Tales from the Trail

Religion issue hurting Obama with Indiana cafe patrons

April 30, 2008

SHELBYVILLE, Ind. – Barack Obama can talk about his childhood years in Kansas and upbringing by his white Midwestern grandparents, but if voters at one small-town Indiana cafe are any indication, he has a long way to go to convince them he represents heartland America.

“Obama has great ideas but his background scares me,” said Chris Leighton, 60, a secretary having lunch at the Chaperral Cafe in Shelbyville, in southeast Indiana. “Everyone talks about him being a Muslim and having ties to terrorism, but how do people really find out?” img_1530_1.JPG

The incorrect belief that the Illinois senator is a Muslim was shared by half a dozen others in the restaurant — a sign that dirty campaign tactics and Internet innuendo has taken root among some voters in Indiana, the next state to vote.

Construction worker Ron Debaun, 61, said he hadn’t yet decided whether he would support Obama or Hillary Clinton in Indiana’s May 6 primary, noting they both “have good ideas.” But he’s leaning toward Clinton.

What doesn’t he like about Obama?

“His Muslim ties,” said Debaun.

Why does he think Obama is a Muslim?

“Let’s just say that he admits it himself,” he said.

Retired locksmith Leslie Hedman, 61, said he doesn’t like any of the three candidates — Clinton, Obama, or Republican John McCain – because none are committed Christians.

“Obama is a Muslim,” he said. Where did he hear that?

“He said he was but then he said he’s not,” said Hedman.

Ironically enough, many of the lunchtime crowd said they were also turned off by Obama’s ties to Rev. Jeremiah Wright – the former pastor of Obama’s Christian church in Chicago, Trinity United Church of Christ.

“I definitely don’t like Obama because of the mess with him and his pastor. I don’t think he’s been honest about it,” said Candace Demmin, 37, as she had lunch with her mom.

“How can you go to a church for 20 years and not heard your minister say something off-color? Either he’s heard it and is lying about it, or he’s lying about going to church as much as he does,” said Demmin. “In which case he’s not the Christian he says he is.”

Obama strongly denounced his former pastor on Tuesday and called his racially charged comments “appalling.”

“A person who doesn’t believe in anything? I don’t want anything to do with him,” said cafe owner and Clinton supporter Shirley Bailey, 70. “He says he won’t take an oath on the Bible, he won’t salute the American flag. That doesn’t sit well with me.”

Obama was sworn in at the U.S. Senate with his hand on a Bible. He stopped wearing an American flag lapel pin — standard issue for U.S. politicians — saying that a pin on the chest matters less than what’s in the heart.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo credit: Reuters/Andrea Hopkins (Shirley Bailey, owner of the Chaperral Cafe in Shelbyville, Indiana, said she can’t support Barack Obama in Indiana’s May 6 primary because of his religious views. Many of her customers agreed.)

Comments
126 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

I feel so sad that people who consider themselves Christians are so willing to believe the worst about a man they obviously know nothing about. If they were really that concerned about his faith, and about the character of our next president, wouldn’t they take the time to do even the slightest bit of research? This isn’t rocket science.
My Lutheran faith teaches me that you judge a person by their fruit. Obama has spent his entire career trying to help the least of these. That’s his passion in life. It must be really painful. Most people would just walk away from this dark side of human nature that is exhibiting itself in our small towns. So much for Norman Rockwell.

Posted by Merri | Report as abusive

Now that Barack has repudiated him, should we start digging up negative stories about Wright on digg.com?

Posted by Chill | Report as abusive

You cannot take 20 years and a presidential campaign to suddenly realize your pastor is a wingnut.

It’s obvious Obama is throwing him under the bus now to look good.

Thank goodness the good people of Indiana see this.
I am sick of Obama and his fake “change”.

GO HOME OBAMA! WE SEE THRU YOU!!!!

Posted by Michelle | Report as abusive

Can anybody say racists?

Posted by Janice | Report as abusive

What a joke! I do not know you can do anything about these people. They are dragging down this country to the lowest level possible. Truely sad.

Posted by Danny | Report as abusive

Posted by Hoosiers are dumb | Report as abusive

In Pennsylvania we know that Obama is a fraud. He was arrogant and cocky when asked issue questions rather than give an answer. Hillary did the opposite –she actually campaigned for her votes, earned them. Obama took his fame for granted, but it backfired. Hope you voters see through him as well. Send Hillary to Washington and get our nation back on track.

Posted by victoria schmitt | Report as abusive

These comments are representative of the intellectual laziness of Americans and the disgusting way they applaud themselves for being uninformed. These people at that cafe should be ashamed that they refuse to read the paper, to find out the FACTS, and instead judge a candidate without having the facts. Getting educated on Obama’s beliefs would require some effort, so instead they get a few emails that justify their racial biases (“Oh Barack is a Muslim, don’t cha know??” And then they boast about their ignorance. It’s truly sad. It would have been helpful for a reporter to correct them, (e.g. “Actually, he is a Christian and he was sworn in with his hand on the Bible”) but then they are so stupid, they would probably argue with the reporter. We deserve the President we get.

Posted by Elizabeth | Report as abusive

I’m offended by this article, it makes all people from Indiana look like bumbling idiots.

Posted by Austin | Report as abusive

This pretty much sums it up. As a kid from a small town in Texas, I never thought that I could grow up to be an elitist. I am started to realize that the majority of “normal” Americans are incredibly misinformed and quite frankly ignorant. Part of me hopes that McCain wins so he can take these peoples employer sponsored insurance away. Maybe then they will start actually paying attention.

This wide spread ignorance is what is most destructive to America. This is an embarrassment to this country.What a shame.

Posted by chris | Report as abusive

Obama is not electable. I have a few questions for the Obama-bots and Clinton-bashers: 1. Name the most significant thing that Obama has actually accomplished besides giving speeches. 2. How much jello must Obama have in his spine to sit for 15 years in the pews of a maniac like Wright who believes that AIDS was a US govt. plot, that Farrakhan is a great hero, etc, etc? 3. Why did Obama vote “present” on each controversial issue? 4. What is the most difficult situation that Obama has ever faced in his adult life before the presidential campaign? 5. Name one major state Obama has won besides his home state.

Hillary is an absolutely remarkable woman, in my opinion, though she is not perfect. Obama is a perfect piece of plastic with no content. Americans will be able to see the difference by November. (The polls already show Hillary ahead of McCain 9 points, but Obama even.) Americans previously elected “nice clean guy” Bush (with no content of character), and look what happened.

McCain has a very strong character, and there is no way that Obama could stand up to him.

Posted by Art | Report as abusive

How can someone be a muslim and athiest and a Christian at the same time? You call this news it racism of the day. it’s hatefull insanity and Why America is such a mess.

Posted by Kate Cooper | Report as abusive

Oh my god. How can people be this ignorant. What they will never believe is that there are good people with good values who practice many faiths or no faith at all. People can be good for the sake of being good without a church managing there life and the way they think.

Posted by D. Woods | Report as abusive

Wow, this story saddens me.

I didn’t raise my right hand and swear or affirm to defend the Constitution against foreign and domestic enemies only for fellow African Americans when I served active Army during the 90s. I’m sure you would agree that it would have been really easy for me to devolve into something like that, based on an incident involving 2 White men throwing trash and yelling “nigger” at me from their car when I was first stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

I rose above that incident, acknowledging that not ALL White people are that ignorant. People who hide behind incorrect information (read: prejudice) and “Internet innuendo” disappoint me, and don’t show what Americans are truly capable of achieving.

I’m truly saddened by this article.

Thank you.

Posted by Chuck | Report as abusive

If this is a true depiction of the average voter in Indiana, We’re Doomed!

Posted by PC | Report as abusive

what is wrong with small town people. The ones that vote for Hiliary are so far removed from everything. they will cling to tabloid reports as gospel because it feeds their fear of moving into a differ era. Obama is not a muslim, he never said he was!!! and as a previous reader suggested, it is easy for people to sit back and judge him, when they are not accountable to anyone for their associates. what would you do if you were in his shoes? Are the hypocrites saying that do not associate with anyone whose views differ from their own? are they saying they do not have friends or family that have said something they may not be politcally correct? yes it is easy to not be in the spotlight and rain down judgement on someone esle. he has handled himself very well especially campaigning against three front, the Clintons, the media, and the GOP. Can you honestly say the other two candidates could stand up to the pressure and scrunity he is under and still be ahead? I seriously doubt it.

Posted by Lacy | Report as abusive

Obama is full of it. He’s a smooth talker, pure and simple. Worse, though, is that he’d rally screw up the American system that has made us the greatest, strongest country in the world.

Posted by CXZ | Report as abusive

It’s your responsibility as a journalist to correct those people. How offensive that they are so incorrect about Obama.

Posted by Fred Truth | Report as abusive

Welcome to Indiana, America, where some of the least informed, most hypocritically sensitive, lowest common denominators live. The campaigns have been going on for over a year and these people still think Obama is a Muslim (as if that was really any more extreme than being a “Christian”)?? WAKE UP!

“‘Obama has great ideas but his background scares me,” said Chris Leighton, 60, a secretary having lunch at the Chaperral Cafe in Shelbyville, in southeast Indiana. “Everyone talks about him being a Muslim and having ties to terrorism, but how do people really find out?’”

READ SOMETHING ONCE IN A WHILE. LOOK IT UP. THINK REASONABLY AND LOGICALLY. PROVE YOUR THEORY.

Just some advice from one “Christian” to another.

Posted by Alan Greenspan | Report as abusive

too bad these alleged Christians are so stupid. Every KKKarl Rove trick really works on them….Obama is a muslim? I am shocked no one stated he’s the antiChrist in revelations. these are some very sorry citizens. and poor excuses for Christianity

P.S. His atheism? What does that mean? That is just untrue.

Posted by Fred Truth | Report as abusive

Could these people any dumber?

Posted by NO | Report as abusive

As a nation populated with people as ignorant as these goobers, we totally got what we deserved with G.W. Bush.

Posted by Nordstrom | Report as abusive

What I find disheartening about so many of the reactions is that they are driven by fear, misinformation, rumor among other things. They lead me to believe that too many people in the United States are profoundly misinformed, do not read, or are incapable of finding out information on their own and rely on too few sources.

Obama is not a Muslim; he is not an atheist; he has denounced the false statements of his pastor regarding the AIDS epidemic.

The fact that I am going into a voting booth having read about the candidates, knowing their positions on health insurance, the Iraq War, the economy, the environment, the oil crisis becomes annihilated by uninformed voters.

The Romans used an incredibly apt phrase to describe the floating innuendos that seem to run rampant in this campaign: “fama est”(there is a rumor)

Posted by John T. Marohn | Report as abusive

I’m not an Obama supporter myself, but religion certainly isn’t the reason for that. Fair is fair and there are two things that trouble me about this situation: 1) The continual misinformation about his Muslim ties. 2) The fact that if he was Muslim, that it would be problematic for some individuals. The first amendment of our constitution is about freedom. Soldiers fought and died for those freedoms, religion being one of them. I feel that it’s a double standard for individuals to want a president that stands for the constitution, yet only if s/he belongs to a certain faith. And I don’t make these statements to be argumentative. I just hope to bring another perspective to those who find this conflicting.

Posted by mm.a | Report as abusive

I live in Indiana and Shelbyville is a small town that is known for it’s racism and hate of black people. If you are looking for ANY OBAMA supporters there, than I can guarantee you we won’t find one. They have no interest in even finding out who and what Obama stands for. The would vote for any White person before Obama and it has nothing to do with religon and Everything to do with race. Black people are not welcome in Shelbyville and are harassed when driving through there. It’s sad but that is where our country is in 2008!!!

Posted by Erica | Report as abusive

He does not share the values of mid America and Indianans and Americans recognize this. And rhetoric is not going to do it. Actions are. And unfortunately, his actions speak even less of any idea what Mid America is about. Wright, Ayers, his wife’s comments and his own in both San franscico and calling his Grandmother a “typical white person.” They say very loudly he has no idea what the majority of Americans are looking for in the President and that his inexperience combined with his campaign based on “unity” is only rhetoric.

Posted by Core Democrat | Report as abusive

Hussein Obama says his Muslim dad left when he was two. He fails to mention that his step-father was also a Muslim and was in his life for a considerable time when his mom re-married. I also seems when he registered for school he registered as a Muslim. Too many maybe this and maybe that in his life. Reverend Wright who seems more wrong than right. I do not trust him. I will either vote for McCain or write-in Al Gore if the Democratic party nominates this completely unknown quantity.

Posted by RJ Remeika | Report as abusive

When will the media step up to the plate and be honest with citizens of this country and publish the truth about the candidates and the false lies. I am sadden by their lack of coming forward to clarify misinformation. Good candidates can’t win in this system we have today. It seems obvious that the media is a business that is concerned about their bottom line profits more than they are about correcting wrongs of ‘swiftboating’ politics. Shame on you. You are citizens, too. Shine light on the truth!

Posted by John | Report as abusive

“And if Obama’s Muslim ties and Christian pastor aren’t bad enough, his atheism is the last straw.”

Obama doesn’t HAVE any Muslim ties. Perhaps the word ‘alleged’ or ‘claimed’ should make an appearance somewhere in that sentence?

It shows the foolish ignorance of the people who denounce Sen. Obama as a Muslim and then say he is having difficult with his Christian Pastor, then turn around and say he is atheist and believes in nothing.
First I know many Muslim friends and they are as good and decent as any one, maybe more than most. Second, in my 60+ years I have not seen anyone stand up in church to tell the Pastor, ‘Your sermon is wrong’. And third, I am a firm believer in the seperation of church and state. Would any of the “Indiana Cafe Patrons” want the Pope or any other religious leader to be President?
I could vote for Clinton, McCain, or Obama with no problem at all. This is the first time we have had a reasonable choice for president.

Twisted minds,

I can see the handiwork of some, who have made them self
modern day prophets. The idea of influencing others by use of the Media and reruns of negative publicity all around the globe speaks for it self.The method of arranging facts, speculation or questions by people in the media can help others with evil intentions exsecute their “just cause”. Here is the problem, can the MEDIA ever get past BIGOTRY. The enemy within is greater than those you can see with your natural eyes, for where a man treasure is there his heart will be also.

There is an expression that ignorance is bliss. It is clear from this article that ignorance is prevelant…but there is nothing bliss about it.

Sad. Just Sad.

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

Good Lord!! Are these people serious??? Is Shelbyville located under a rock, or what? Where do they get their news??
…And hopefully Hillary won’t try and capitalize on their ignorance for her own gains, again…that game is getting very old and is very unbecoming, for anyone! (You would think that the attacks would be reserved for the Republican nominee and not against someone in their own party so as to preserve the integrity of it!…um, Hillary? you there? hint hint…….)
Obama, you’re a good man to stick to the high road! I hope you become our president.

Posted by Loryn | Report as abusive

After watching Rev WRight at the press club reiterate and repeat his views on the govt. giving aids to Black folks, America engaging in terrorism which is why it got 911, approving of Farrakkhan and then hearing Obama throw Wright under the bus, I’m done with Obama.

He is a hypocrite and I believe his pastor when he said yesterday that obama will say what he has to say as a politician to be elected. Obama told us that when we saw the snippets of wRight, that we were taking him out of context and that he couldn’t disown him, then Wright appears and says the same thing and now Obama is offended and angered and denounces him.

These are the same things that Wright was seen saying last month. We don’t know this man and he cannot be entrusted with the presidency. At least we know Hillary Clinton and with all of her faults, she is a fighter and she loves this country and our veterans.

Sadly, I don’t know enough about Obama and what I do know, doesn’t sit well with me.

Posted by star | Report as abusive

What do people want to see in a candidate? When he/she says what he/she is and stands for and did and will do, no one believes it. Yet when the media feeds info from typical election fever zealots, they believe. I ask, WHEN WILL U BELIEVE what one has to proffer as Prez? The notion that one is this or that starts a vicious doubt circle…bad. Then we have a candidate who having been married to a former prez who screwed up on NAFTA and gas tax among other things, playing dirty politics to get power, HOW CAN U BELIEVE THAT SHE WONT LET U DOWN ONCE SHE IS IN THERE? Humility has no place in this race and neither are suspicions.

Posted by trups | Report as abusive

I would like each debate and speaking engagement begin with the Star-Spangled Banner being played and also with the candidates pledging allegiance to the American flag.

Posted by RJ Remeika | Report as abusive

I agree, some scary people. Especially the one who thought Obama has some great ideas. Now that is scary. Obama would finish the job Jimmy Carter started in taking our country back into the toilet with all his terrorist-appeasing commie ideas.

Posted by Jon | Report as abusive

This is why most Americans get the government they deserve.

Posted by JSFox | Report as abusive

I always wondered exactly how ignorant so called “working class” Americans were. If the opinions expressed by the people in this article are anywhere close to what half of “working class” America thinks, then the country deserves McCain. It honestly boggles my mind. How close-minded, and absolutely ignorant do you have to be to make completely asinine comments like that? Obama by the way has won Virginia, Wisconsin, and Colorado which all tend to be larger somewhat purple states. Clinton’s argument holds little water when you consider that California, New York, Mass. would never go Republican. Also, look at Hillary’s record. She votes present just as much as Obama does.

Posted by Luke | Report as abusive

These ignorant comments by the good folks at the local diner put to rest a lie. Obama isn’t connecting with these voters
because he is an elitist. They aren’t allowing him to connect because of their bigotry.

Posted by Ron Johnson | Report as abusive

Bigotry….
Let us asume that we are better than the candidates currently running for the presidency, who have all fallin short of proving they are wrong to try. I will then be glad to see who, or which one of us will graduate
in complaning about our dreams and complexities.

And this is why Democracy is the worst form of government (besides all the others). — paraphrased from Winston Churchill, (non-fictional) Prime Minister of England.

“Please tell me these people don’t vote.” — Jed Bartlett, fictional President of the United States from NBC’s “West Wing.”

I think Obama is still going to win the Democratic nomination (his lead is too strong) and win the gneral election (the Republicans are too weak).

Peace.

Shame on you for writing this story. You managed to find 6 complete fools who apparently think Obama is a Muslim terrorist who is conspiring with Jeremiah Wright to take over our country–and you now attempt to parlay their nonsense into widespread hysteria by writing a story about them. Pathetic.

Posted by T.E.L. | Report as abusive

“How do people really find out?”

Well, they COULD use this thing called the internet or follow the news …

And Art, why are you guys posting the same messages everywhere? I’ve read that EXACT message on more than one site now, so what’s the point of spamming? Trying to join with JakeD, RAT-The or jacksmith?

Posted by Joe | Report as abusive

Good reporting takes the time to point out the truth rather than reporting the concerns of voters as if they were statements of fact.

For example when the reporter writes,

it can easily be inferred that the article is claiming that Obama is an atheist, which he is not.

Furthermore, the American flag lapel pin is not “standard issue for U.S. politicians,” as the demagogues who are often interviewed about them glaringly point out by not wearing them themselves.

It would be extremely refreshing if, rather than simply parroting the ignorant regurgitations of misinformation that the voters have swallowed from the Clinton campaign and their surrogates, the mainstream media took the time and effort to report the truth.

Posted by Jeff Brock | Report as abusive

I think it’s really sad that these are the types of people who are deciding the next leader of our country. It is simply amazing to me that some people cannot see that we finally have a chance to choice a president who will bring America together, stand up to special interests and bring the kind of change to Washington that we so desperately need. The whole world is watching what decision we will make this time. I think they are ready to give America a second chance. The question is, are we ready to give ourselves a second chance by electing an intelligent, inspiring, and trustworthy leader? I would like to think that we are smart enough to know better than to elect a leader (yet again) that has already been caught lying to us, just to try to get herself elected. Let’s make America a beacon of light and hope in this world once again by electing the brilliant Barack Obama.

Posted by Ami | Report as abusive

One month ago Obama REFUSED to separate from Reverand Wright and claimed that he could not do so….Reverand Wright was as good as a member of the family and it would also be the equivalent of denouncing black people!!! Now, when the truth begins to surface and cost Obama a PAYCHECK (his seat in the Senate and the presidential election) he is more than willing to denounce Reverand Wright.

Posted by DCD | Report as abusive

1. Barack Obama is not a Muslim. Even if he were, it does not make him a terrorist.
2. Barack Obama was sworn into the US Senate with his hand on the BIBLE. Go find the pictures!
3. Barack Obama has written more substantial legislation as a US Senator and as an Illinois State Senator than Hillary Clinton could even dream up.
4. Wearing a flag pin DOES NOT make you a patriot. George Bush can wear a flag pin until pigs fly and he will never be a patriot.
5. How could this man have been elected to the US Senate if he indeed had ties to terrorist. BUT NO ONE POINTS OUT BILL CLINTON PARDONED TERRORISTS that blew up a building in New York killing innocent people.

Let me get this straight… people would seriously consider electing a woman with ties to a suicide, Sandy Barry who stole documents pertaining to the Clinton White House years, lies about her Foreign Policy experience!?!?! I just don’t get it.

It’s uneducated and uninformed people like these supposed Christians that got us in the mess with Bush being elected in the first place. They got the government they deserve!

Posted by Wendy, Denver | Report as abusive

Obama will say and do whatever it takes and use and disown whoever it takes as long as it benefits him and his political agenda. He likes to throw out words he knows people love to hear and would love to believe, like “hope” and “change” . Look at Chicago, I fail to see where he brought any “hope” or “change” there, Chicago is well known for the corrupt politics there and Obama remained loyal to the corrupt regime, instead of supporting those who could help bring change. He got his Mansion with the help of his slum-lord pal Tony Rezko. He looked the other way,while people had to live without heat in Rezko’s slum housing and his Mansion only being just minutes away. Now, we’re suppose to believe he’ll bring hope and change for the entire country.

Posted by Jess | Report as abusive

I see why Bush was elected two times. If people in small town America are this dumb, this country is in serious trouble.

Posted by Midwest Independent | Report as abusive

It is very insulting that Obama expects the voters to believe that just now, he is finally “outraged” by Rev. Wright. Interestingly, the things said by Rev. Wright over the last couple of days were pretty much what we all know he has said before. The only thing different that I picked up was when Rev. Wright twice said that Obama says what he has to say, because he is a politician. So, what is the lesson of today’s denouncement by Obama? I think it is that Rev. Wright can say anything he wants about white people and America, but if he dares “diss” Obama, then Obama is “OUTRAGED.” This latest act by Obama is self-serving damage control, and nothing more.

Posted by Fred Jones | Report as abusive

The right candidate….
There are many who live a life based on rumors, anything that is subject to change. However you turn it, it still remains a lie and is again the subject of anothers opinion.
But there are others who live a life based on facts, yet they strugle because they can do nothing to change the truth. Now let us all try to choose a candidate based on everything we hear from the MEDIA, because they had a one-on-one talk with the candidates. Can we believe or justify facts based on preperation for schedule appointments, when it took me years to know my wife who share the same bed.

This seems to prove we need a national pre-voting
test and a pledge from prospective voters to spend
at least 5 minutes doing simple non-gossip research
before deciding who they think should be the leader
of the executive branch. Or at least, ask a 2nd
grader whom they should vote for.

Posted by flinter | Report as abusive

What is so smart about Obama? How about schmoozing the working class out of a Universal Healthcare plan, or maybe out of their Education, or maybe out of their patriotism.

Hillary stands for the people, and she has the bruises to prove it.

Barack, it’s time to go home.

Thank you Hillary Clinton for being a great Presidential Candidate!!

You are right on with your plan for Universal Healthcare, you are right on with your plans for education, you are right on for supporting working class America!!

You are not a flip-flopper, or a windsock, you don’t try to fool us all by switching to what everyone wants to hear. You are the genuine article.

In a time when a man named Obama is trying to pull off the biggest Schmoozing of America in recent history, you are rock solid in your character and your commitment to the American people.

Hillary, no skeletons of 20+ years of hate and racism are jumping out of your closet to claw America in the face. No parlor jokes of demoting our American flag come from you.

Thank you Hillary for all your surprises are joyous ones, not ones that make a person think “wow I didn’t know you supported that extremist person”.

After months of standing your ground in the face of formidable odds, you have proven that you have got what it takes. No other presidential candidate has had the stuff shoveled on them like you have, and you made it through to the other side. You have shined through as the most tested Presidential candidate of the whole entire contest.

Thank you Hillary for allowing us to continue to have our individual GOD BLESS America. We are a nation with problems, but at the end of the day, Americans are full of heart, and at the end of the day, I know you’ll be right there fighting for us.

Hillary for President 2008

Posted by Working Class | Report as abusive

To use an old Arkansas term, Rev. Wright just talks “to hear his head rattle”. None of the current media noise is of any real significance.
None of the candidates even mention the deliberate transfer of our industry to China over the past thirty years. Or that in the last fifteen years there has been a deliberate outsourcing of intellectual jobs to India.
This from an old man who grew up in the Deprssion and went through two wars – and still can do most of a day’s prooductive work.
My patroitism has been tested. I don’t need to wear a “made in China” flag bauble to prove it.

Posted by AUBREY BURKE | Report as abusive

Obama’s step father is muslim. Obama did attend a muslim school for 4 years.(any one read his book? or look on wikipedia?) Its not a good idea for Americans to elect anyone with muslim ties to be our president. That’s stupidity. Most American’s are uninformed not because they are lazy but the internet and news give unimportant and here say information. Obama is good at saying it’s time for change. Agreed but If you’ve ever really listened to Obama you will hear him not say anything it’s yes and then no it’s kind of weird.

Posted by Dawn | Report as abusive

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Thats the problem….we can await to be screen/influence
because there are gov. restriction and codes in a message….. live with it.

John Marohn said: “What I find disheartening about so many of the reactions is that they are driven by fear, misinformation, rumor among other things…too many people in the United States are profoundly misinformed, do not read, or are incapable of finding out information on their own and rely on too few sources.

Have any of these people actually read Obama’s book? Have any of them actually read or heard his speech about his pastor?”

You’re assuming they can read? Be careful about jumping to conclusions!

Posted by Jeff Melton | Report as abusive

My wife, a European, groans at these stories, “It’s your country,” she says. “Want to go to mine now?”
No, please. Please, America. Not all Indiana voters have ambient room temperature IQs. You: you’re literate. You’re reading this. You know Obama’s not a secret Muslim (and even Hillary “as-far-as-I-know” concurs). Rev. Wright is no Svengali. Eloquence is not automatically a sign of elitism.
Please, America, have lunch in a diner. Chat up the folks at the next table. If they fuss over an absent lapel pin, please set them straight. Gently. Don’t proselytize, it’s unnecessary. Just educate.
Just a little bit of common sense, liberally applied, and my wife will probably stop bringing home moving boxes.

Posted by Stuart | Report as abusive

This article is sad. It exemplifies Americans stupidity. How can Obama be condemned for his Christian pastor’s comments, and yet and still be of the Muslim faith? How can he be an atheist but have ties to the Muslim faith? Furthermore, I’m tired of hearing white America being so appalled at Rev. Wright’s comments. If you shared the history and daily experiences of African-Americans, then you to would be outraged at America’s racist, sexist, and classist practices. The people interviewed in this article do not want to admit that they are not comfortable voting for an African-American. Honestly, I don’t see the honor in being the President of a country who still allows people to be exploited and objectified on a daily basis. I hope Obama doesn’t when, because that would save his life. He’ll probably be assassinated before he could complete his first year in office.

Posted by J.D. | Report as abusive

Hagee

Posted by Carole-Anne | Report as abusive

Over half of the posters here show exactly why it was so easy to believe that Obama was being an Arrogant Elitist when he “mis spoke” in SF for Bittergate.
These posters are doing the same thing (most are SnobAmaBabies), so why wouldn’t anyone think Liberals are all arrogant elitists?
Read these posts! aImagine they were about blacks/hispanics/etc instead of just people in the Heartland. I don’t see any difference, But I’m sure the rest of you will try to rationalize your prejudices.
Posts like “have any of these idiots read Obama’s books” WHAT? Now you are not smart or cool if you don’t run out and buy Obama’s trash? What are you people, grade school kids?

“As a hoosier, I am not shocked at how ridiculous the answers/responses from these people are. Shelbyville is hillbilly central anyhow. Why not interview in the “brighter” regions eg: Indianapolis, Muncie, Bloomington, Lafayette etc.
- Posted by Hoosiers are dumb ”
But they are VOTERS! So now you want to take away their rights to vote and have a voice?

And they are RACISTS because they don’t like a persons views, real or imagined?
And Liberals are supposed to be “enlightened” and “progressive”. Well, from these posts, it’s obvious that’s crap.
You all make me sick!
And now I know I haven’t been wrong about Liberals, They ARE whiny wusses that get together and attack a whole group of people, not face to face, but in a closed fund raiser or behind a keyboard.
I owe you for that knowledge, at least.

Posted by RoBoTech | Report as abusive

Democracy gone wrong. It’s great to have these people casting votes.

Posted by some guy | Report as abusive

Barack Obama is always preaching about how what matters most is being right on day one, not ready like Hillary is. Well Obama is NEITHER, Obama is not right for America and he wasn’t right about Reverend Wright either! Wright was Obama’s mentor and spiritual adviser of 20 some odd years, 20 years, nearly half his entire life people., hello? Wright was the pastor that married Barack and Michelle Obama and Wright baptized Obama’s children! fact. How wrong could Obama be staying so closely associated with this racist, hate mongering preacher for 20 whole years. Those who know Wright have said he has always been like this, so it is safe to conclude Obama was not only WRONG about associating himself with Wright, he also knew all about Wright’s very wrong views of America, Catholics, Italians, Jews and all the others Wright has slandered and denounced. ENOUGH, Vote for Hillary Clinton, it is the only actual right thing to do!

Posted by Hillary All the Way!!! | Report as abusive

Obama and Wright are smart, but Wright mainly wants to advance his agenda, play the prophet of old Israel, rather than try to achieve his agenda from behind the Sanhedrin’s (or Caesar’s, or Herod’s) curtain, while Obama wants essentially to be Caesar and try to change America that way. Both people have a point: Wright is whining about how America is unfair, and Obama is trying to make it less so. Unfortunately, Wright might be undermining his own ability to make America more fair. waaaaaay to go, moron. That and the support you gave of an anti-Semite (Louis Farrakhan) turned me off. I could care less whether Obama is an athiest, a durka, a believer in Hawaiian tikis, a Christian, or a worshippor of Mudkip, but he has to be fair, reasonable, and nice to Americans, and he has to try to associate with Americans who are nice to Americans as well. Not whiners with a point.

Posted by Ricky the American | Report as abusive

To the moderator: Would you mind replacing “durka” with “Muslim”? I used 4chan slang for a Muslim and people might not understand that. Oops.

Posted by Ricky the American | Report as abusive

Tales from the Trail

Man love publicity, and it took 45 minutes of the last debate before getting into the issues that is important for the country.
Why 2x another debate, can this improve the facts that Michigan and Florida votes are now relevant. all the problems we create, proves we are double minded.
A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

The media has only focused on McCain, Clinton, & Obama. There are more candidates running in the presidential race. It’s too bad that realistically we can’t get a decent person elected in this country. The very rich corporations and big wigs that run America decide our fate with money, propaganda, and the media so even if you think that Obama rocks it’s because you’ve been swayed that way. New and exciting doesn’t mean the best person for the job. By the way I wish we would stop with the racist America crap I won’t vote for Obama not because he’s Black but because he’s other things that don’t fit with my idea of a good president. I also won’t vote for Hillary not because she’s a woman but again because she’s other things that don’t fit with my idea of a good President. I won’t vote for McCain just because he’s a white man. no way. I wish someone like Sec. Rice was running I really like her AND OH MY GOSH she’s black and a woman.I say Shame on Americans still shoveling the race card it’s so tacky and out of date.

Posted by Dawn | Report as abusive

For those who took the time to watch Bill Moyers interview Reverend Wright on his PBS show The Journal, they would know that he is a highly intelligent articulate man who served his country for six years in the military, spent the last 40 years attending to his church, operating so many social outreach programs, building the congregation from under a hundred to several thousands. The snippets are cruelly out of context and completely misrepresent the man. When he gave the speech at the National Press Club, again the networks took snippets and edited out the cheers and the applause his answers received. But he then went wild at the NAACP meeting, mocking his denouncers and acting rather irreverently – ignoring the political repercussions of his actions.

If Obama can weather this storm, and I believe he can, he will prove himself to be a formidable adversary to McCain, a tired old school politician with no demonstrable ability for higher office. But then he doesn’t have a hard act to follow, does he?

America has a golden opportunity to redeem itself with this election cycle. Obama has integrity and intelligence. Clinton has shown her hand several times now, proving that she represents old school politics ever bit as archaic as McCain. She doesn’t represent change. And her hawkish rhetoric won’t make friends around the world either.

So the choice appears in the next two stages, a great step forward or running on the spot. One brings promise, the other more of the same.

Posted by MM | Report as abusive

How the American people react to the Wright controversy and the innuendos that Obama is a Muslim is a test of how mature they are in the areas of racial and religious tolerance. Apparently, though, many Americans have not gotten over their racial and religious bigotry, whether they are aware of it or not, whether they admit it or not. No wonder, America continues to lose respect, prestige and moral ascendancy around the world. Electing a man to the presidency despite his dark skin and Muslim-sounding name, but who is a unifier and had the right judgment not to support a foolish misadventure can probably restore some of that lost respect and prestige.

Posted by Joel B | Report as abusive

Wendy – Obama’s legislative accomplishments were in his final 7th year and were handed to him by his mentor, IL State Senate President Emil Jones. These small town people are proud of where they come from, insulting them will push them farther away from Obama. So don’t be to surprised if blue states go red if Obama is the nom. The idea of the far left liberals picking our president might be to much for small town voters.

Posted by Windy in Chicago | Report as abusive

Obama doesn’t care about changing America. Obama is as ego centric as his ex-pastor and only got truly offended when Wright called him out as being the say anything politician that he truly is.

Why did Obama pick Wright’s church in the first place? Probably because at the time he thought it would be politically advantageous to do so.

Posted by david | Report as abusive

Obama supporters should stop insulting the people of Indiana. They will be voting next and they may not vote for your candidate. That’s their choice. Since you know him best, name some of his accomplishments. There’s nothing listed on his website.

Posted by goldenstate | Report as abusive

SEN Obama will stand with the muslims , he said in his book ‘audacity of hope’
You have to challenge him now about this , not later
when 3/4 of our cities are all blown to pieces.

Posted by h | Report as abusive

Forget about these people. They are just dumb-asses.

Posted by ed | Report as abusive

Jeremiah Wright here is what you need to know.
He is an enabler of US military marksmen commencing
friendly fire. This man is deadly for the USA ,Just
listen to the tape 2001 played today at Hannity Radio Show.
Hannity overheard it , so did not comment on it.
SEN Obama is finished because these gang wars experienced Reverands Manings , Aires etc. will now extort him.
If we are lucky , the Fort Dix Bombing investigation will be re-opened and bring even charges against SEN Obama .Makes sense,because in SF CA Speech we learned he would like
his supporters to get their guns ready and expect command and control from the pulpit . The wrap song star ‘ showed
allegiance to those pulpits.
Today the tide has turned.SEN Obama split up with the previous planed command and control structure. It is the fight about being in control of the million men holding on to their guns in USA . It is not presidential , SEN Obama.Newt Gingrich, one of the brightest heads in this USA, sees you downhill also . It is the “milieu” that is not acceptable, the millieu SEN Obama is coming from, he would never make it for a top secret clearance .

Posted by h | Report as abusive

It’s just killing you far-left liberals that your deceitful ‘politician’ – your golden boy Obama doesn’t resonate well with most Hoosiers, especially now that his association with the racist, America-hating Wright, Rezco and the terrorist bomber Ayres have surfaced. That’s one thing about Midwesterners, we can see through the glitter straight to the deceit and arrogance AND the inexperience. It’s funny that when we have opinions that differ from yours, we’re considered racist, ignorant and unenlightened. Now, WHO is the ignorant ones? People like you are the reason ‘hypocrite’ is a word.

But don’t fret about your leader; he’ll get a good showing in Indiana. In Gary, close to Chicago – where the population is almost 100% black, Indianapolis with a large population of blacks and liberal whites, and in the liberal college towns like Lafayette or Bloomington where IU is located, tons of liberal professors reside there who have indoctrinated their students well. There will be plenty of young, ‘enlightened’ anti-America professors and students to vote for your candidate. Now, THEY resonate well with Obama and his lovely “America is down-right mean” and “I’ve never been proud of my country until now” (until hubby started doing well in the polls) wifey-poo Michelle. Ahhh….what a great AMERICAN First Lady she would be, eh?

This small town, Hoosier republican – who, by the way, has done her research and is indeed ‘informed’, is doing my part and voting for Hillary May 6 JUST TO STOP OBAMA. I’m telling my republican family and friends to do the same; come November we’ll hold our noses and vote for McCain.

Posted by Brendy | Report as abusive

this article is a shame!what do people think of Hillary’s connection to a group called the fellowship?

People DO research the candidates and find info such as below, but I’m sure you Obama supporters will say it’s bogus or an outrageous lie. People form their own ideas when they read things, but you sheep who follow Obama absolutely refuse to accept anything that hints at negativity towards your idol:

Obama asserted in December, “I’ve always been a Christian,” and he has adamantly denied ever having been a Muslim. “The only connection I’ve had to Islam is that my grandfather on my father’s side came from that country [Kenya]. But I’ve never practiced Islam.” In February, he claimed: “I have never been a Muslim. … other than my name and the fact that I lived in a populous Muslim country for 4 years when I was a child [Indonesia, 1967-71] I have very little connection to the Islamic religion.”

Obama’s Kenyan birth father: In Islam, religion passes from the father to the child. Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. (1936–1982) was a Muslim who named his boy Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. Only Muslim children are named “Hussein”.

Obama’s Indonesian family: His stepfather, Lolo Soetoro, was also a Muslim. In fact, as Obama’s half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng explained to Jodi Kantor of the New York Times: “My whole family was Muslim, and most of the people I knew were Muslim.” An Indonesian publication, the Banjarmasin Post reports a former classmate, Rony Amir, recalling that “All the relatives of Barry’s father were very devout Muslims.”

The Catholic school: Nedra Pickler of the Associated Press reports that “documents showed he enrolled as a Muslim” while at a Catholic school during first through third grades. Kim Barker of the Chicago Tribune confirms that Obama was “listed as a Muslim on the registration form for the Catholic school.” A blogger who goes by “An American Expat in Southeast Asia” found that “Barack Hussein Obama was registered under the name ‘Barry Soetoro’ serial number 203 and entered the Franciscan Asisi Primary School on 1 January 1968 and sat in class 1B. … Barry’s religion was listed as Islam.”

The public school: Paul Watson of the Los Angeles Times learned from Indonesians familiar with Obama when he lived in Jakarta that he “was registered by his family as a Muslim at both schools he attended.” Haroon Siddiqui of the Toronto Star visited the Jakarta public school Obama attended and found that “Three of his teachers have said he was enrolled as a Muslim.”

Although Siddiqui cautions that “With the school records missing, eaten by bugs, one has to rely on people’s shifting memories,” he cites only one retired teacher, Tine Hahiyari, retracting her earlier certainty about Obama’s being registered as a Muslim.

Posted by Brendy | Report as abusive

When did Obama live in Kansas? IIRC, Obama’s grandparents moved from Kansas to Washington state when his mother was a child. From there, they moved to Hawaii. It was while they were living in Hawaii that Obama’s parents met and they still lived in Hawaii when Obama lived with them while he was in high school. Obama went to college in California, and then moved to Chicago before attending Harvard and then moving back to Chicago.

So when did Obama live in Kansas?

Maybe the author of this article should have spent a little more time getting her facts right and a little less trying to make the people of Indiana look like hicks. It is hard to take an article seriously when the very first sentence wrong.

Posted by Maggie | Report as abusive

Barack Obama is a good, decent man and will make a wonderful President of the United States. Remember he was very young when he met Wright and the pastor is a charasmatic man. White people attend his church. They are all their to hear the Word of God. They, and Barack Obama believe in the love of Jesus Christ for his children. Let it go, for God’s sake. Wright has seen a way to put himself in the spotlight at his parishiner’s expense. Senator Barack Obama is a Christian, a leader among men and he wants to bring people together in the pursuit of peace. I pray he’ll be given that chance, and that ignorance and irrational fear won’t rob us all of the opportunity to send this very special human being to the White House.
God be with you, Senator Obama!

It’s interesting for me to note that the National Press Club appearance was anamolous: the audience was not the working press and the questions were not from reporters! The NPC is an institution and the performances there are somewhat ritualized. So this was like watching a karaoke performance in the senate chambers. Something was amiss. Had this been filmed in a church basement during a potlatch dinner of parishioners, I don’t think the impact would have been quite so dramatic. I found nothing in what Rev. Wright said objectionable; even his remarks about the U.S. government and AIDS were framed conditionally: He thought them capable (but not culpable). It seems that Senator Obama is being targeted.

Posted by rhetoric | Report as abusive

I have always wished I was an American. We have looked at America as a dreamland where freedom and equality exist. Where reasoning overides sentiments and where quality is the order of the day. A country where what brings people together is stronger than what puts them apart. Obama’s candidacy for president of the USA is a litmus test for Americans. The echos we are getting from this presidential campaign is pushing America out of its position as the leader of the world in the 21st century. Might be we were only dreaming. The dollar is crying, America needs to stand up or loss its position to the Asia (China and Japan)

Intellectual laziness at its worst. It is completely fine not to support Obama if you disagree with his ideas and plans for America but saying you don’t like him because he has ties to Muslims and won’t salute the flag is ignorant and lazy. I grew up in small town America and went to school in Indiana and I have to say I ashamed to read this. What is happening to our country?

Posted by Stephen | Report as abusive

A good deal of what is said about the candidates by the press, and in the media, have absolutely nothing to do with how one would do as President, and voters need to distinguish what is important with what is not, and what is truth. That can be difficult. But one other point to make, and it’s more important than any other…..Let’s remember that the President has limited power, really, to influence some of the issues that are debated. That is a plus of our system of rule, that power is balanced out. When you look at the party system, it becomes harder and harder to distinguish a Republican from a Democrat. Vote the person that stands more for traditional American values, and places importance on national security, bringing jobs back to America, and improving the educational system in our country. Don’t be swayed by hype and spin. Compare the views and values of these candidates, and vote for the person who can best represent our country, on an international scale.

Posted by PirateVoice | Report as abusive

I live in Indianapolis and am all too familiar with the mindset of rural Indiana. Barely a day goes by where I do not hear someone quoting from the bible or praising Jesus. When Mr. Obama made his comments about small town Americans and their tendencey to cling to guns and religion, he was describing rurual Indiana to a tee.

Combine the fear of non-Christian religions with ongoing undertones of racism, and rural Indiana is not a place where Mr. Obama will garner much support. It is ironic to me that in the Democratic primary, Indiana must choose between Hilliary Clinton, whom most on the right view as being more distasteful than Hitler, and a young, black senator with a Muslim sounding name. If there was a white man on the Democratic presidential primary ballot, that person would easily win 90% of the vote in this state.

It’s sad, but true. Once you leave Indianapolis or the nortwestern part of the state which borders Chicago, these sort of hyper-religious, narrow minded views are more the rule than the exception.

Posted by Michael Coleman | Report as abusive

I follow this so closely out of interest. I am so saddened to see dirty companioning affecting Sen. Obama chance in this election. The fact that he is black does not make him less important. I do not believe he is a Muslim. If I do he would certainly impact my view on him. It is so sad to see a few Americans think the way they do simply because he is not white. I watch some nasty programs on Fox and feel some people are paid to be very much against him because of his race. They are prepared to put nasty stories for him to loose. America needs to fight what other nations are doing to its economy and I sincerely believe Obama has the brain to sort this out more than any of the other two competitors.

Posted by michael | Report as abusive

These underground republican and Hilary attacks are fruitless and someone needs to tell them they are wrong!

Once again, misinformation praying on ingonrance and fear will make it business as usual in D.C.
Will we ever stop fearing change for the good, and actually send someone to D.C. who will help us? Main stream media has not helped at all, except for the “fear” factor.
So sad.

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

I encourage all American citizens to get themselves a college education. The social classes are at their best. What is so embarrassing to America is its uninformed citizens who would rather go off of hearsay than to research the contrasts between presidential candidates. The American dream isn’t a house anymore, its EDUCATION. Trevor from Brooklyn!

Posted by Trevor from Brooklyn NY | Report as abusive

If this means people are more likely to vote based on random e-mails than candidates’ positions on issues.. Words espace me.

Posted by JP | Report as abusive

To this day, I still do not understand what people fear about Obama’s ties to Wright. Obama’s 40+ years of history (personal and professional) would indicate that he doesn’t share Wright’s political views but people weigh Wright’s influence more heavily than Obama’s actual words and deeds. Even if Obama did agree with Wright on certain issues, how do people fell this would effect his policy decisions? What are these folks afraid of? It’s despicable that rural whites have such control in the political process. This article and others would indicate that they are very mis-informed voters and they are not equipped to make intelligent decisions about the next POTUS. People blame Bush for doing a poor job for America, I think we need to blame these people who value the “good ole boy” network over anyone who looks different or has a different background.

Posted by Bryan | Report as abusive

Well. We all have noticed that Sen. B.O. is clean, sincere
& honest. He already made himself clear about Rev.J.W.´s
attacks. In America, people are free to express their opinions, so does Rev.Wright, too. Sen.Obama is not in a
position to have Rev.Wright keep quiet! This is part of
the American Democracy of free speech. Therefore, Sen.
Obama should not be held accountable to what is being said,
reported or argumented by 2nd.or 3rd.parties. Voters should judge Sen.Obama by his Deeds, his Speaches, his Policies & Issues, rather than by what was said/reported
on his Campain´s behalf. Only Sen.Clinton who is enjoying such developments is benefiting nowadays!
It´s too bad, that some Voters are turning against Mr.Obama, instead og supporting him in such a situation.

such developments

Posted by Jean Michel Nehme | Report as abusive

This is typical of the paranoid political discourse of many Americans both left and right, including many with college education. Many see a conspiracy under every rock. Look at the wild conspiracy theories about Bill Clinton’s supposed corruption thrown out by Falwell and company. Go around a college campus and find how many believe wild conspiracy theories about 911, or think that evangelicals are “American fascists” about to overthrow the constitution. Many believe the worst about their political opponents because it is what they want to hear.

Posted by Tired Evangelical | Report as abusive

Maybe Andrea Hopkins (poster or the article) should head down to Jasper, Texas or rural Louisiana to see how they will vote. Come on! Why not pick an enlightened place for informed opinions? Or maybe it was what you wanted?

Posted by Don | Report as abusive

WHAT A SAD SPECTACLE. For weeks now, Obama supporters, political pundits, talk show hosts, and even “The View” panel members have been defending Rev. Wright; defending the statements of Rev. Wright; saying that they were taken out of context; even saying that they were true; all in order to defend their candidate, Barack Obama. And now, with one fell swoop, Obama himself has taken the rug out from underneath all of these supporters and de-legitimized their arguments by saying that he himself, is “outraged” by the statements of Rev. Wright, and that he no longer wishes to have any relationship with him. Interestingly, the things said by Rev. Wright in his recent public appearances and interviews were pretty much what we all know he has said before. The only thing materially different was when Rev. Wright twice stated that Obama says what he has to say, because he is a politician. So, what is the lesson of this sad spectacle? Three things. Firstly, it is that Rev. Wright can say anything he wants about “white people” and America, no matter how disgusting or untrue, but if he dares “diss” Obama personally, then Obama is finally “OUTRAGED.” Secondly, it has shown the extent to which some Obama supporters and apologists will go to justify and rationalize any action on the part of Obama or one of his advisers, even to the extent of sanctioning racist and anti-American hate speech, in order to defend Obama and promote his campaign. Finally, it has shown once again that Obama will do anything, and jettison anyone, in his quest for power and the Presidency. The “denunciation” of Wright by Obama is self-serving damage control, and nothing more. The actions by some of his supporters in trying to defend the indefensible, represent a shameful combination of political expediency, lack of objectivity, and hypocrisy.

Posted by Fred Jones | Report as abusive

I can honestly say that the media has succeeded in distracting Americans from the “REAL” issues at hand. We’ve become so wrapped up in issues like “Obama being Muslim” (which he is not, if people do their research before passing comment) and “Rev. Wright speeches.” We really need to focus on the down spiraling of the economy, these outrageous gas prices, the effects of the job loss (GM, Delta/Northwest merger) in the U.S., Healthcare, Education….I could go on for days. THESE ARE ISSUES WE NEED TO FOCUS ON AND WHAT SOLUTIONS THESE CANDIDATES BRING TO THE TABLE ON SOLVING ALL THIS MESS. Who cares about what Rev. Wright is saying or has said, he’s not the one running for president. I’m an Obama supporter 100 Grand. However, we can’t go wrong with either candidate (Obama or Clinton), I highly doubt they can worsen the issues currently going on. At least they are making an attempt address these issues and have solid solutions…can’t say the same for Bush…(oops did I say that!)

Posted by Malene | Report as abusive

This is bad reporting….period. It’s blatantly done to make Obama and Hoosiers look bad. There is a huge difference between southern and northern Indiana, and let’s keep in mind that the KKK had a huge stronghold in southern Indiana at one time. The media and reporters of today are a disgrace to the entire world. There is no such thing as good reporting anymore. They just try to create as much division in the world as possible, and they know that none of us can do anything to stop it………until now. THAT’S what this election is REALLY about. OBAMA 08

And he WILL win Indiana AND the Presidency!

Posted by Danny in Indiana | Report as abusive

RoboTech said: “Over half of the posters here show exactly why it was so easy to believe that Obama was being an Arrogant Elitist when he “mis spoke” in SF for Bittergate….
You are talking about real people here! Calling them idiots and such. Who made all of YOU idiot police?”

Well, look. Between thinking that someone could be Muslim, Christian, and atheist at the same time, and thinking that there is something wrong with being Muslim, atheist, or anything but (white, conservative) Christian, these people demonstrated an appalling level of ignorance, religious bigotry, and just plain dumb thinking. And although these individuals represent extreme cases, the fact of the matter is that average Americans are amazingly uninformed about politics, science, and a whole host of other matters. Being angry about this state of affairs is completely appropriate and has nothing to do with being “elitist.” It’s a matter of being appalled at how irresponsible many Americans are, making important decisions like who the next President is without making any effort whatsoever to make an informed decision. It’s totally inexcusable to be that misinformed and bigoted.

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

I’m starting to wonder about the reading comprehension of those accusing the folks in the article of holding conflicting and/or exclusionary views of Obama being Muslim, an Athiest, and having a crazy pastor. None of the people quoted mentioned all three and the charge of atheism comes from the reporter’s interpretation of one person’s questioning of whether or not Obama “believes in anything,” since he (according to what she’s heard) eschews oaths and saluting the flag. As ill-informed as some of those quoted appear to be, the responses by some commenters here conflate what was said and exaggerate any ignorance.

That said, it doesn’t add it up that all is due to ignorance. It’s quite possible that on the Muslim charge, they simply do not believe that he’s telling the truth about his past — he is afterall a politician. Also, the woman that reasoned that Obama wasn’t forthcoming regarding Rev. Wright displayed neither ignorance nor stupidity. The older woman concerned about the oath and flag salutation is obviously misinformed but I wonder if informing her would ease her mind — the full explanation of Obama deciding to not wear a flag pin combined with further knowledge like Obama’s associations with 1960s radicals would probably be just as worrisome to her as the initial but false worry that he won’t swear on the bible or salute the flag.

The ignorance displayed by some voters is indeed worrisome and I have no doubt that there are a few patrons in this article where bigotry is more important to their feelings regarding Obama than fact. However, what is also disturbing is the willingness some Obama partisans display at the chance to paint their fellow Americans that harbor any doubts about Obama as racist, ignorant, hicks,

Posted by read closely | Report as abusive

Barack Obama showed loyalty to a pastor and friend when it was politically expedient for him to “throw him under the bus.” He demonstrated forbearance until he had no choice when it got out of hand. I wonder if those of you who question Obama’s judgement have agreed with everything you’ve heard your pastor say over the past 20 years? If not, did you leave the church and join another? Did you then agree with everything your new pastor said?

Posted by Bill Marjenhoff | Report as abusive

Watching all of this from Canada, I can’t help but marvel at how screwed up small town America is. Driven by fear of the unknown and ignorance.

Here is a man who will bring your country back to the world stage as a respected member of the community of nations…. and 15% of you actually believe he is a muslim. Half of you are scared of him because he is different. Almost all of you are scared terrorists are lurking behind every corner.

I will pray for you tonight and that one day God chooses to help you to get past your fears and prejudices (like the rest of the western world has).

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Seems to be a lot of believers in email scams. They are free to message me about great deal from estate attorney in Nigeria, we’ll split the take.

All we hear is how obama should have known how radical this man was.. that he was his ‘spiritual advisor’.. check out what an actual pastor has to say about spiritual advisors: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/pol itics/blog/2008/04/another_pastors_persp ective_on.html

And too.. when we think about it.. if this oh so dangerous angry black man was so well known to be so.. why in the world did Bill and Hillary invite him to the Whitehouse to publicly forgive his affair with a young intern? Why for that matter are pastors like Hagee allowed to go on and on about nuking Iran to bring on the rapture? Why would Mccain go to a university that preaches Katrina was brought about by God’s hate for gays? Why does McCain get to say sorry I didn’t vote for civil rights years ago, but no prob now right? and there is not the first question on the timing. Why does Hillary get a free ride on out right lies over sniper fire.. with no problem. Why do associations in their past, whether lobbyists or criminals have no bearing but we have to put Obama through everything short of a colon scope? Where are their flag pins by the way?

This has gotten past ridiculas.. am sure Karl Rove is laffing his butt off.. his hate and fear strategy lives on.. perpetuated by the very same folks it was played upon to begin with. Would be funny if not so damned sad.
Are some simply digging for reasons so they don’t have to face some latent racism? I hope not. I had hoped this was about beating John McCain and supporting both candidates in doing so. Maybe not. Maybe Obama’s race is more important to some than more war. God I hope not. Could it be that we are so collectively stupid to fall again for cheap political games? Surely not. Are any prejudices we have have more dear to us than four more years of failed bush policy? Maybe this political race is revealing more about us than the politicians.. Hopefully we will look inside and research more than we apparently google.

Good luck all.. we are going to need it if we get McCain because of horsehit bullshit.

Posted by MsSwin | Report as abusive

If you are indignant at rev. wright, here is some real Anti-America slander recited in the religious Right church to which many ardent GOP proponents are subscribed.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/2007/09/wh y_should_god_bless_america.html

In contrast, Obama will be the president for all Americans, more! he will be the first American president for the world. Obama embodies everything that is good in America. He will bring out the best in us. Our unity will help us mature politically and advance materially. Many more will abandon GOP to flag & cross waving extremists who’ll continue to wait for a bleached messiah. With Obama at helm and a common purpose we become more productive, thus richer, elevating ourselves and advance the world in our wake.

Posted by Jake | Report as abusive

How can voters do “research” when they don’t even want to “search”. Loooooord have mercy! Citizens please dont turn church affiliation into a substitute for critical thinking and analysis. Jeremiah Wright and Sen. Barack Obama are |absolute values|.

The theme of this week’s drama is “Guilty by Association” I wonder who the other candidates are trying to hide under they’re cloak….I’m sure we could find a bigot somewhere in the Republican party or from Arkansas.

Posted by Trevor from Brooklyn NY | Report as abusive

THE DANGER OF COLLECTIVE WISHFUL THINKING: I believe many have a desire for that Knight in Shinning Armor to come forward and solve all of our political ills. Many Americans believe they have found that person in Barack Obama. Obama, who professes to be a “different” kind of politician who represents “change” and “unity,” has been very effective in playing to this “collective wishful thinking.” Obama, however, knows that he is not that Knight. He knows that he has been a conventional and ruthless politician from the start. He knows that he obtained his first elective office by stabbing his friend and mentor, Alice Palmer, in the back. He knows that despite his assertions, he has obtained over $62,000,000 from special interest groups during this campaign by a method developed by George Bush and Karl Rove. He knows that despite his glowing rhetoric about unity, he chose to belong to a racist black liberation theology church for 20 years, and considered its racist and anti-American pastor as his “mentor and spiritual adviser.” He knows that it is he who has played the race card over and over, in order to destroy the legacy of Bill Clinton, and blunt his effectiveness as an advocate for Hillary Clinton. And, he knows that this most recent “denunciation” of Wright only occurred because Wright told the truth; that Obama is a “politician” and will say whatever he needs to say to get elected. Yes, he knows all of these things, and so do millions of Americans throughout this country. Yet, millions of his supporters have allowed their “wishful thinking” to cloud their ability to digest any information not consistent with their image of Obama; this image that has been so carefully constructed by Obama, himself. This will account for the intellectual agility which will be required of them to change from an apologist for Rev. Wright one day, to a supporter of Obama’s denunciation of Wright, the next day. In the 1930’s, another people believed that they had found their “Knight” who would save them from the effects of a humiliating defeat in World War I. They, too, believed that their leader was almost infallible. They, too, hung on every word he said, and refused to believe any warnings from “outsiders” about the true nature of their leader’s beliefs and actions. And even after a devastating defeat in World War II, millions of them still would not – could not believe that their leader was anything other than what he himself said he was, because to believe this would somehow not only invalidate their leader, but it would invalidate themselves. Were these people unsophisticated, stupid people? Absolutely, not. They inhabited one of the most advanced countries of its time. No, their deficiency lied in their inability to process information inconsistent with their beliefs. Their weakness was placing their “wishes” over their objectivity. All along the way, there were signs that their leader was not who he professed to be. However, their belief that they had found their “Knight” resisted any and all such signs, and enable a charismatic and hateful man to lead their country into hell. Objectivity has been defined as “the ability to perceive or describe something without being influenced by personal emotions or prejudices.” Objectivity will help assure that in this nomination process, each candidate is viewed as they really are; not as they have told us they are, or how we wish they were.

Posted by Fred Jones | Report as abusive

Wow, what a mediocre and narcissistic piece of journalistic poop this is. Who wrote this anyway?

The “journalist” travels to the second most racist town in Indiana, finds a cafe frequented by older working-class patrons, talks to everyone until he gathers half a dozen misinformed opinions and–BAM–now the reader knows that anyone who doesn’t plan to vote for Obama is an illiterate hillbilly/nazi.

I really like Obama but this “better and smarter than you” attitude displayed by his supporters really disgusts me. Are these the same “smart” people who voted for Kerry because he was the most electable, or do we have a new generation of smarties now?

Ok, Obama sophisticates, you’re certainly all very good at math so look at these statistics. Less than 9% of Indiana is African American, yet current polls show the Obama Clinton race is a dead heat. Get out your calculator and you’ll see that at least 45% of the non-African American population must be on Obama’s side. That’s despite the fact our senator and former governor, Evan Bayh, is Clinton’s campaign chair.

And by the way, it’s unfortunate Evan Bayh doesn’t have Obama’s game or Hillary’s husband because unlike either of them, he is a PROVEN leader with a record as an EXCELLENT governor and is actually CAPABLE of reaching across party lines.

Yet without ever having been to Indiana you can pigeon hole the whole state as ignorant hicks. Pat yourselves on the back–it’s not easy to be that hypocritical.

I probably won’t vote for Obama but it’s not for reasons of race or religion. He just seems to idealistic (no time as a governor and little in Washington) to be an effective president and I didn’t feel like all of his ideas on his website are fully thought out. I’d consider voting for him in 4/8 years.

Posted by John Henderson | Report as abusive

One of the great shames of this country is the ignorance that is extent in the population. While we send people through high school, they get diplomas without an education. We end up with too many very very poorly informed people hanging out at the coffee shop expounding and airing their ignorance to the press.
It is even worse that they appear to have no way or inclination to educate themselves though newspapers or the internet. What a mess. These are the very people who are persuaded that fighting a war in Iraq is the thing to do to “protect” democracy by blowing apart a poor nation with uneducated citizens as ignorant as they are themselves. Yeech…the nit wits in the Indiana coffee shop are a national embarrassment.

In response to Jim Kr., these are not people, as you put it, airing their ignorance to the press. This is a reporter hounding people on their lunch looking for three-word quotes to make a partisan political statement–shameless spin journalism.

Answer this question to yourself and be honest: How hard would it be to interview a number of African Americans and pick and choose a few words here and there to make it look like every black person in America was voting for Obama purely on the color of his skin? In my opinion it would be really easy.

The biggest disgrace in this article is the writer who obviously doesn’t mind setting aside the principles of ethical journalism for an easy payday.

Posted by John Henderson | Report as abusive

I was going to ask….how can a man who has belonged to a Church for 20 years and referred to his Pastor as his Spiritual Advisor (although now he claims he was not…he was only his Pastor) claim that he did not know what his Pastor was all about?

I was going to ask…but Fred Jones (above) said it all.

MY FELLOW “BITTER”, STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE :-)

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of “BITTER”!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary’s than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith… Working Class :-)

p.s. You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you don’t know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering…

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don’t die from. And I could go on, and on…

OBAMA AIDE: “WORKING-CLASS VOTERS NOT KEY FOR DEMOCRATS” :o

DEBATE! DEBATE!! DEBATE!!!…

Posted by jacksmith | Report as abusive

DEBATE! DEBATE!! DEBATE!!!

It’s time for everyone to face the truth. Barack Obama has no real chance of winning the national election in November at this time. His crushing defeat in Pennsylvania makes that fact crystal clear. His best, and only real chance of winning in November is on a ticket with Hillary Clinton as her VP.

Hillary Clinton seemed almost somber at her Pennsylvania victory speech. As if part of her was hoping Obama could have proved he had some chance of winning against the republican attack machine, and their unlimited money, and resources.

But it is absolutely essential that the democrats take back the Whitehouse in November. America, and the American people are in a very desperate condition now. And the whole World has been doing all that they can to help keep us propped up.

Hillary Clinton say’s that the heat, and decisions in the Whitehouse are much tougher than the ones on the campaign trail. But I think Mr. Obama faces a test of whether he has what it takes to be a commander and chief by facing the difficult facts, and the truth before him. And by doing what is best for the American people by dropping out of the race, and offering his whole hearted assistance to Hillary Clinton to help her take back the Whitehouse for the American people, and the World.

Mr. Obama is a great speaker. And I am confident he can explain to the American people the need, and wisdom of such a personal sacrifice for them. It should be clear to everyone by now that Hillary Clinton is fighting her heart out for the American people. She has known for a long time that Mr. Obama can not win this November. You have to remember that the Clinton’s have won the Whitehouse twice before. They know what it takes.

If Mr. Obama fails his test of commander and chief we can only hope that Hillary Clinton can continue her heroic fight for the American people. And that she prevails. She will need all the continual support and help we can give her. She may fight like a superhuman. But she is only human.

Sen. Hillary Clinton: “You know, more people have now voted for me than have voted for my opponent. In fact, I now have more votes than anybody has ever had in a primary contest for a nomination. And it’s also clear that we’ve got nine more important contests to go.”

Sincerely

Jacksmith… Working Class :-)

Posted by jacksmith | Report as abusive

Look at voters in any of the sates like Indiana, Florida and possibly Pennsylvania, they tend to pretty average Americans. Each of the states have their own thing. The People from Indiana still put the word “GOD” on some of their plates. The Floridians still are arguing about if Darwin should be taught in schools. Pennsylvania *SHOULD* know better but their typical school graduates are pretty far down in national averages, which shows they do not spend money well on their educational institutions. Each of the states above should know better than to be cheap on education. So when it comes to getting anything close of an informed opinion from these people you are dealing with less than average people. Other states like Mass or Connecticut (and a few more in the NE) spend a lot more per pupil and those states tend to have no issues with people like O’Bama.

On the other side you have Hillary Clinton and she tends to do well in states that have educated citizens.

Both candidates bring something to the political table. Both are different yet are not (IMO) lightweights. Although O’Bama is not quite as sharp as Hillary, IMO. Both candidates are reasonable people to run for President. Neither of them has as much political savvy as they say they do. I am worried about several issues on both sides and I will follow the champaign to see if any of them stumble really bad. O’Bama has stumbled with how he handled the minister and that is why he may loose the nomination. I hope not but if he does the black people cannot say its the “whitey” that lost him the nomination it is easily blamable on the minister. No one else.
I am really surprised that the black leadership hasn’t told the minister to go away.
I can only guess the reason is that religion is playing too strong a role in politics and *IF* that is the case the black people have a LOT to learn about politics.

Posted by Ed Gould | Report as abusive

I think his backgorund isn’t such that important. It’s his vision and quality that our country need now. Even he’s a Muslim, we should not judge the presidential candidate by his/her religion, race, etc. If we keep doing that, we will lose many great chances and advantages of being lead by great quality leader. Remember, E Pluribus Unum.

Posted by david | Report as abusive

A man may say in his relaxed moment a coarse and questionable thing that he would never have said in public–and that very thing may lodge in someone’s memory and stay there unforgotten. Pythagoras, the Greek philosopher, said, “Choose rather to fling a chance stone than to speak a chance word.” Once the hurting word or the soiling word is spoken nothing will bring it back; and it pursues a course of damage wherever it goes.

Posted by Jin Bell | Report as abusive

It is so wonderful to hear the comments these people have made regarding Obama..I do lots of blogs and there are many Obama supporters..It is hard to understand how anyone can support a man that went to the same church for 20 years and NEVER heard his pastor preaching anything negative..Yet when it is convenient for him politically he FINALLY denounces him..Too little, too late…We have no idea as to his real beliefs..This is scary..His past associations with Rezco, Ayers and others is also scary…We do not know this man at all..He will not even provide his original birth certificate…All other Presidents have. Why not Obama??He is good at whing when things get rough and very good at pulling the race card..We need far more than those qualifications in a President. His temper seems awfully short fused also…At least we know who we are voting for with Hillary Clinton…She is the one that will help the economy and bring our Soldiers home. HRC is our only hope. A vote for Obama is a vote for McCain….

Posted by kaye c. | Report as abusive

It is very sad to see how many people are misinformed. So many believe only what the media say. They do not take the time to research information to seek truth. Obama has never,never ever claimed to be Muslim.

Obama was a member of the church for 20 years but that does not mean he sat in the church every Sunday, week after week hearing these messages. The last 8 years he traveled to Washington back and forth. I personally have sat at John Hagee’s church in San Antonio and have heard remarks very contraversial. Yet because he delivered a great message about Christ it kept us there.

Obama was the co-chairman of the campaign funding commitee to restrict lobbyiest money. He also claimed present only in many votes because as with many other bills that come throught have attachments that are not discussed and cost billions of dollars. There is no line item veto and therefore you can either vote for, against or present. So do the research on the votes of why he voted present. Many bills have hidden attachments.

As far as the unexperienced is concerned, Everyone thought George Bush was experineced and what happened there? Just because Hilary was in the white house when her husband was president does not make her experienced to be president. Just look at her record in New York.

New York currently has one of the largest deficits in the nation. It also has one of the largest unemployment rates in the country. These were two main items she proposed to taking care of if elected as senator. What happened there? Her husband Billy, also brought NAFTA. Where are all our jobs at. Although she opposes nafta now, why has she voted on some tax breaks for these corporations that take their companies overseas or into mexico.

Hilary’s weak voting record and not fully researching before voting displace her weak decision making skills.

McCain and his Keating five controversey with taking lobbying money along with his buddy Phill Gramm, who was chairman of the banking commitee dosn’t show very much promise. McCain has Gramm as his economic advisor, but examine what Phill Gramm did to bring on the forclosure and sub-prime crisis. McCain has been in the senate for 20years and what difference and experience has he made for our country? Nothing!!!!!!!!!

It time for change and a new method of conducting government. I know I would like my children to have an opportunity of a good life and not a life of debt that our country has aquired. Over 400 million dollars a day is spend in the Iraqy war. Lets move forward

Go Obama,

Posted by Laura Tyler | Report as abusive

I am “biracial”, like Obama, and a woman. At the beginning of the election I did not support Clinton or Obama, but the white male, Kucinich, who I believed would bring about great change for our country and who was also very experienced.

I wanted to support Hillary because I liked many things about her when Bill was in office. The Clinton years were good and back then I hoped she would one day be president. But it appears she is heavily entrenched in the political machine. Some of her decisions as senator and her corporate ties make it hard to tell where her true allegiance lies, and this makes her hard to trust. I also have been saddened by the “low road” she has been willing to take in the primary competition.

I don’t know a lot about Obama, but I like him so far because he comes across as having a lot of integrity. He seems to care about the people in this country, those who need help. And he has mostly taken the “high road”. Even in that last debate, when the moderator went after Hillary for misspeaking about the Bosnia sniper fire, Obama defended her and basically said “so what” she didn’t remember right. Get over it.

I believe that some white Americans are afraid of him. Since I am part of the black community and the white community, I can understand both sides. There are angry people in both communities, especially older Americans. As younger generation, we respect them, even though we don’t hold those beliefs. We understand the history and why they feel the way they do. It is possible to love both sides, even with those flaws, and even though we don’t agree with them. I think it is a shame that any one would think Obama holds the same beliefs and Rev. Wright, just because he went to that church or may have received mentoring or spiritual advice from him. Or to assume that political things were even discussed in sermons over the past 20 years. Wrights crazy ideas may not have even surfaced until one of his parishioners was running for president. Who knows? Why assume the worst? Because Obama seems to be the guy who can care about old and bitter people from black community all the way to those in Shelbyville quoted in this article. And everyone in between. We need a man like that. Especially now.

Posted by Dee | Report as abusive

Ah….Karl Rove’s America. White, ignorant, bigoted, and damn proud of it. These people would make Gomer Pyle look like a Rhodes Scholar.

Posted by OregonDan | Report as abusive

It’s hard to imagine how the morons quoted in that article (and their fellow stupids in this thread) manage to survive in this world of busy intersections, sharp objects, and cleaning products that look plausibly like artificial sweeteners. Yes, I know, we’re supposed to pretend that you cretins represent heartland values, but your genuine frontier gibberish is just racist, paranoid, blinkered nonsense stuck in your tiny little minds like a bug up your ass. Actually, there’s a thought. Maybe you have a primitive midbrain lodged in your hindquarters like the dinosaurs, controlling how you breathe, keeping your hands off hot stoves, and telling you how to vote in presidential elections.

In any event, just like anyone can make a baby so can anyone vote. Slack-jawed yokels and mouth-breathing yahoos can both reproduce and elect idiots like George Bush President of the United States. In this cycle the stupid vote is focused on the vital issue of whether Barack Obama is a radical black Muslim atheist terrorist Marxist, or maybe just a black guy. In either event they won’t vote for him, but if he’s a radical black Muslim atheist terrorist Marxist, then:

You got to draw a hard line
When the gun smoke settles we’ll sing a victory tune
We’ll all meet back at the local saloon
We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces
Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

Later there will be puking and wife-beating.

Posted by I need to take a shower after reading this | Report as abusive

1. Barack Obama was raised by his WHITE grandparents and his WHITE mother.

2. As a child, people called him Barry

3. He is a Christian.

4. He will win the nomination. Mark my words.

Posted by kdon | Report as abusive

To the person way up above – Shelbyville may be a small town, but that does not make all of us hicks. And there are many of us from Shelbyville who do read a political article, or even two. Yes, that means we know how to read, so already we must be “brighter” than you think. I am an avid Obama supporter, and I grew up in this “hick town.” I do not share any of the misconceptions that the interviewed people do. Please take this as a lesson that you cannot judge any group by the actions of a few of its members.

Posted by Shelbyvillian | Report as abusive

VOTE FOR OBAMA
THERE IS NO CHOICE.

If you want to save this country, if you are a patriot, if you can’t stand the same-old spin, BS, political lies, bankrupting this country by invading other countries without reason,poor education and health standards that this country has assumed for the last 30 years, you better vote for Obama.

IWe need to love our country again.
We need other countries to respect and admire us again. Right now, we are becoming the world’s biggest joke and the world’s largest money machine— Bush-Clinton- Bush- Clinton

Take courage. Be strong – have the guts to become a new founding father and founding mother of this country now. Fight to get American’s soul and America’s survival back. You and all your friends must vote for Obama if you wish to save America’s great potencial.

I am a retired, white,business oriented gal. The truth, not political spin, will set us all free… women, men and children.

Clinton-Bsu- Clinton
‘s biggest joke.

Posted by michelle tallent | Report as abusive

Senator Obama’s father was a muslim, he was raised a muslim. At some point in his life he shifted his faith to “Christian,” which isn’t Christian at all, it’s a liberation mentality rooted in Marxism. And if you think he’s lying, well he is. They all are. That’s what politician’s do. It’s impossible to be a Christian politician, whether Republican or Democrat, Obama or McCain, Clinton or Bush. It doesn’t matter. To be a successful politician you must at some point compromise your faith and go against what the Bible says. (Ex. Lying, deception, selfishness, bitterness, greed, etc.)Faith cannot be legislated, it is only by an experience with truth.

Posted by The Herald | Report as abusive