Tales from the Trail

Clinton says time to “move on” from Obama’s pastor crisis

May 4, 2008

hillary-pic.jpgINDIANAPOLIS – Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said on Sunday it was time to move beyond the controversy surrounding Barack Obama’s former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

”We should definitely move on,” the New York senator said in response to an audience member’s question on the ABC television program “This Week.”

“We should move on because there’s so many important issues facing our country that we have to attend to.”

Wright, who presided over the Illinois senator’s wedding and baptized his children, has dominated the news in recent weeks after repeating his position that the United States deserved some blame for the Sept 11, 2001 attacks and had created AIDS to harm black people.

Obama broke with the minister last week, calling his comments “outrageous.”

Clinton, who is trailing Obama in votes and delegates who determine the Democratic Party’s White House nominee, has said she would have left the church where Wright presided. Obama has been a member of the church since 1992.

ABC moderator George Stephanopoulos pressed Clinton on whether concerns about Wright should  be raised with superdelegates — party leaders and elected officials — whose support she needs to overcome Obama’s lead and clinch the nomination.

“Well, people talk about it,” she said. “There’s no doubt they talk about it.  But what people I think are more interested in is what we would do and what kind of president we would be.”

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo credit: Reuters/Jeff Haynes

Comments
18 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Hooray and Thank you ,Senator Clinton and Senator McCain for the Gas Holiday Proposal.
The Stimulus plan of $600 is so significant , it can solve the Slow Economy ….
I hope someone can do the math more accurately . I’m just a poor dumb working stiff , Not nearly as Elite and educated as Mr Obama’s Group .
As I hear him tell it , the Gas Holiday would only put about $35 / month in my pocket .
For some of us working people that is quite significant .
$36 dollars per month can solve our slow economy woes ????????? Plus all the many tens of thousands of jobs it will save !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$600 ( stimulus) is only received by a targeted group …

The $35 dollar / month Gas Holiday , Is received by EVERYONE , including companies large and small , even the truck drivers as Mrs Clinton reminds us , the people who bring our food to the stores that can help hold down food cost for everyone’s family .
Senator McCain and Senator Clinton’s Gas Tax Break , approximately $35 / month is received by the entire population , I think it is Mrs Clinton who should state that she will be the President for ALL THE PEOPLE …. I recall Mr Obama erroneously made that statement…( but – that was only words not, as powerful or convincing as the action of Senator Clinton). I believe if one of Mr Elite’s economists would do a few calculations , He would discover the $35/month Gas Tax Break would be more affective than the $600 dollar stimulus plan .
Thanks in advance Senator Clinton for the Gas Holiday Bill , I doubt it will pass , But – I hope someone can point out to mr elite how much $35/ month is when it is multiplied by the entire population .

While I am beating up on Mr Obama , when I was a child , through my teen years , and through my years as a working adult , The people I called my close friends , and my associates I hung around with , None of which achieved a level of being my mentor , You could see a lot of me in them , their beliefs and lifestyle were very close to mine , I saw the same thing in my own children growing up – the people they hung out with and associated themselves with are very much like them , My mentors were My Dad , Uncle , grandfather , and 2 other people . We were very like minded , We are so much alike , I feel one of my mentors would join me to sacrifice our stimulus check to buy Mr Wright a one-way ticket BACK to Libya for his retirement , and Mr Obama – since My mentors and Myself are so like minded I feel confident 2 more of them would also donate their stimulus check so you could accompany Mr wright to Libya to live . To clarify that my wish for you is not in bad thought , it is only I know Mr Wright wishes to retire , So my wish for him is not hateful , it is only that if he retires here in America , everywhere he looks He will see people Like me , and He will feel his life’s work is not yet done , In Libya , all Those lovely people around him will be full of hate , and will be committed to the destruction of America , He will have a peaceful retirement surrounded by like minded people who will make him feel his life’s work is complete , and for you Mr Obama , being surrounded by like minded people , who also hate America , I feel confident you will become acquainted with a few more like minded people , and you will soon will have as many mentors in your life as I have .

Posted by Mark | Report as abusive

If Hillary wants to avoid saying something nasty, it is because he polling says that Obama is strong on that issue. Nastiness is life mendacity, it is as basic to her a breathing.

Posted by Ron M | Report as abusive

If Hillary wants to avoid saying something nasty, it is because her polling says that Obama is strong on the issue. Nastiness is like mendacity, it is as basic as breathing.

Posted by Ron M | Report as abusive

Exactly, move on. Wright is a red herring devised by Fox to try and brainwash voters into thinking Obama is somehow like Wright…no on believes this. The Fox red necks are like a stuck record. Vote Obama.

Posted by ian mathson | Report as abusive

Now thats a joke..she created the whole Wright controversy and not two weeks ago at that dumb debate was more than willing to keep it going. Pleaseeee Hillary…take your pandering and go home.

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

HILLARY CLINTON CAN BEST WIN IN NOVEMBER:

It’s time for everyone to face the truth. Barack Obama has no real chance of winning the national election in November at this time. His crushing defeat in Pennsylvania makes that fact crystal clear. His best, and only real chance of winning in November is on a ticket with Hillary Clinton as her VP.

Hillary Clinton seemed almost somber at her Pennsylvania victory speech. As if part of her was hoping Obama could have proved he had some chance of winning against the republican attack machine, and their unlimited money, and resources.

But it is absolutely essential that the democrats take back the Whitehouse in November. America, and the American people are in a very desperate condition now. And the whole World has been doing all that they can to help keep us propped up.

Hillary Clinton say’s that the heat, and decisions in the Whitehouse are much tougher than the ones on the campaign trail. But I think Mr. Obama faces a test of whether he has what it takes to be a commander and chief by facing the difficult facts, and the truth before him. And by doing what is best for the American people by dropping out of the race, and offering his whole hearted assistance to Hillary Clinton to help her take back the Whitehouse for the American people, and the World.

Mr. Obama is a great speaker. And I am confident he can explain to the American people the need, and wisdom of such a personal sacrifice for them. It should be clear to everyone by now that Hillary Clinton is fighting her heart out for the American people. She has known for a long time that Mr. Obama can not win this November. You have to remember that the Clinton’s have won the Whitehouse twice before. They know what it takes.

If Mr. Obama fails his test of commander and chief we can only hope that Hillary Clinton can continue her heroic fight for the American people. And that she prevails. She will need all the continual support and help we can give her. She may fight like a superhuman. But she is only human.

Sen. Hillary Clinton: “You know, more people have now voted for me than have voted for my opponent. In fact, I now have more votes than anybody has ever had in a primary contest for a nomination. And it’s also clear that we’ve got nine more important contests to go.”

Sincerely

Jacksmith… Working Class :-)

Posted by jacksmith | Report as abusive

I think we would all like to “move on”. However it is not that easy when you have Obama running for President of our United States and we find out he has spent 20 years with Rev. Wright learning the lessons that Wright taught. A THEOLOGY OF BLACK LIBERATION….I realize Obama is half black but there are a lot of us “typical white people” out here that wants a leader who is for all the people…In 20 years your brain absorbs a lot and it appears that Wright is totally hung up on the race issue so that is what Obama learned..I have blogged a lot now and have requested an answer as to why the media did not vet Obama at the onset like they always do other Presidential Candidates…Why isn’t Obama’s birth certificate even posted??Who is he really??.I heard at the grocers that Obamas Father already had him when he met the white lady that helped raise him..Also that he has been a lady’s man…Where was he really born??..These are questions that should have been answered at the onset..Our future is dependent on us as a Nation putting the right perosn in office this time…HRC is the candidate that can help restore our jobs, help the economy and most of all….BRING OUR TROOPS HOME….

Posted by kaye c. | Report as abusive

Why do Obama supporters blame Clinton for the Rev. Wright affair .
He did a fine job of mishandling that all by himself. He was untruthful and lacked judgement by first skirting the issue and didn’t come out to make a statement until it started hurting him politically.
It exposed him as man with no integrity and proved he used the black church as a political stepping stone.

Posted by Tania | Report as abusive

I can’t believe some of these comments. I will admit that Rev. Wright is nuts! But I had to say something. Obama was born in America and the question I’m asking is “Were you born in America Kaye C?” Because someone is black, excuse me black and white like you, doesn’t mean he is a ladies man. That sounds more like a job for Bill Clinton. Remember him? The husband of Hilary Clinton. I think she has proven that she makes bad decisions in her personal life by staying with a man that cheated on her. That does not sound like a strong woman to me. Finally after 200 yrs. of my family being hard working Americans there will be a change from the same old Hillary hit em where it hurts politics.
Also, my Catholic priest makes controversial comments almost every week. I didn’t know that another man’s view became my own? Think about it….Vote Obama. It’s 2008.
STOP MAKING EXCUSSES FOR YOU PREDJUDICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Big Dave | Report as abusive

Mark, your math skills leave a lot to be desired. $36 X 12 = $420. And…..thta depends on how much you drive. People who don’t drive at all will receive NO relief, and yes there are people with no cars. People with hybrids would get less relief. People with 4 cylinder engines would get less of a break than people with SUV’s.

The gas tax is 18.2 cents. So for every 20 gallons of gas you buy, you get 1 gallon free…which also depends on WHICH gas you buy, some cars only take premium. If you get 15 miles per gallon and you have a 16 gallon tank, you can drive 240 miles on a tank. You would have to drive an extra 60 miles before you even BEGIN to see a benefit. And to save $36 a month, you’d have to drive another 150 miles.

So you’d have to drive 390 miles ($95 in gas) a month to save $36. And you think this will be a boon to the economy?

Besides, she CAN’T force the oil companies to do this. They have to pass a law through both houses before that can happen, and Bush has to sign it. Sorry, summer would be long gone by the time it ever comes into effect.

Marginally, I would say those who travel for their job or live in the country far from grocery stores and stuff would be helped, and those who drive giant SUV’s I suppose.

Why don’t they look into why diesel suddenly and with no explanation became more expensive than regular gas and maybe give tax breaks to truckers, trucking companies, or other businesses that are willing to convert to bio-fuel to save energy. I know a trucker that started running his truck on vegetable oil. He said it’s great. They even have home converter kits.

How about tax breaks or grants to people willing to set up bio-fuel stations for truckers that converted? Not this nonsense they want. It’s just stupid and won’t ever happen.

Posted by Julie | Report as abusive

kayec said “Why isn’t Obama’s birth certificate even posted??Who is he really??.I heard at the grocers that Obamas Father already had him when he met the white lady that helped raise him..Also that he has been a lady’s man…Where was he really born??”

When have you EVER seen a candidate’s birth certificate. Let’s get McCain’s – he was a Navy brat. Where was he born, I think Panama….OMG, he must be a drug dealing, anti-American like Noriega!!! He must have been appalled that we attacked the place of his birth.

Quick, see if he voted for THAT invasion!! Did he try to spirit Noriega out of th country. Did he vote to give the Panama Canal back to the Panamanians? Is he behind Panama being the new retirement community of choice? Did he buy property there so he can retire to his birth place?

Please stop. This is all SO STUPID and inconsequential.

I want to know….
What they studied in undergrad?
Where did they finish in their class? (Bush and Kerry had D averages, McCain finished in the bottom third of his class and Hillary went to Vassar in the 60′s. What did they teach there then, how to throw embassy dinner parties?)Nearly all of them are always lawyers so that’s irrelevant.
Where do they see themselves in 10 years?
Can we drug test them? We have to get drug tested for minimum wage jobs.
Can we run background checks? we have to get them.

That’s what I want to know about these people. I could care less what their preacher said, and Hillary’s was arrested for being a pedophile!! SO WHAT!!

Posted by Julie | Report as abusive

Hillary’s preacher was arrested?

Who cares?

Vote for Hillary.

Barack will never win, and God help us if John McCain wins.

Posted by Nicole Schtaffer | Report as abusive

In agreement, Julie. Obama’s supporters might be drinking Kool-aid, but at least it’s not laced with LSD. You anti-Obama people sound like crazy paranoid cult members loose from the compound. While you crazies are busy defending your bigotry “we are honoring his middle name”, you love getting all freaked out about Muslims taking over the country (or bad Christians)and (OMG) black people are trying to enslave the white race!

Go put another flag magnet on your car!

Posted by alice | Report as abusive

Mark, it’s not $35 a month they’re talking about saving with the gas tax holiday, it’s less than $30 TOTAL over a 3-MONTH period; less than $10 a month. At the cost of over 300,000 jobs, that’s not much savings, is it? And do you really trust the oil companies to pass that savings on to you? They haven’t proved themselves to be terribly worried about the everyday American people so far, have they? I highly recommend you think about this really carefully and do some research into the issue before making a final decision.

Posted by Anne in TX | Report as abusive

I don’t know why Mrs. Clinton is so generous and nice towards Obama and his political machinaries despite Obama’s corrossive and abrassive politicking. How come she is protecting him on the Rev. Wright saga while Obama is attacking and questioning her judgement, integrity and reputation? That Obama stayed in a church that spewed such hate for 20 years is more than enough to disqualify him for lack of judgement. Mrs. Clinton should no be so nice to a man that have nothing good to say about the Clinton’s 8 years economic boom nor her lifetime contribution to the poor and disenfrachized including black people. It hurts so much how Obama and the media has attacked President Clinton and attempted to make him ineffective in this race by using everything he said against. Then after all that Mrs. Clinton is being so benevelent in protect this novice and sleek poilitician named Obama.

Posted by Ed Banks | Report as abusive

@Mark: “Let me test my math skills : $600 (stimulus) – ( year end taxes) 28% = about $432 , Divide that by 12 months = about $36 / month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

1) The stimulus package money is not subject to taxation. Therefore, the correct math would be $600 / 12 months = $50 / month in benefit. The stimulus money is likely to be spent over a shorter period of time, thereby increasing the total per month impact.

2) The total expected average savings by the gas tax holiday is $30 in total (not per month, IN TOTAL). An average of ~$0.30 savings per day per driver.

$600 per tax payer versus $30 per driver is a large difference.

Posted by Bob | Report as abusive

The fact of the matter is most people are closet racist, and are terrified of a black person holding the highest political position in the US. So they come up with completely radical beliefs such as Kay C’s and Mark’s without doing their research. The Gas Tax Holiday is the dumbest thing I heard of, and those pawning it off as a good thing (ie. McCain and Hillary) are not telling the people whom are voting for them the truth. Gas Tax pays for roads and their repairs. So you may have a full gas tank for $0.80 less than what you are paying to fill it up now with, However, you are gaining the cost for gas to go up a $1.50 compensate for you $0.80 less as well as more money going to your local tire store for all the freaking potholes you’ll run over. I do have my doubts about Obama, but I have even more doubts about Clinton, and the sad thing is that my doubts about her don’t even include her lack of morals and compulsive aversion to the truth. This fake gas tax holiday for one, and the mandatory healthcare, which can translate to an Canadian system. 46% of each paycheck goes to the system. We will be paying for it more than you think. I think Clinton will run this economy like her current campaign, IN DEBT. Obama has a wide range of funds because people believe in him and are contributing to his campaign. I have not at least as of yet…I may. BUT a presidential campaign’s organization should be a factor in your vote. Calm and collected or crazy and chaotic where people are jumping her ship left and right for the Obama boats. I feel she deserves to run her campaign down to the ground should she choose to but her “If I don’t win democratic nomination no one will mentality is doing nothing but hurting herself as well as the interest in a Democratic President. And if you think Bush was scary take a look at McCains voting record, he wants to bomb everything, he was in favor of going into and bombing N.Korea, he is in favor of bombing Iran, and he knows nothing about economy. If he gets in we are all screwed and broke.

Posted by Aerica | Report as abusive

This is directed at Ed’s comments above

“I don’t know why Mrs. Clinton is so generous and nice towards…How come she is protecting him on the Rev. Wright saga”

Ed, this is a continuation of Hillary’s political manuevering. The reason is that she basically knows she can’t win anymore, so she’s trying to save face by pretending what she has done has been a good thing for the Democratic Party. Any other candidate would’ve dropped out once they did the simple math and used a bit of logical reasoning “I can’t win unless I do some things that will hurt the Democratic party end game goal of winning in November, because if I stay in it any longer I go past the point of diminishing returns and will really be helping our end game opponents for these 3 reasons:

1) I would “bloody” Obama for the Republicans
2) would have to overturn the rules that I myself originally agreed to (FL & MI) and
3) Since I didn’t win the popular vote I would also have to give the Republicans further ammunition by convincing them Obama would not make as good a Pres as me. More importantly, I would have to take a big shit on the majority of the Primary voters when I appeal to the superdelegates to overturn the will of the voters.

ANy other candidate would have looked at these three things back in March or February even (when Clinton Aides say they “lost it”) and say, “OK if this is what it takes for me to win then I don’t think it’s worth it.” But not Hillary. She knew that this election was her only shot at having a go at the Presidency and that with what Bush has done in office to the Republican name (shat all over it) it should in theory be pretty easy for the Democrats to win in November. That was her original thinking, but thanks to her power hungry campaign now Obama has a much bigger hurdle to get over.

So to answer your above question, Hillary knows that she has done some pretty questionable things here. She is simply trying to get a head start at coloring the perceptions of the next part of this conversation when Obama finally does clinch the ticket and the media inevitable starts asking “was Hillary a good thing for the Dems?”.

She sees the writing on the wall, and is trying to make people forget about all of her erratic and crazy past behavior and only focus on the current nice guy status ala “I, Hillary Clinton was a formidible opponent and waged a high class, respectful campaign” rather than the truth of how she should view her actions “I, Hillary Clinton ran a negative, self serving campaign, I lied to manipulate my so called ‘first lady’ experience and was caught, I condemned Obama for many many things that should not have come from a fellow Democrat, and I realize now that I took a huge gamble with the 2008 election and if the Democrats lose then it will be my fault”

She doesn’t want her legacy to be for how she actually did conduct her campaign – outrageous negative attacks, power hungry, & divisive. So now she is trying to change her story in a quick hurry. Her change in tone started last week when she said she would support Obama if he wins and this latest thing about Wright is basically Hillary further admitting that the race is over. She did btw add fuel to Americas ridiculous fear of Obama (remember those “obama is muslim” emails that came from her campaign workers, the pictures of Obama in “muslim” clothes, her saying McCain would be a stronger leader than Obama, The 3AM ad, the debate where Hillary herself set the tone to come for Obama not going far enough to repudiate his supporters (Farakahn at that debate). Thats why you hear people saying Hillary “bloodied” Obama in ways the Republicans couldn’t because McCain actually said “lets not look at what the supporters say, lets look at what the Candidate says themself, and went further trying to get the Wright NC add pulled”. Hillary did not forsee the way the Wright thing would resonate with a lot of people, and now she thinks she can just fix it by saying lets move on. Sorry Hillary, the damage you caused has been done. You can’t hit the UNDO button. You rolled the dice, and if we lose this campaign in 08 America has no one to blame but Hillary & Bill Clinton.

As I said to begin with, it’s political posturing that now serves Hillary’s interest of saving her reputation.

You can expect more of the same out of her,

After not meeting her intended goals this past Tuesday (to convince the Superdelegates that they should overthrow Obama would’ve required Hillary to garnish a huge victory of 10+ percentage points in both Indiana and North Carolina) Hillary now basically E

Posted by Jenny | Report as abusive