He is sounding more and more arrogant and out of touch the longer this campaign goes on!

He can’t dissociate himself from his serious bitter blunder like he has from his pastor’s comments.

One can already hear the champagne corks popping at the RNC because if he is the nominee- they have him pegged.

Posted by Evelyn | Report as abusive

Looks as if there are a few Hillary fans up late tonight. Shouting at us too, with their use of CAPS. One of them says Obama is pure evil, and another describes those who don’t support Hillary as “Hillary haters.” Mmmm.

One shouts at us, DON’T BE DUPED – and calls Obama’s success against Hillary an outrage. An outrage? My, my.

Another calls us Obama supporters idiots. How charming – and then repeats the idiotic claims that Obama’s campaign is being funded by the insurance industry. It’s not, you know. It’s being funded by millions of ordinary Americans who happen to work in a range of industries – one of them being insurance. (Mark Penn isn’t always right – check it out for yourself if you don’t believe me.) http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/summar y.asp?id=N00009638

So, Hillary fans – glad to see you’re active. But it seems the desperation is starting to show.

Posted by Mark O | Report as abusive

I dont think Obama had many supporters going into the primary season. He played the game by the rules, just as Edwards, in Iowa. He got the momentum he worked hard for, and everyone took a closer look. Unfortunately when Clinton was denied her hoped-for effortless sweep to the nomination on her husband’s coattails, her campaign fell apart. I think that maybe I’m not qualified to judge the nuances of her early campaign so I was swayed by the judgment of Edward Kennedy, who was reported to have been upset with the tone of her campaign. I’m not an idiot who ‘fell’ for Obama, as so many Clinton supporters seem to imply we are. If Kennedy cannot see the problems with Obama as a candidate and if he finds the Clinton campaign tactics repulsive, I’m going to have to weigh that in deciding on my vote.
Like many lifelong Democrats I was concerned about Clinton’s ability to prevail in the general election, because of the same Clinton ‘fatigue’ that sunk Gore in 2000. I was also concerned about her own personal very high negatives. I have seen nothing in this campaign to turn around her image problem to make her a more likeable candidate. In fact, I’ve seen the opposite: voters just do not like who they think she is. Employing a “kitchen sink” political strategy does not endear oneself to the voters. She may have swayed a few voters into her column in Ohio, but she lost national stature. You cannot win the Presidency that way. Is she so out of touch that she didn’t know what the electorate’s reaction to her ‘gutter’ politics would be? .
If she feels it is her obligation to do all in her power to keep the Democrats from a nominee who cannot win, I am truly glad for her sacrifice. Because in order to save us from Obama, she made herself unelectable. The nation needed to see a new improved Hillary, and what they got was some kind of nightmare. My husband said tonight he couldn’t possibly vote for her, as she reminds him too much of Bush. I think it’s interesting that some people think voters should be wary of Obama because the ‘shallow’ attraction of personality is similar to what we got with Bush. Well, that was the only good thing we got with Bush. The part we hated was the part Hillary is channelling now.
Character is one thing and a lot of voters have rejected her for the political style she has embraced. For myself, a big part of my decison is that she managed to squander all her advantages: her name recognition, her political connections, her fundraising machine. I can’t forget that she is fighting for her political life. And it isn’t because Obama plays dirty but noone notices except her campaign and her supporters. Nobody but her is responsible ( well yes I do feel truly sorry for her if her husband has sunk her chances) for the abysmal position in which she now finds herself. And yes, it is abysmal when you start with all the advantages. She shuld have blown Obama out of the race, but she couldn’t manage it. That’s all the superdelegates need to consider: do they want this sort of disastrous campaign in November? If Obmama implodes, she can’t be the nominee. Just being the last man standing isn’t enough. Edwards, please do not endorse. You have earned the nomination as much as she, and you will be eminently electable, while she is not.

Posted by Tina | Report as abusive

I never respond to these running debates because most of the time if you support one candidate, whatever the other does will always be wrong and “evil” What scares me is how all of you come to such dramatic conclusions from a few well chosen sound bites from biased News stations… How can all of you be so polarized… Obama is not an “elitist”, Clinton is not “evil”

All I want is for someone to tell the truth… to be honest.. the one who seems most honest and most willing to talk about the hard topics is Obama… at least to me! :)

No one wants to say they are bitter… but many are!

No one wants to say that are prior racial prejudices shape us… but they do!

No one can be accountable for what crazy things their friends/workers/supporters might say… but show some character. Say they are wrong and don’t throw them under the bus for political expediency

But the most important thing is…I think there is more good characteristics in both candidates than the media wants us to see!

But, that’s just me!

Posted by Bob | Report as abusive

This is characteristic of the “elitist” way OBAMA criticises… by comments that may appear complimentary in nature, but are actually derogatory.

What he’s saying is he can’t believe she’s still raising money, despite the “fact” that he has already ordained himself the nominee. The truth of the matter that he fails to realize is… Hillary has won ALL the big States that count in the general election!

So when you translate this to November, OBAMA cannot win.

Posted by GS | Report as abusive

And some people still think this Obama is not arrogant. Oh my god. I don’t think he knows how not to be condescending. It’s like breathing to him. It’s such a part of him, it’s doesn’t even make him do a second take. I’m impressed that he got this far in the race and so so very bitter about it. I’m a bitter Californian thanks to Obama.

Posted by coolrepublica | Report as abusive

This brought a cynical smile to my face. Obama, the “ethical” politician, can kick a rival below the belt as well as one. Only, he does it in such style. However, there are two questions he should asking himself. Why, despite out-raising and out-spending Hillary two-to-one, is he still not going to be able to get the majority of pledged delegates? Two, why, if Hillary is already a loser, donors are still lining up to fund her campaign? Or, does he have the same condescending attitude towards her donors as he has for Hillary?

Posted by Sarbo | Report as abusive

for the few comment i have read, all of you writes with so much hate and anger and i just wonder if really took time to know obama or just out of “he is black!”

Posted by kiplimo | Report as abusive

Senator Clinton is EVIL???????????? What is wrong with these people?

Posted by Lilia | Report as abusive

Clinton is the better candidate, full stop. Getting the other candidate in will only alienate half the Democrats who do want her. If he had as many supporters as she does, he would never in a million years quit. Why do him and his wife and everyone he knows have to be so militant? They sound so mean. I thought Marxism failed, why is he still banging on about it? Why does he own a million dollar home and still spout Marxist theory? Why are the other potential First Couple worth more financially at the same age than the Clintons were? Why is this happening???

Posted by struck_off | Report as abusive

Obama is not an ‘elitist’, he is a socialist wearing a democrats cap.
Remember kids, Adolf Hitler was a socialist…

Posted by BoB Dole | Report as abusive

This Democratic nomination race has gotten out of hand. Candidates are now saying anything or latching on to anything to win. Obama has been scrutinized by others related to the words he uses since the beginning even though he has typically been very careful in what he has been saying. But Clinton supporters look for anything to start a fight and the media fuels it all because it needs to talk about something more exciting other than Iraq, China and the U.S. economy. Its not the playground setting that these candidates that bother me the most however. Its that people are changing their opinions based on this foolishness. Of course Obama is arrogant, but not as much as Clinton or McCain. Who cares?

Don’t we want a bit of arrogance in our leader? Otherwise no one would take him or here seriously. Look folks, we need to stop allowing ourselves to be herded like sheep. Base your opinion on the issues and how you think this leader can move us forward. Stop listening to the media’s portrayal of whom we should elect.

Posted by chickc | Report as abusive

This article and Obama’s comments about Hillary Clinton is yet ANOTHER example of his ARROGANCE and SUPERIORITY!!! Mr. Obama should know the reason Hillary is raising so much money is because she has millions and millions of people who are passionate about her and believe in her, and trust in her!! We KNOW she is will be the best president this country has ever had!!! We will do anything and everything to support OUR CANDIDATE because we know Obama getting the nomination would be a sure win for McCain in November.

If Mr. Obama cared about the party, he would bow out now and also admit how much he CHEATED in the caucuses by busing in betweeen 800 and 1,000 people from out-of-state to ILLEGALLY CAUCUS in each state, going form precinct to precinct to revote again! THERE IS YOUR REASON WHY HE IS AHEAD IN DELEGATES!!!

HE IS A FRAUD AND A LOSER AND THE SOONER HE’S OUT OF THIS RACE THE BETTER OFF DEMOCRATS WILL BE!!

I AM ONE OF THE 25% OF HILLARY’S SUPPORTERS WHO WILL NEVER, EVER VOTE FOR OBAMA IF HE IS THE NOMINEE!!!

This is a political race. Things will get nasty. People will throw mud. Voter’s will defend their candidate and attack those who are gaining momentum. It has been this way since forever. I don’t nitpick at every word each candidate offers, nor am I swayed by speeches. However I can respect the ideal that in order to gain my confidence and my vote – each candidate must SPEAK to me. This is typically done with WORDS people. And sometimes words offend and sometimes they heal. Senator Obama has managed to remain above the fray; FORTUNATELY he is the stick in the cog of political policy. He is making all candidates scramble to catch up with such a simple philosophy…being “real”, “speaking” and addressing issues as they come along. This is by far the most watchable election. I watch the Clintons bash Senator Obama then copy his campaign, I watch mis-information spread in the news and on the web, I watch lazy people who already have a mindset NOT to vote for Senator Obama willingly believe in every horrible rumor they “heard about”- without researching the source. Is it so terrible to have the Senator as President? Will it be the end of the world to have an articulate, thinking, creative man in the White House? Many of you don’t seem to have an issue with currently having a “not so bright” man in the White House – an inarticulate, renegade who hasn’t helped improve the nation, moreover, has damaged the reputation and split the country close to civil war proportions. I am a Pennsylvania resident and I am indeed “bitter”. When I cast my vote it will be for Senator Barack Obama and I will do so knowing that radio personalities have a job to do and that misery loves company so “riling” and “rallying” the people up is part of that job, I will do so knowing that political “mudslinging” is part of the equation like the bullying on the playground, I will do so knowing that television news has merged with the entertainment industry and I have to study what I see because “news source” is a catchphrase and “reports” are unreliable, I will do so understanding “all that glitters ain’t gold.” When I cast my vote for Senator Obama it is NOT because of his “sound bites.” It IS with the knowledge that there are STILL members of Congress and Senate who filibustered the Civil Rights Act, members who were against women voting, and receiving equal pay. There are people in the White House, Senate and Congress who will protect their interest and money is always interesting to them. I don’t want Bill Clinton or his wife representing my interests – they are to deeply ensconced in traditional ways of operating – I do not want John McCain representing my interests – he is “set in his ways” and his ways are tandem with what is wrong in Washington. It is time to balance Washington with progressive thinking individuals. I will vote for Senator Barack Obama because he represents a fresh approach to stale thinking, actions and policies. For those of you taken aback by MY apparent “foreign” name – know that I am an Army Brat, an American citizen, and a woman born on a military base to a drill sergeant in Frankfurt Kentucky. These are my feelings and unfortunately until Bill Gates patents the prototype for Microsoft Mind Read, the only way to relay them to you is with my WORDS.

Well well well….Seems today it came out during the Rezko trial, a witness has testified that “Obama was indeed at a party where he met Stuart Levine. Duffy, who has been methodically trying to establish instances in which Levine has lied to the government, asked Levine about a party held at Rezko’s house in honor of an Iraqi-British businessman Nadhmi Auchi, who has been convicted of fraud in France — where he is appealing his sentence — and is suspected of doing business with Saddam Hussein when Hussein was ruling Iraq.” Rezko and Wright will be in tow when the Obama Campaign goes on its funeral march….I can hear taps being played now.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted by Diane D., Queens, New York | Report as abusive

Hillary Clinton is acting like a mama’s spoiled little girl who keep whining for that piece of candy her parents refused to give it.

She will never accept this fact that a first runner she was turned out to be beaten by an unknown black man. She will cry for some more.. And more..

Posted by NoWhereNear | Report as abusive

Hillary clinton is a snake and should crawl back in her shell. She’s not use to running with dignified and intellectual people. Therefore she’s doing the only thing she know how !!!!!!!! She’s being the bag lady that she she is….

Mr. Obama said he’s impressed that Clinton still raising money. The last I checked the poll was Obama 49% and Clinton was 44%. Do the calculation Mr. Obama, How many millions this 44% mount too. And how many of us are loyal to her and supporting her.
If you do the calculation, it is by that much you will loose voters in the fall. It is as simple as that.

Posted by Nadia | Report as abusive

So Hillary is accusing Barack of being “elitist”…hmmm

Remember when you were a kid playing in the yard with your friends and then you’d smell something. And you would know exactly who farted because it would be the first person to accuse somebody else.

Posted by “She’s unique” | Report as abusive

Clinton can not manage her own campaign or her people or her husband…She has yet to tell us what she fought for that she WON!!!!She raised $$$ [$130 million] through blackmail-strong arms and sympathy–then blew it and STIFFED THE LITTLE GUYS.
Do not kid yourself–HRC/WJC ARE LOYAL TO NOTHING MORE THAN POWER. She is willfully destroying the DEM PARTY and they [b/h] do not give a sanctimonious damn.
She is all about vacuous soundbites and emotional diatribes with no substance.
Obama stuck it to her good..the clear difference between class and asumptive entitlement…

Posted by Docb | Report as abusive

I don’t know why he is still impressed. Not everyone has jumped on the Hopes and Dreams bandwagon.

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

Obama and Clinton would both make fine presidents.
I won’t even tell you which one I prefer. Whoever eventually wins the nomination, all American citizens who don’t want to see a continuation of the Bush administration’s policies should support the nominee that emerges from the Democratic party convention.

Posted by Pat Ryan | Report as abusive

Of course she is not bitter. They made $109 million.

Posted by Nitin | Report as abusive

Obama is a dangerous man. Hitler, also, was a VERY good speaker in his rise to power, smoothly and eloquently lashing out at all that he opposed. Look what happened there people! While I am not a huge fan of any of the candidates, I think Obama is the most dangerous for our country, and it comes across in the undertones (and sometimes overtones) of every word he speaks! Give me a break…In his effort to compare himself with small town Americans he speaks of his sad small 3 bedroom condo with no garage that cost him 277,000…waaahhhhh. My heart bleeds for him. How many Americans have no home. How many Americans live in Mobile homes. How many Americans would love to have a home but can’t get a loan on one?! He may be very well educated but to be so condecending to all of us “bitter” Americans shows that he is a real ID-I-OT!

I read most of the blogs on this article and others as well and am disapointed by those who claim to be democrats. Then I read a blog on another article and thought about all the people who posted and have lost sight of the issues in this election. This was written by a Pennsylvania resident who has insight and understands the position we are in today. It is really well thought out.
I hope and pray that people understand it…

Penn Resident:

Bitter and Angry in Rural Pennsylvania: Obama’s Reality vs. Hillary’s Fantasy

Sat Apr 12, 2008 at 03:47:47 PM PDT
Maybe there aren’t many Bubbas driving around in pickup trucks with the classic bumper sticker “God, Guns and Guts Made America Free” where Obama’s detractors live, but here in rural Pennsylvania that line may as well replace “e pluribus unum” as the motto on the national currency.

I live in western Pennsylvania, and I can tell you, people here are bitter and angry. Poverty is prevalent. People hunt squirrels and eat them, along with racoon stew. People also hunt deer here, not for sport, but so they can put meat in their freezer so they can feed their families. They cut wood in the forests and heat their homes with wood stoves because they can’t afford to pay the gas bill. I know a guy who goes to old landfills to dig up old milk and beer bottles to sell on eBay. He uses the proceeds to buy clothes for his family at the Salvation Army (and to pay for his dial-up connection).

Racism and prejudice are ever-present here. A friend of mine is part-owner of bar in a small rural town south of where I live. I meet up with him there occasionally and watch as down-and-out people come in with their disability and welfare check money and drink it away. It’s a pretty depressing place, but it does serve as the social center for a town that has seen its few industries shut down and the local people’s jobs eliminated or shipped off elsewhere.

I hear the usual rants there, that it’s all the fault of gays and minorities and immigrants (although those aren’t the terms used, but rather the usual, virulent slurs). A black man walked in the last time I was there, and a guy near me at the bar muttered in a not-so-quiet way, “What’s he think he’s doing in here?” When I brought up the presidential race and Obama with another man at the bar, his response was, “there ain’t no way America is ever going to vote for a black guy.” Later on my bar-owner friend told me about his experience talking about Obama with another woman at the bar, and her angry response was that “it’s because of half-breed n*****s like him that America is in such bad shape today.”

Prejudice, racism and fear do run rampant in areas like this. People are poor. They are in bad health, overweight from a deep-fried diet, and toothless from the lack of dental care. They are unemployed. They are uneducated. They do cling to their hunting rifles and to their religious beliefs. For many, it is about all that they have. The towns around here are full of decaying, boarded up buildings. People live in rundown old trailers with abandoned cars in the front yard. I have seen people using an old car as a stable, with their goat tied to and living in it. I could drive you by a least three old houses that have Conderate flags in the windows.

So go ahead and discount Obama’s talk of how bitter and angry that some of the people of rural Pennsylvania are. Call him elitist for taking the time to pass through areas such as this to listen to what the people have to say, and to then relate what he has heard to people in more prosperous parts of the country when he is asked about it. I have lived in San Francisco, and let me tell you, there is a marked difference between the general attitude there and the attitude here in the “rust belt”. Go ahead and dismiss everything that Obama said as political posturing. Let Hillary and McCain “pick him apart” and parse his words. But please keep in mind that when Obama said:

“it’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

that he is 100% accurate in his assessment.

I know, because I live here, my family and my friends’ families have lived here for generations, and we see it every day, all around this region. There is a very fine line between poverty and prosperity here, where making above $20,000 a year puts you in the realm of the “haves”, but also knowing that you’re one contract termination away from joining the ranks of the “have-nots”.

I come from a family of dairy farmers. I know what it’s like to spend up to 12-16 hours a day sitting on a tractor for three dollars an hour, which I did through high school and every summer until I was fortunate enough to head off to college. Many of my friends were also fortunate and went to school, and then relocated to other parts of the country. Some of us were able to come back under better circumstances, but the large majority of people here are not as fortunate.

Thirty years worth of the right wing dismantling our public education system has taken its toll. Thirty years worth of mismanagement of the economy, of shutting down factories and shipping jobs out of the country, of subsidizing corporate farms and taxing family farms out of business, has taken its toll.

Yes, people are angry, and bitter, but Obama never said that they aren’t resilient, opitmistic or hard-working. Those are Hillary and McCain’s twisted words, and for them to stand up and suggest that rural Pennsylvanians aren’t fed up with the way things are, only reveals how out of touch they really are with at least this part of the country.

Of course, all McCain has to do is suggest to poor rural folk that the party of gun-control, gay marriage, and NAFTA is going to take away what little they have left, and rural conservatives will vote for him, just as they did for Reagan, Bush I and Bush II. As for Hillary, the more she “takes apart” Obama’s message, the more she does the GOP’s work for free. If Hillary can’t see that the people of rural Pennsylvania are bitter, and angry, and mad as hell about the way things are, then she needs to step down from that one hundred million dollar platform of hers and take a real look around.

In western Pennsylvania I hear two things: the “God, Guns and Guts” crowd see John McCain as the heir-apparent to the mantle of rural conservative values; and the people who hope for some kind of change see Barack Obama as the person who understands the situation that we are in, and maybe is the one who can lead us in a new direction. What I don’t hear is anyone talking about whatever and whomever it is that Hillary claims to stand for.

In the end, I think this is all a “lost in translation” much ado about nothing episode.

Going back to Obama’s statement, and keeping in mind that he was speaking to a specific group of supporters in San Francsico, and keeping in mind that he was discussing a variety of “talking points” in the previous paragraph, I think that it is the absence of the word “issue” in this particular portion of his response to one of the attendee’s questions that is lost in translation from the actual event to the transcript spun in the media.

So let’s break it down:

“‘Well, what is this guy going to do for me? What’s the concrete thing?’ What they wanna hear is — so, we’ll give you talking points about what we’re proposing — close tax loopholes, roll back, you know, the tax cuts for the top 1 percent. Obama’s gonna give tax breaks to middle-class folks and we’re gonna provide health care for every American. So we’ll go down a series of talking points.

Obama is offering: – closing tax loopholes – roll back taxes for the top 1 percent – tax breaks to the middle class – health care for every American

But:

“But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there’s not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them.”

“So it’s not surprising then that they get bitter” and “As a way to explain their frustrations…they cling to” issues that focus on: – guns – religion – antipathy to people who aren’t like them – anti-immigrant sentiment – anti-trade sentiment

It’s the usual laundry list of GOP hot-button talking points.

What Obama was doing was contrasting his talking points, with the tradtional GOP talking points that he has to contend with if he is going to break through and reach these tradtional blue-collar voters.

I can’t imagine that anyone who was in the room with Obama misunderstood this. It’s only when the transcript is removed from the context in which the information was delivered that the MSM begins to spin it into something that it’s not.

- Posted by Docb

Posted by Kevin | Report as abusive

Oh no! Obama’s elitist! Wait, why is that a bad thing again? I thought we were supposed to hold our public officials to higher standards. It’s not like he’s going to give the public any more of a cold shoulder than any other President would. If anything he should be applauded for fearlessly making an observation, and not cozily agreeing with every demographic. (really Hillary? You love guns/alchohol/farming now?)

Posted by Gary | Report as abusive

Like another commenter saaid:

Y’know, this is happening way too often. I read a quote from obama in a story like this, which hacks everything up and I am fuming mad, but then I go read what he actually said word-for-word and I am then relaxed.

I’m perfectly happy reading Obamas words and judging him without the unnecessary editing done by reporters. Thank you Reuters, you don’t have to cut things up for me. I think most Americans can read and are smart enough to understand when someone is being misquoted.

Posted by John Paul Telhomme | Report as abusive

This is mainly a response to the post by Docb:

You present great points and ideal understanding so, this is in no way an attempt to discredit that. Even though you compassionately express a reality of the result, you still fail to acknowledge the reason for the result.

Obama could very well be the savior America needs, I haven’t met the guy so I honestly can’t say he isn’t just as I haven’t met Clinton. It really comes down to faith, trust of ones words. None from humanity are perfect, Clinton has lied, Obama has lied..Both are not perfect.

The question you must ask yourself is, who is best able to deal with the reality of the result? Words backed by actions mean something. What has Obama done? What has Clinton done? Who does Obama hang with? Who does Clinton hang with? Words mean nothing unless they are backed by action.

What would America be like if Clinton gets it? The 90′s, we all know that. Even better because you can bet your worthless dollar that everyone will have healthcare. Healthier people become smarter people, this is a theme that has resonated with Clinton ever since her husband became president. How was the economy in the 90′s? Bill knew what he was doing. You think this wouldn’t reflect how America would be if Hillary got the nod?

Being president is a job and honestly if right now I could determine who would be president, it would be Ron Paul of whom the media will keep you oblivious too because he really gets to the reason for the result but, we will deal with that later.

Point I’m trying to make is, we know what Hillary is gonna do, the 90′s + Universal health care. So, ask yourself ‘Is it really that bad?’.

People, news, as in what you get from your TV, is designed. Obama was used to get rid of Hillary, there is a lot of ‘stuff’ about him just waiting in the wings to come out. But first, Hillary must be out of the picture.

Political science people. These things don’t just ‘happen’ in the news they are designed. Hillary is far from perfect but, out of all three she is the best choice hands down.

Why were all media all about Obama? To get rid of Clinton then they can expose all his undertakings in the ‘news’ because you people are ignorant thinking that the ‘TV news’ is really news. Thing is, Hillary is still in it. She is actually HELPING him against the machine by staying in it.

Really, a lot of you need to wake up. The machine wants Clinton out because she will really shake up that which has actually held you down. Obama was used as a pawn to distract but, with Hillary staying in it causes a cease fire from the machine which messes up the design.

You people really need to wake up to political science. Ron Paul was the best choice but you don’t see him on CNN so you don’t know. You want the true list of whos who?

Ron Paul
Hillary Clinton
Barak Obama
John McCain

Wake up people really. Over and out.

Posted by chris | Report as abusive

well,well,well! Isn’t that why it’s called politics.Aristocrats ruling countries.”Pluto’s republic” Only the upper class should rule.It’s like that in almost every part of the world.But there comes a time,once in a century or even in a millennium when one country will break the barrier.Forgetting the class and race,taking one step further to risk it all on an ordinary person.

I like the Clintons,I think they put the people first(which reflects in Bill’s rule) but isn’t it that time,that century,that millennium that we have to break the barrier take a risk on this guy? America withstand 8 yrs. of Bush rule,what could be worst?give this poor guy a chance and see if he can deliver things and if not,4 yrs. would determine.

Isn’t this the democratic party that stand up for the underdogs?or maybe it’s time Democrat changes to a different name…

Posted by william...uk | Report as abusive

You guys need to wake up… Obama is not elitist, he’s just telling you the truth. More to the point, why do you NOT want an elitist in The White House? Have you not seen what having some yahoo hick has done for your country, it’s image across the globe, and for world security as a whole? You need new ideas, someone unafraid to say things which need being said, and someone who is going to search down the back of the couch rather than just sit on it. Obama is that man.

Posted by David Levy | Report as abusive

It disappoints me to see so much dislike and distrust for Barack Obama in some of the comments published here. I am by no means a Clinton hater (although I do find her loose grasp on factual events disturbing). In fact, I find Clinton and Obama to have similar stances on the vast majority of issues. I agree with them on some of these issues (withdrawal from Iraq, universal health care) and disagree with them on others (re-raising the capital gains tax). Ultimately Obama is the more attractive candidate because of his non-policy qualities:

-Intelligence & Political Knowledge — Obama was the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review and was an adjunct professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago. What’s more, he achieved these prestigious positions through his own drive and intelligence, coming from what many would describe as a disadvantaged background.

-Multiculturalism — I hate to make race an issue because I know that Obama himself has been avoiding that. Nonetheless, I think that Obama’s mixed-race heritage and, especially, his multi-national upbringing will go a long way to bringing a more responsible and less xenophobic foreign policy to the executive branch. In addition, I think his election alone would go a long way toward repairing our international image. Also, I should point out that I am not myself an African-American but, as an earlier poster mentioned, it really shouldn’t matter.

-Idealism & Hope — After at least 8 years of being systematically shown how an executive administration can ruin our country and betray the trust of its electorate, we need nothing more than a president who will lift our spirits and make us trust in the power of our government to advance the most basic ideals of our country, liberalism and individualism.

With all that in mind, I think there can be no doubt that Barack Obama is, by far, the best candidate for president.

Posted by Matt | Report as abusive

It was said by a so-called reporter that Senator Obama’s “poor upbringing” prevented him from being an elitist. One can certainly become an elitist via their ultra right wing beliefs and for other reasons. I contend Obama thinks he is above every one that doesn’t meet his criteria for respect, and the same goes for Mrs. Obama.

Just remember this: The working class pays the fright for our pork barrel Congress and the Democrats are noted for pork barrel and increasing your taxes, and they are empowered now via your votes for them. “Use your brain,” as someone posted here in Obama’s defense — yes, use your brain and don’t vote for Democrats.

Posted by Scarlete | Report as abusive

Women of the USA unite! How many times do you want to wring that man’s neck with whom you live? The country needs a woman to nurture it to get it back on its feet. We do not need an arrogant man who believes a woman is only staying in the race to toughen his ability to win the office. I’ve heard lies from each and every politician, and to single out Hillary with a remark about her not being trustworthy is bogus. THINK WOMEN; THINK!!!

Posted by Ava | Report as abusive

Shocking to see how many people still believe the Muslim-racist-Rev. Wright clintonion slurs.. Is there no incentive to learn the truth? This is President of the USA we are about to elect! Can people be so blind that they are willingly ignorant by choice. This is not the coverwagon days- there a millions of resources available- if one is willing to take a look at something other than the clinton screed. Are we willing to let the likes of a proven liar and her impeeched husband put us through the scandals of the 1990′s again or ,as bad, another Bush term? These people still think they can hoodwink the public into believing they are concerned about the country -WHEN IT IS OBVIOUS THAT IT IS ABOUT POWER FOR THEM..YOU CAN NOT MAKE A 100 million dollars without concerted effort and usery. They used NAFTA, CHINA AND THE SAUDI’s —Who is so blind as to not see that the American worker is suffering because we were sold done the river by the CLintons….GET A CLUE- DO YOUR RESEARCH…READ ONE Some thing that might be proof not soundbites and slander…

Posted by Docb | Report as abusive

How old are you people? What is to be gained by calling names? Is that how you talk and act in front of your children? If so, no wonder our country is in the condition it is in today…..The bitter, hateful things that come out of your mouths is disgraceful….

May the best woman ( or man) win and I will vote for and support Hillary Clinton…
God Bless America…..

Posted by shar | Report as abusive

Obama probably said no such thing , it’s the media that have displayed that comment. Obama may be impressed about how strong a person she is to continue to soak up the American people tax dollars for her enjoyment, be careful with inflation at hand. Tacky money management, I would say. Couldn’t get a ‘dime’ from me. I work to hard for my money.

Posted by Nisey01 | Report as abusive

Obama shows here the honor we desperately need to regain in this country. He could be fighting dirty and isn’t – Hillary has so many skeletons in her closet that she doesn’t have a chance against Republicans – in large part because she is so much like them in the way she does politics. Her message that change isn’t possible and so she is the best to play the game as it is depresses me – politics as usual.

Obama offers a new possibility for this country – not only in what we do but how we do it. As a middleclass, small town, middle-aged white woman, he appears to be our only hope in desperate times. May God continue to bless him and this country by electing someone who not only believes in change, but knows from experience how to make it happen.

Posted by Louisa Dyer | Report as abusive